Human being with feelings

Default jsMore

6 more plugins to play with.

download here:
http://sites.google.com/site/jesuccernn/files
more info here:
http://cernthskei.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/jsmore/

two for experimenting with the 'innards' of reaper

a) misc_cputest, for testing the cpu use of various reaper jesusonic commands and things, and can be some kind of benchmark. not that interesting for others than mysef, when i made it, i guess, but, well, never know...

b) misc_ipc, for testing various ways of inter-plugin communication, gmem, regs, via audio channels (and later, midi). multiple instances of this one, in various tracks, items, etc, and you (may) get a glimpse of what's going on internally here and there.

and four synths

c) syn_binauralbeats, as the name says, binaural beats, brainwave synchronization, alpha waves...

d) syn_kick, very simple kick drum synth, ala/inspired by the ones in fl and lmms.

e) syn_plucked, plucked string synth, karplus strong, waveguide, ...

f) syn_reatalker, speech/phoneme synth, shaping up, but more work to do here

and, i will finalize them (together with the rest), and upload them to stash.reaper.fm soon, hopefully

- ccernn
cern.th.skei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
AlienInfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
c) syn_binauralbeats, as the name says, binaural beats, brainwave synchronization, alpha waves...
There's lots of "binaural beats" type apps being sold in the iphone app store. Some also add audio loops of oceans, etc.
AlienInfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienInfix View Post
There's lots of "binaural beats" type apps being sold in the iphone app store. Some also add audio loops of oceans, etc.
was reading some articles about it, and yeah, most of them suggest adding various things to the detuned sines, mainly to get something more than the static waveforms, sea/water/bird samples, low-volume noise, etc. you can (must) do that yourself with this plug, another audio channel with some samples or stuff.

it still think that would sound very boring and unnatural to listen to, so i made this very simple monophonic sine-wave synth, midi-playable, and added another output to it (+x hz)..
i don't know how much i really believe in the effects of this stuff, but an interesting experiment nevertheless.

- ccernn
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
acs

Hey thanks for the plucked and the kick js. I used to use the plucked quite a bit in FL and kinda forgot all about it. Good stuff.
acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

the plucked synth cuts off weird...

and the kick has clicks..

very cool ideas
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
the plucked synth cuts off weird...

and the kick has clicks..

very cool ideas
yeah, i know..

most of my plugs so far have been quite hastily threwn together, mainly to see if i understood some code/algo principles, or the result of some experiments.

the pluck is monophonic (one delay-line only), and has no filter, it's all done with noise, one delay, close to 100% feedback, and averaging adjacent samples (the decaying). aka waveguide synthesis. one slider affects the averaging, the other the feedback amount.
i know there are others, more advanced versions of the karplus strong algorithm that are better (allpass interpolation of the fractional delay lines), but haven't tried any of these (yet).. feedback and distortion would be great in there too, and polyphony

the kick is just a sine wave, with sweeping pitch and volume. yeah, a filter in there would fit very well, probably sweepable that one too. and some distortion, and a limiter, and ... , and .., heh

i have the intention to finalize most of them, do them properly, but there's always these new ideas popping up that i want to try :-)

- ccernn

and, thanks for the comments, it's motivating me to do more
Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

i really appreciate your work. they could really add to reaper!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
AlienInfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
i have the intention to finalize most of them, do them properly, but there's always these new ideas popping up that i want to try :-)
New ideas are cool!
AlienInfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Lebedjev

Hello.

I'm composing binaural meditation music in REAPER and I have reprogrammed the JS-tonegenerator to a binaural beat plugin. Funny that you have made one as well. I have a Swedish blog there you can download my beats.

http://deeperwave.blogspot.com/

This is the plugin
Attached Files
File Type: zip Binaural.zip (729 Bytes, 357 views)
Lebedjev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebedjev View Post
Hello.

I'm composing binaural meditation music in REAPER and I have reprogrammed the JS-tonegenerator to a binaural beat plugin. Funny that you have made one as well. I have a Swedish blog there you can download my beats.

http://deeperwave.blogspot.com/
cool to see others here interesting in these things! and, great blog, will bookmark it and check it out now and then. you will write more, i hope?

have you done much research/experimentations in this?

i have lots of questions, lots of ideas

do we need these pure sine tones? what about square/saw waves? can they be mixed with other, 'proper' audio signals? what would happen if we did this with the result of some frequency analysis (fft/goertzel/wavelet) of 'normal' audio, adding the required frequency to each separate frequency band?

- ccernn
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Cyranosemuse

For some background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats
http://www.annawise.com/

The article at the following link deals with manipulation of midi pitch-bend data using micro-tonal synths, and might be helpful for development of a VST.
http://www.seriouscomposer.com/Article.htm
His software is not cheap...$199
http://www.seriouscomposer.com/PhiUtilities.htm

Are there any VSTs that will alter audio or MIDI data by Hz rather than semi-tones/cents?
This would need to be able to shift the frequency by .5 to 30 HZ.
With automation you can change the entrainment frequency to move from different brainwave states over time.

My technique is to use this program to generate the binaural entrainment tones:
http://www.bwgen.com/
I then mix the tones it generates with a stereo audio track. My preference of material on the audio tracks is a bansuri (bamboo flute) with a tambura (stringed Indian drone instrument). Using an analyzer, I determine the dominant fundamental in the audio track and use that as the base frequency for the entrainment tone so it will not clash. With the appropriate VSTs/scripts this can all be done within Reaper. One function bwgen has that might be tricky to implement in a DAW is the ability to send control data to light goggles that stimulate your eyes along with the audio tracks.

I also came upon this open source software recently but have not tried it yet:
http://gnaural.sourceforge.net/
Cyranosemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Lebedjev

Hello again.

I'm glad that you like my blog and I will do more posts and add more files for downloading. Yes I have done some experimenting to get the sound as I like it. With sound I mean the parts that not is binaural. The binaural tone is actually the easiest part and is produced by my JS-plugin and controlled by automation inside Reaper. I have only used sinus waves yet because I feel that they are smoother to my brain. The bearing frequency is 140 Hz on track 1,2 & 5 and 100 Hz on track 3 & 4. Then I let the binaural fall down to 0,5 Hz on track 1 & 2. I listened to track 1 & 2 for a couple of weeks but the low delta waves make a bit dizzy, and due to the fact that I only have time to meditate early mornings before my work I decided make new tracks that only brings me down to theta 4 Hz (Track 3, 4 & 5). I listen to track 5 every morning right now.

Last edited by Lebedjev; 04-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Lebedjev

Default Binaural is monoaural now??

Hi.

It looks like my Binaural JS plugin dosent work in Reaper 3. The blending of the two tones that was in my head before is now inside reaper, creating a pulsing mono-like tone. I think its the same problem with "syn_binauralbeats" created by cern.th.skei above. Do you have the same problem?

Last edited by Lebedjev; 06-04-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #14
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebedjev View Post
Hi.

It looks like my Binaural JS plugin dosent work in Reaper 3. The blending of the two tones that was in my head before is now inside reaper, creating a pulsing mono-like tone. I think its the same problem with "syn_binauralbeats" created by cern.th.skei above. Do you have the same problem?
you mean the two mono channels are in some way affecting each other inside reaper? some kind of "channel bleed"? haven't tested it in a while. will look at it tonight...

- ccernn

[update]: just tested, syn_binauralbeats working as intended here.. each oscillator playing nice and separate in each speaker (audio channel), no crosstalking, and creates those binaural beats from the frequency difference, only inside my head, as intended.

and, btw, just updated the plugin a bit, a vol/freq crossfade slider to get rid of the clicks when playing via midi notes..

Last edited by cern.th.skei; 06-05-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: test/update..
Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Lebedjev

Default Thanks!!

I reinstalled my whole PC a week ago and the sound card was not correct done. The channels bleed to each other, simulating speakers for a headphone user....

I have fixed it now and everything sounds as it should.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
cern.th.skei

Default syn_perc update (v0.0.6)

oops - wrong thread! - moved..

Last edited by cern.th.skei; 06-05-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: wrong thread!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
SaschArt

Default Isochronic tones

Binaural from Lebedjev working great How can I modify the JS-tonegenerator to generate isochronic tones?
SaschArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
Dormouse7

Default Where to install

Hi. I have downloaded the binaural syn file but please can you tell me where I install it; I can't see a file in Reaper for specific JS components? I've tried putting it in the synthesis file (Install Data/Effects) but no sign of it in the list in Reaper even after restarting it.

Many thanks

DM

Edit: Sorted. Followed this handy tutorial: http://reaperblog.net/2015/06/quick-...ll-js-plugins/

Last edited by Dormouse7; 03-25-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: To add more info
Dormouse7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
semiquaver

I use some of your earlier plugs a lot - quick request that you consider adding your plugs to ReaPack - thanks
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
X-Raym

Just found this JS pack, thanks for sharing !

I didn't test, but I'm quite impressed by the variety of effects.

@semiquaver
I think it would need to be forked as I don't think the original coder is still maintaining them.

EDIT: oh, maybe yes : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1788101

Then a reapack compatibility / github upload would be nice indeed
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote