Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default Microphone stands (brands / quality).

So pro-line stands are the worst. Latch Lake are awesome, but too big for my needs. Is there a Latch Lake quality stand that comes in a normal size? Right now Atlas is the reigning champ for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on mic stands. I'm ready to get rid of a lot of my shit stands and buy one more nice stand. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for it.

What I really wish is that they would make a stand that has the boom joint and the telescoping part of the base as one piece. The female threads seem to strip out on me all the time. I Have a couple Atlas stands, but only proline booms. I HIGHLY advise against getting anything made by proline. There's a Gibraltar boom that is like 10$ more than the proline one. It looks like the winner as far as "I need a boom for cheap" goes. Here's my thoughts currently if you're in the market:

Proline
Avoid at all costs. The female threads strip and the bolt that holds the telescoping boom in place has no twist strength, only in/out strength.

On-Stage
Better than proline by a very small amount.

Gibraltar boom
Never used, but based on the reviews I would probably take one for a spin if I was on a budget.

DR stands
I think these have a phenomenal cost/quality ratio. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a budget stand. I think they are just great for the money.

K&M
- I don't hate them, but am not overly impressed by these. They last a while but aren't exactly bullet proof. I might still recommend DR over K&M. I don't think the quality difference is that huge.

Atlas
Currently the best I've used besides Latch Lake. Everything feels extra sturdy and I've had 2 Atlas stands for about 12 years and they are working as good as the day I got them.

Latch Lake
These are totally amazing in every way, but I don't need anything this big.

Ultimate support - I know nothing about these at all. I hear mixed things about them and their serviceability. Why would you tell me that something is 80% serviceable but not tell me which parts are serviceable?! There's only so many parts that are prone to go bad...

Other brands I haven't tried:
Hurcules, Stageline, Neumann, Hosa, Shure, Gator, Goldline, AKG, Anchor, Audix, VU, Galaxy Audio,

I recently stumbled across these guys:
Triad-Orbit http://www.triad-orbit.com/
These look potentially like our new masters in mic stands. Now, I'm only judging by photos but the quality and features on these look simply staggering. Even the price, all things considered, is something I'd be fine with. For a piece of gear that is generally frustrating I don't mind paying a little more for the one that solves all the frustrations. If it's in the budget this summer I shall be picking up the orbit 2. Check it out here: http://www.triad-orbit.com/orbit2

I'm not sure if anyone is selling them besides fullcompass.com at the moment.

*Edit*
After checking out all the videos I almost regret finding them. I will probably be obsessed with acquiring an ORBIT 2 now...
videos: http://www.youtube.com/triadorbit
(the fullcompass playlist demos all the products nicely)

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any other brands that most of the big-box stores don't carry. I know I have seen some smaller companies make mic stands but I never wrote down the name or put their site in my favorites.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
pitpat

Really great info, Pixeltarian; I didn't even know a couple of these brands existed. These are the kind of comparisions i don't see very often.
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
Really great info, Pixeltarian; I didn't even know a couple of these brands existed. These are the kind of comparisions i don't see very often.
Thanks.

I just watched and read everything there is to know about Triad-Orbit stands. They are quite pricey, but solve literally every single problem one encounters when using mics stands. Needless to say I am quite impressed. Let's go down the list:

- threads striping.
Orbit stands have no threads.
You thread an IO-H into each clip/mount you have and just snap it into the stand.
Everything is quick release.

- can't place two mics very close.
Orbit stands have articulating legs.

- Stands Drop fast when you release the clutch smashing your hand or falling.
Orbit stands have have a pneumatic soft drop.

- Tripod stands and round base stands both have their upsides and downsides.
Orbit stands are weighted tripod.

- Getting the mic where I want takes some real effort at times.
This is where the namesake "orbit" comes from. These stands can move anywhere you would like them to effortlessly. They basically function like a ball head on a camera tripod.

If you have ever been frustrated by a mic stand you NEED to check out Triad-Orbit stands. I was just about to pull the trigger on an Atlas boom, but now I might have to save up for one of these. The Orbit 2 dual boom arm has me salivating...

Check out the demo vids. They are marvelous.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-23-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any other brands that most of the big-box stores don't carry.
Beyerdynamic - just solid, regular boom stands. I recommend them.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
EpicSounds

I read from several people today that Atlas quality has greatly declined in recent years. You've got the old ones.

Samson stands are poor to average quality.

Avoid "Musician's Gear" brand stands from Musicians Friend. Terrible quality.

Apex makes some decent stands, useable but not super high quality. The short V-base stands are great.

My next stand will likely be a DIY combo of plumbing and lighting/grip gear.
EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I read from several people today that Atlas quality has greatly declined in recent years. You've got the old ones.

Samson stands are poor to average quality.

Avoid "Musician's Gear" brand stands from Musicians Friend. Terrible quality.

Apex makes some decent stands, useable but not super high quality. The short V-base stands are great.

My next stand will likely be a DIY combo of plumbing and lighting/grip gear.
My atlas stands are about 12 years old. I love them.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

+1 for the Musician's Gear crap stands! Wouldn't hold up my LDC longer than about a minute! I've been searching for a good boom that will hold a heavier LDC mic that didn't cost my first born male child (although there have been times...)
Jeffsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
+1 for the Musician's Gear crap stands! Wouldn't hold up my LDC longer than about a minute! I've been searching for a good boom that will hold a heavier LDC mic that didn't cost my first born male child (although there have been times...)
Try a double grip head clamp.

EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Fran Guidry

Quote:
It's often the case that a boom stand is configured so that a load loosens the clamp. Reassemble the boom so the load tightens the stand instead.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
It's often the case that a boom stand is configured so that a load loosens the clamp. Reassemble the boom so the load tightens the stand instead.

Fran
Ummm... huh? Can you be more specific, please?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Ummm... huh? Can you be more specific, please?
The boom goes through a fixture with a handle. The boom can be inserted so the load is on the righty-tighty side of the fixture, which causes the weight on the end of the boom to make things tighter. Or the boom can be passed through the fixture so the weight is on the lefty-loosey side, so the weight causes the boom to loosen the fixture.

Pull the boom back through the fixture and insert it going the other way and see if that helps.

These are going the wrong way:

This one is going the right way:

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
Jeffsounds

Quote:
The boom goes through a fixture with a handle. The boom can be inserted so the load is on the righty-tighty side of the fixture, which causes the weight on the end of the boom to make things tighter. Or the boom can be passed through the fixture so the weight is on the lefty-loosey side, so the weight causes the boom to loosen the fixture.

Pull the boom back through the fixture and insert it going the other way and see if that helps.

Fran
Ah... now I see. Gotcha! Nice job with the pics! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
ivansc

I still have a much - cherished Keith Monks stand I bought used in the early seventies. Built like a tank and I will be amazed if it ever dies.

Sadly they have not been available to buy new for a long time.

And naturally nobody ever sells them.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
musicman1007

Most of the good stands I've ever used have been Atlas - many of them older than I am. They last forever and as far as I know will never let you down.
musicman1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Lucian

So are Latch lakes it basically for reliable counter weighted stands? I have (2) 3 lb matched mics I like to use on vocals and accoustics and one stand would be awesome. Currently I use 2 crap proline stands with the booms nearly completely retracted due to weight and they are still prone to tipping if not careful.

Are Atlas stands complete junk now? I was considering one with a Latch lake boom as my solution. I need something with a counter weight and know I could ducktape something to the boom but that does not appeal to me and would bother/annoy me to no end.

Orbits look nice but again, no counter weight and the price of a stand with the orbit 2 is more than a Latch lake (roughly $549).

I am open to mix and match stuff like a lighting or cymbal stand with booms. I want something that will support the weight, give me about an arm's length of boom away from the stand, easy to position with no droop and something I can leave setup overnight without ANY fear of my mics hitting the floor.

Most opinions lead me to believe Latch Lake is it but just wondering if something will give me all of the above for under $400.

The Sontronics - Matrix10 looks interesting but it does not look like I can clamp another boom on it, If somebody makes a sturdy stereo bar mount that I can use for M/S recording this maybe an option but most bars I see are only long enough to handle XY recording. It does look alittle cumbersome and big but it is counter weighted and roughly $319.

Anybody been in my position and found a solution? Or should I just buy a Latch Lake?

Last edited by Lucian; 11-15-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Lucian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:

Pull the boom back through the fixture and insert it going the other way and see if that helps......
Fran
Now there's a smart, logical and simple solution I'd never considered in 30 years of engineering!!!!
I just checked all my stands and they were ALL the wrong way around. Now fixed. Great suggestion Fran.

As far as stands go, I have some K&M ones that I've been quite happy with (they hold my LDC's quite adequately) and I have a couple of REALLY solid ones my uncle gave me. I have no idea what brand they are. He used them in a band he played in in the late 60's and early 70's and they are built like tanks. They're probably around fifty years old and if they haven't even begun to show signs of wear yet, they probably won't in my lifetime!
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Lucian

This seems the best, inexpensive solution I have found so far for what I need
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Cosmic

Cheap Trick won't go a stage if theres boom stands.

Gotta be straight stands all the way for the Trick

Looks fucking class too.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
ivansc

Apart from singing guitarists and bass players and especially keys wind up looking like Quasimodo!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #20
Jeffsounds

I'd just like a boom stand that actually holds the mic in position. Kind of a PITA when you start talking or singing and the boom starts getting lower and lower. Not to mention the couplings that get stripped because you have to keep tightening and pretty soon the mic is just hanging limp like... well... you get the idea...
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
planetnine

K&M and Beyer for me. I use mine for live events, including some quite, erm, irreverent bands.

I find that Beyer can be difficult to tighten up with cold or sweaty hands, and if forcibly moved while the brake is on, the boom joint will rip rubber marbles which will aid drooping on long extensions, almost however tight you twist it afterwards.

K&M t-bars are great for live use. Some of their cheaper stands are a bit plasticky, but their profession range are great. Don't buy stands from any company that won't supply all parts as spares.

Hope this helps.

>

dB marks on MCP faders FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3059
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Swamp Ape

Quote:

Wow, this just blew my mind. Thanks, I'm doing this to my (crappy Musician's Gear) stands today!
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
andykeech

Default Smaller Latch Lake Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
So pro-line stands are the worst. Latch Lake are awesome, but too big for my needs. Is there a Latch Lake quality stand that comes in a normal size? Right now Atlas is the reigning champ for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on mic stands. I'm ready to get rid of a lot of my shit stands and buy one more nice stand. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for it.

What I really wish is that they would make a stand that has the boom joint and the telescoping part of the base as one piece. The female threads seem to strip out on me all the time. I Have a couple Atlas stands, but only proline booms. I HIGHLY advise against getting anything made by proline. There's a Gibraltar boom that is like 10$ more than the proline one. It looks like the winner as far as "I need a boom for cheap" goes. Here's my thoughts currently if you're in the market:

Proline
Avoid at all costs. The female threads strip and the bolt that holds the telescoping boom in place has no twist strength, only in/out strength.

On-Stage
Better than proline by a very small amount.

Gibraltar boom
Never used, but based on the reviews I would probably take one for a spin if I was on a budget.

DR stands
I think these have a phenomenal cost/quality ratio. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a budget stand. I think they are just great for the money.

K&M
- I don't hate them, but am not overly impressed by these. They last a while but aren't exactly bullet proof. I might still recommend DR over K&M. I don't think the quality difference is that huge.

Atlas
Currently the best I've used besides Latch Lake. Everything feels extra sturdy and I've had 2 Atlas stands for about 12 years and they are working as good as the day I got them.

Latch Lake
These are totally amazing in every way, but I don't need anything this big.

Ultimate support - I know nothing about these at all. I hear mixed things about them and their serviceability. Why would you tell me that something is 80% serviceable but not tell me which parts are serviceable?! There's only so many parts that are prone to go bad...

Other brands I haven't tried:
Hurcules, Stageline, Neumann, Hosa, Shure, Gator, Goldline, AKG, Anchor, Audix, VU, Galaxy Audio,

I recently stumbled across these guys:
Triad-Orbit http://www.triad-orbit.com/
These look potentially like our new masters in mic stands. Now, I'm only judging by photos but the quality and features on these look simply staggering. Even the price, all things considered, is something I'd be fine with. For a piece of gear that is generally frustrating I don't mind paying a little more for the one that solves all the frustrations. If it's in the budget this summer I shall be picking up the orbit 2. Check it out here: http://www.triad-orbit.com/orbit2

I'm not sure if anyone is selling them besides fullcompass.com at the moment.

*Edit*
After checking out all the videos I almost regret finding them. I will probably be obsessed with acquiring an ORBIT 2 now...
videos: http://www.youtube.com/triadorbit
(the fullcompass playlist demos all the products nicely)

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any other brands that most of the big-box stores don't carry. I know I have seen some smaller companies make mic stands but I never wrote down the name or put their site in my favorites.

Not sure if you're still in the market for something, but Latch Lake has a new tripod stand coming out soon. Same boom clutch and single lever release adjustment points, new stackable counterweight system and weighted tripod base, and will retail at $299.

http://latchlakemusic.com/stands/micking-1100-2/
andykeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
I'd just like a boom stand that actually holds the mic in position.
Then...

Quote:
K&M and Beyer for me.
Or even DR IMHO. Good stands are buy once, cry once. If there is anything that will make a person miserable is going cheap on a stand then having to deal with the shortcomings of it everytime they use it. I have a number of K&Ms that are 15 years old and that includes riding in the back of a truck IN THE RAIN half the time. I don't recommend the rain part but I still use those stands.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #25
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Good stands are buy once, cry once. If there is anything that will make a person miserable is going cheap on a stand then having to deal with the shortcomings of it everytime they use it. I have a number of K&Ms that are 15 years old and that includes riding in the back of a truck IN THE RAIN half the time. I don't recommend the rain part but I still use those stands.

Seconded on K&M. Don't buy any brand that aren't happy to supply you any spare parts you need...

>

dB marks on MCP faders FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3059
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote