Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
nicholas
Scribe

Default ReaMix and User Guide: Distribution Changes

As you might know, LULU have recently hiked up their prices for both hard copy publications and for shipping. A number of people have commented that this, especially the latter, really makes the books unaffordable for them.

In response to this I'm trying an experiment. I do need to generate some income form these to make the time spent on them affordable to me, but also don't want people to be unable to afford them. I've therefore done the following, at least for a while:

1. Reduced my margin on the printed editions to the bare bones. This has enabled me to go some way to bringing the prices back down closer to what they were.

2. Increased the price on the PDF User Guide from $5.00 to $7.50. Well I have to eat! This is printable - you can download this and print it locally if you like.

3. A PDF download of ReaMix is now available for $12.50. This too can be printed locally if you wish, avoiding shipping costs.

I'll trial this system and see how it goes. Meanwhile any constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

And I sure won't be using LULU for any future publications ....
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post

3. A PDF download of ReaMix is now available for $12.50. This too can be printed locally if you wish, avoiding shipping costs.
Quite tempted to get this next week! (I hope you would make some profit out of it this way...)
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
MichaJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Maybe a silly question...: Where?
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
Maybe a silly question...: Where?
Not a silly question, silly me for not making it clear. If you follow this link (same as in my signature) you should find it:
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1374784

(It's possible LULU haven't put the PDF option up yet - if it's not there, try again later)
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
bmanic

Is there any way for old customers of ReaMix to get the PDF or does this require an additional purchase?

Cheers!
bManic
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Europanaut

Thanks Nicholas,

Paid for and downloaded.

euro
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Tale

Shipping costs at Lulu.com seem to be back to normal again, although the costs have increased. For my location it was € 4.99, it's € 5.67 now, so that's not too bad.

By the way, if I was offered the download in the first place, I probably would have bought the download and not the hardcopy. Although I'm still very happy with my hardcopy.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #8
MichaJo

Paid for, downloaded, reading, happy!
Thanks Nicholas!

Michael
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
el-russo

Thank you very much,Nicholas.
I'm glad you made your book available as a PDF file.
Just purchased and downloaded it.
el-russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
phillip2637

Quote:
And I sure won't be using LULU for any future publications ....
I'm very happy with my printed version of ReaMix (and the manual for that matter), but almost as happy to hear of the above decision. As a company that presents itself as being in the business of filling orders, their attitude toward doing so didn't strike me as very reassuring from a customer point of view.

I hope you find an alternate method of distribution that makes you a lot of money.
phillip2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
timboz

Has anything changed in the curent version of ReaMix-Breaking the Barriers or is it still the same as the version I purchesed back in May?
timboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Indemuse

Default Thank You!

I recently received my printed copy of ReaMix from Lulu and did not mind paying for it at all! I wanted to let you know that; out of all the books and DVDs I have purchased, and out of all the Internet videos I have watched on yootoob ReaMix had been the most helpful. For example - the section on using EQ for conflict resolution has allowed me to grasp that concept clearly and simply where before I read and read - then simply guessed at what I needed. Sometimes I hit the mark, most often though I struggled.
So hats off to Nicholas, Geoffrey, Spike, and all the others who have contributed to this work. ReaMix is definitely on the top of my stack of stuff now!
Indemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboz View Post
Has anything changed in the curent version of ReaMix-Breaking the Barriers or is it still the same as the version I purchesed back in May?
The only changes since May will have been tidying up a few minor typos. The grand plan is to wait for Reaper's development for about another year or so, then republish an expanded edition. At least that's the theory!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
shogger

Cool Nicholas,

Wanna buy that stuff next month. Wasn't happy with the Reamix paper only version. Now pdf will be cool for me.
And thanx for all your efforts!

Shogger
shogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
jonespnice

I just recieved my reamix in the mail today, but I will not be able to read thru it until monday (this is a busy weekend). I will check it out and give my opinions. Peace.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
harmonik

Paid for both. Thank You. (prefer downloads)
harmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #17
nicholas
Scribe

Bump ... because in the last few days I've heard from a few more people (outside USA) who have been quoted outrageous shipping rates.

If this happens to you, purchase the PDF download and get it printed locally. Both of the LULU PDF downloads are printable ...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #18
With an E

Nicholas,

I have posted this several times and you don't reply....

The facts that REAPER usage is expanding exponentially and the updates are coming quick and fast means there must be HUGE potential for selling affordable booklets to help the REAPER and/or recording newbie. Perhaps you don't have the time or the inclination, but you did say you need to eat

Who wouldn't pay 10$£€ to learn how to optimize REAPER's preferences settings for example? I can't see it causing any resentment - only joy!
With an E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #19
Tale

Quote:
Bump ... because in the last few days I've heard from a few more people (outside USA) who have been quoted outrageous shipping rates.
Yeah, the Lulu.com website has gone bezerk again. But I'm sure their shipping costs aren't really that high at all (duh ), I think their (buggy) website just shows the costs incorrectly (again).
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #20
bluzkat

There was once talk of a 'Beginner's Guide', I'm not sure if it's still a possibility. Maybe Nicholas can shed some light on this.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #21
With an E

Hi Bluzcat,

Even non-beginners would reap the benefits of learning about the prefs and how different settings might affect track count, sound quality etc, as I guess you'd agree. IE: lots of people, lots of customers
Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #22
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by With an E View Post
Nicholas,

I have posted this several times and you don't reply....

The facts that REAPER usage is expanding exponentially and the updates are coming quick and fast means there must be HUGE potential for selling affordable booklets to help the REAPER and/or recording newbie. Perhaps you don't have the time or the inclination, but you did say you need to eat

Who wouldn't pay 10$£€ to learn how to optimize REAPER's preferences settings for example? I can't see it causing any resentment - only joy!
Sorry, only just seen your post!

Here is the latest update.

LULU seem to have completely fallen out of their tree. They're still quoting insane shipping rates for many non-US customers - in one recent case over $150 for ONE BOOK - that's shipping alone!!! When I queried this with them, they said this was "beyond their control". Yest some people get quoted sensible shipping costs, others insane ones.

They're still giving me (and others) any manner of grief in all sorts of other ways. Too much of my time is being wasted trying to sort these issues out, on top of which although most people don't do this, I've also had a couple of very unpleasant experiences where people have held me responsible for these stuff ups. One person even tried to get MY PayPal account funds frozen because of THEIR stuff up.

So as you can see I'm not a very happy camper right now. Sorry this is so long, but let's move on to the future.

1. I certainly won't be using LULU for any new publications. There are two new REAPER books on the way, one for complete beginners, one more for people who are familiar with the basics and want to know the clever stuff - including most definitely yes, preference settings. But they do take time! I'm in the process of completing alternative publishing and distribution arrangements.

2. For the time being both the User Guide and ReaMix will continue to be distributed by LULU, until I can find something better. For people who have difficulties being quoted outrageous delivery charges, please remember that you can purchase PDF for download from them, and that PDF can be printed at your leisure.

Thank you to everybody for your understanding ...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #23
stratman

It's very unjust that you're getting grief over this.

I'm sure the vast majority of us really appreciate and rely on the good work that you do.

The Reaper User Guide and ReaMix have been so valuable to me in learning about Reaper and recording techniques in general.

edit: I didn't realise you could get a downloadable pdf of ReaMix, so I decided to get that as well as the hard copy I already own.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 11-11-2008 at 04:58 AM.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #24
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
It's very unjust that you're getting grief over this.

I'm sure the vast majority of us really appreciate and rely on the good work that you do...

Pete
Thanks Pete, yes of course most people are really understanding and just great. And I do appreciate your kind words.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #25
With an E

Jeeeez!!!! $150???? I thought you were being a bit fussy, but clearly they have fallen out of their tree!

Anyway, looking forward to the 2 new books Nicholas; sounds like you have it sussed.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #26
bluzkat

Nicholas,

I'm glad to see the beginner book is still in the works. It is really too bad about Lulu, I thought their spiral bound books were exceptional. Hopefully you can locate something similar. If not PDFs are definitely exceptable, they just don't travel well, but I can print out what I need.

I'm also glad that you brought out a PDF of Remix. I have a 'hard copy', but having a PDF in the computer is really handy for a quick reference. I probably by the PDF this weekend. Take care.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #27
With an E

Although it's awkward reading the pdfs in the toilet, the search function in pdf readers more than make up for it; being able to jump from one instance of a word or phrase to another in a second is so incredibly handy.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #28
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I'm glad to see the beginner book is still in the works.
Yes, it's not too far away now ... in between keeping the User Guide up to date and abusing my clients ...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #29
thequietroom

bought the pdf.. was worried at 1st because my 1st "checkout" gave me some bizaar error.. but a live rep from lulu assured me it didnt go through and to try again.. woo hoo
got it.

I hope the pdf is still profitable fo you to distribute.. I have to clear all my music purchases through my better half so this was the only way I was getting it before christmas!

thanks
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #30
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
bought the pdf.. was worried at 1st because my 1st "checkout" gave me some bizaar error.. but a live rep from lulu assured me it didnt go through and to try again.. woo hoo
got it.
Phew!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #31
kenzo

Yes, I just tried to order the DL versions and got something like "payment gateway not responding" at checkout - haven't had a response yet from lulu and don't want to just try again and risk multiple redundant orders.
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #32
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
Yes, I just tried to order the DL versions and got something like "payment gateway not responding" at checkout - haven't had a response yet from lulu and don't want to just try again and risk multiple redundant orders.
Thanks for posting. I can see from my account page that some orders are going through successfully so it appears likely to have been a temporary problem. You can log into LULU and go to their live chat page if you are having a problem, they should be able to resolve it,
Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #33
kenzo

Quote:
Thanks for posting. I can see from my account page that some orders are going through successfully so it appears likely to have been a temporary problem. You can log into LULU and go to their live chat page if you are having a problem, they should be able to resolve it,
They did respond by asking me to delete all of my account CC info and then re-enter it... I'm pretty paranoid about my CC info so perhaps I'll try to use my long-unused PayPal account instead.

Looking forward to reading ReaMix and to also paying you for the User Guide!
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #34
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
They did respond by asking me to delete all of my account CC info and then re-enter it... I'm pretty paranoid about my CC info so perhaps I'll try to use my long-unused PayPal account instead.
kenzo, if LULU don't sort this out please PM me, I'll work out a way of getting these to you, by carrier pigeon if we have to!

Last edited by nicholas; 11-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #35
JonnyHomes

I'm pretty new to Reaper (a recent convert) and I've just bought both of your books in PDF format. Downloading them right now! Thanks for writing them, I'm hoping to learn a lot from them as I know Reaper has a lot more potential than I've yet discovered.
JonnyHomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #36
WorksInTheory

nicolas

Thanks so much for all you do - your dedication and your contributions... and for sharing your knowledge!

Just ordered the ReaMix! Can't wait.

And thanks for trying to solve all these issues with Lulu for us.
WorksInTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #37
JonnyHomes

Default ReaMix vs. REAPER Power!

Is there much stuff in ReaMix that's not in REAPER Power! (which I already own) ?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #38
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyHomes View Post
Is there much stuff in ReaMix that's not in REAPER Power! (which I already own) ?
More examples and applications, specifically about channel splitting and routing. Also more detail about FX, especially EQ and Delay. I'd be interested to hear a comment from somebody who already has both. That would be more objective than I could be!

Last edited by nicholas; 12-15-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #39
junioreq

BTW: Has reamix been updated yet? I know that will be quite hard.

~Rob.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #40
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioreq View Post
BTW: Has reamix been updated yet? I know that will be quite hard.

~Rob.
Sorry, no, that's at least 6 months away and possibly 12. I have to fit it in around other work, alas!