Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
goneracin
Human being with feelings

Default soundfont problem

I have what is probably a dumb question. When I try to load a sound font, I get a not enough memory to load selected soundfont error. I am using a decent machine, duo core 2.4 GHZ processor, 4 GB ram, XP, 2 hard drives, one that has only the reaper software, and some small files on it, the other for windows etc. No matter which drive I use (ive tried using both hard drives to see if one was bad). Im guessing its some from of virtual memory that is giving me the problem. I am using a downloaded midi file, and trying to replace the midi drum with a better drum sound.
goneracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Earache

What are you loading the soundfont into? If you have a SoundBlaster(or similar) audio card it may be configured to use only a small amount of memory. If this is the case, there should be tools with your card that allow you to increase the virtual memory, or you could use something like the SFZ VSTi to host your soundfonts.
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
goneracin

I have the sfx soundfont player, and i have that in the vsti in reaper. I didnt think about this, but I am using the cheap soundcard that is on the motherboard, not a seperate soundcard. Could that be the issue? if so, what should i get for a reasonable and cheap pci mounted card? BTW, I tried using my Echo audiofire for the soundcard/midi playback, but thats not working. I can play everything except midi files back that way. I have one of the outpts on the echo unit going to an external power amp/speakers.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneracin View Post
I have the sfx soundfont player, and i have that in the vsti in reaper. I didnt think about this, but I am using the cheap soundcard that is on the motherboard, not a seperate soundcard. Could that be the issue? if so, what should i get for a reasonable and cheap pci mounted card? BTW, I tried using my Echo audiofire for the soundcard/midi playback, but thats not working. I can play everything except midi files back that way. I have one of the outpts on the echo unit going to an external power amp/speakers.
If you refer with "SFX soundfont player" to SFZ soundfont player, try to change the mode do pr16 or DFD. The first use less memory, and the second read from disk.
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
goneracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
If you refer with "SFX soundfont player" to SFZ soundfont player, try to change the mode do pr16 or DFD. The first use less memory, and the second read from disk.
sorry, i type like shit.....lol. yes, I meant the sfz, the z and x are too close.....lol

Ill try that
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Klemperer

Strangely enough I get this message sometimes too - but not because I would not have enough memory. Does it occur when you open a song that played fine last time? That's where it happens here most of the time. I simply change the settings then (sfz+ here) to dvd or others, and if I changed to sf16, I just switch back to sf32 after loading, and then it works fine. Dunno why, but it works :-)
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
goneracin

ok, it loads now, but as soon as i toggle it (tama rockstar drums for example) on in the fx button, the midi sound stops, and no new drum sounds take over. I have tried all the modes, and the dfd, and pr 16 or pr 32 all load up, but no play. Ive tried a few drum soundfonts.

any other guesses?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
goneracin

anyone? im pretty new to this, but pretty computer literate. I cant use my audiofire as the only soundcard, as it will make reaper the secondary program for the outputs, and leave the computer as default, so reaper wont playback if i try it.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
marce

Quote:
I simply change the settings then (sfz+ here) to dvd or others, and if I changed to sf16, I just switch back to sf32 after loading, and then it works fine. Dunno why, but it works :-)
the change you are making is useless, since the preset applied is the one selected BEFORE you load the soundfont.
SF32 use much more ram than the size of the soundfont you are loading, since it load it in 32bit mode.

Quote:
ok, it loads now, but as soon as i toggle it (tama rockstar drums for example) on in the fx button, the midi sound stops, and no new drum sounds take over. I have tried all the modes, and the dfd, and pr 16 or pr 32 all load up, but no play. Ive tried a few drum soundfonts
so, dont use the fx includes. Use another reverb or chorus external fx. I dont know why you has this situation, but fx button on use a little more cpu.

All this is what i remember from a SFZ faq, but i cant found it in the web anymore. Sorry if any thing is wrong, but i believe is ok.
Luck!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
goneracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
the change you are making is useless, since the preset applied is the one selected BEFORE you load the soundfont.
SF32 use much more ram than the size of the soundfont you are loading, since it load it in 32bit mode.

so, dont use the fx includes. Use another reverb or chorus external fx. I dont know why you has this situation, but fx button on use a little more cpu.

All this is what i remember from a SFZ faq, but i cant found it in the web anymore. Sorry if any thing is wrong, but i believe is ok.
Luck!
What i am trying to do is use the midi track from a song, and put the actual sampled drums in the midi drum track, so it has the sampled drum sounds triggered by the midi file. a friend of mine is getting it to work, so Im sure its possible. I also have 100 times more available computer than he has, so I know its just something i am doing wrong causing this. Ill figure it out, its just driving me crazy...... I spent all day today messing with it, instead of building customers amps, so its killing my wallet too...lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneracin View Post
What i am trying to do is use the midi track from a song, and put the actual sampled drums in the midi drum track, so it has the sampled drum sounds triggered by the midi file. a friend of mine is getting it to work, so Im sure its possible. I also have 100 times more available computer than he has, so I know its just something i am doing wrong causing this. Ill figure it out, its just driving me crazy...... I spent all day today messing with it, instead of building customers amps, so its killing my wallet too...lol.
When you press the mouse button in the bottom border, and you roll it over all the border, do you have any sound?

Edit: check this tutorial, maybe can help you, even it´s not for reaper specificly:
http://www.audiominds.com/training/Sfz.html

Last edited by marce; 11-05-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
goneracin

I got it to work. I guess I must have not been paying attention. I have to open my sfz player, and load in a drum soundfont, any drum soundfont. then I leave that open, and open the reaper project. now when I click on the fx button, and ad teh vsti and soundfont, it works perfectly, and i can change to anything after that, and close the sfz player, it just has to get started I guess.
Anyway, thanks for helping out man.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
Bebop52

Bob, if you have a dual core machine, turn off dual core on only the sfz tracks. I use sfz and soundfonts lots, and if you do that it works perfectly. You can still use multicore for your other tracks. Cheers, Nev.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
goneracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop52 View Post
Bob, if you have a dual core machine, turn off dual core on only the sfz tracks. I use sfz and soundfonts lots, and if you do that it works perfectly. You can still use multicore for your other tracks. Cheers, Nev.

ok, how do you do that....lol. Im pretty comfortable with a comput, this machine is new, and my first dual core, so I dont know whats involved in turning that off.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Bebop52

Preferences, buffering Bob. Cheers.