Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Marah Mag
Human being with feelings

Default Programmable keyboard and mouse?

Hi.

In Nicholas's most excellent Reaper User Guide, he refers to the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speed Pad (p 376) as a complement to the basic qwerty kb. I'm a macro fiend, so I looked into it. And that led me to these two Microsoft products. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them in a DAW and daily use context.

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...e_tab=overview
review: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2331100,00.asp

Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...emRequirements

They're kind of enticing I think.

(I use a really old programmable Gateway AnyKey keyboard with extra function keys and such, but it's onboard memory is starting to go.)

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Marah Mag; 02-14-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
bfloyd6969

They certainly look nice...
bfloyd6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
(I use a really old programmable Gateway AnyKey keyboard with extra function keys and such, but it's onboard memory is starting to go.)
Man, that was the FIRST thing I thought of when I saw your post title!

I was just looking for one of those a few days ago. I had one of those for the longest time, until it died on me. That's the GREATEST keyboard ever - not just for the easy to use macro keys (that I sorely miss), but the *action* on them were so great.

Short travel, with a soft stop, and the profile was a little flatter than most - that little lift one has to make to get to the top row wasn't there. I think the "kerning" between the buttons may have been a little smaller as well?

I envy you!

/ I haven't found any new keyboard to have both the same feel at the Gateway, combined with the easy macro key implementation...?
// for that matter, I'd settle just for the short travel/soft stop/flatter key stack profile
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Marah Mag

heehee.

Ya I'm really attached to my Gateway Anykey. It's gots a great clicking sound. and is super solid. With the diagonal arrow keys (Grreat in graphics programs!) But the best is the 12 extra functions keys and the fact that EVERY key and Ctrl/Alt/Shift combo can be programmed with a good number of keystrokes.

But the memory is all onboard... you can save macros to disk with a DOS utility, but it doesn't run well in a cmd window... so you have to actually boot to dos to get it to work, but even then... the memory charge of the keyboard isn't what it used to be, and it sometimes just gets discombobulated. :snif::snif: Other keyboards just aren't the same.

There have always been some available on eBay, but they haven't been manufactured in centuries, so they'll all be old and fading at this point.

The Microsoft Sidewinder X6 is the first programmable keyboard that doesn't cost a fortune that seems to be have actual poweruser friendly macro smarts, and not just pop-up-the-browser-pause-your-cd-run-calc, if you know what I mean. The mouse looks kind of evil too.

So I'm really wondering and kind of hoping I've finally found a replacement for my beloved Gateway AnyKey.

If anyone's wondering what I'm ranting about... look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_AnyKey
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
chip mcdonald

Quote:
heehee.
cost a fortune that seems to be have actual poweruser friendly macro smarts, and not just pop-up-the-browser-pause-your-cd-run-calc, if you know what I mean. The mouse looks kind of evil too.
Are you saying it's hardware driven in the keyboard (like the Anykey), or does it require a software driver?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
CoffeeMilkshake

Quote:
Hi.

In Lawrence's most excellent Reaper User Guide

???? You don't mean Nicholas by any chance?

See this thread if it's any use to you:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31286

I posted this but it seems no one except Martens gave it a try...

Someone gave me an old keyboard this week and I'll try it as soon as I can. No money wasted, I can put stickers all over that 2nd keyboard to know where my macros are, and I can use my primary keyboard in my daily PC life.
At least I hope so. I'll report back as soon as I try it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMilkshake View Post
???? You don't mean Nicholas by any chance?
Yeah... that's what I meant! Thanks! (I'll change it in my original. Doh!)
Old 02-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Are you saying it's hardware driven in the keyboard (like the Anykey), or does it require a software driver?
No it's all driver driven. The drivers give you access to the panels that let you manage macros and their assignment to the keys and buttons, including saving them to disk. You can also edit the macros in fairly good detail, but the editor itself is kind of cramped.

I've been using the Sidewinder Mouse and the X6 keyboard for about a week. They're nice. But the jury is still out.

The most immediate negative is that the macros you record in the keyboard retain the timing between your keypresses. These can be edited in the macro editor, and times can be brought down to 0ms. But it would be better to simply be able to turn of the intervals altogether, or keep them minimal, perhaps allowing for flood control. As good as it is to have macros (I can't live without em), having to sit there and watch them play back in rt is not a lot of fun. Perhaps I'm overlooking something... seems that gamers would want the action as fast as possible.

The macros are stored in plain text xml files, extension mht. Basically, just a list of what you did:

Code:
<KeyBoardEvent Down="true">60</KeyBoardEvent>
<DelayEvent>94</DelayEvent>
<KeyBoardEvent Down="false">60</KeyBoardEvent>
<DelayEvent>1469</DelayEvent>
<KeyBoardEvent Down="true">57415</KeyBoardEvent>
<DelayEvent>125</DelayEvent>
<KeyBoardEvent Down="false">57415</KeyBoardEvent>
<DelayEvent>1312</DelayEvent>
So if you have macros you intend to keep around and use a lot it's easy enough to do a global replace on the delay. But it's not the most elegant approach.

The potential is there, though. I'm surprised there hasn't been greater demand for macro-capable keybs. Logitech has a couple; this is Microsoft's first (I think.) The software seems a little primitive as far as the editor goes... the functionality is more or less there, but your access to it is speedbumped by the UI. (But then not everything can be Reaper. )

Has anyone else tried these?

Last edited by Marah Mag; 02-14-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
slowass

I got the old G15 from Logitech and love it. Got 18 macro keys, and a wheel to change volume. Only thing I miss is the ability to change individual volumes on each track instead of the master volume. When I think about it I will post a suggestion for it to be implemented if its not already. Anyway, it has lots of potential as I see it. The keyboard of choice now should be the G11 since it got both the macro keys and the wheel but lacks the display which Reaper wont use anyway.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke...s/285&cl=us,en
slowass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
tspring

I have my Nostromo set up to allow (semi)remote control of reaper. In the photo it is mounted on an old cybmal mount. When I am recording alone, I can place it wherever I want to sit while recording. This gives me one-hand control of transport, volume levels, track switching and arming without having to move around or put down my guitar. So to me, ease of mounting the keypad is pretty important.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
PaulRich78

Hi, I have a logitech multimedia keyboard with scroller and all extra buttons for email and volume and such
How do I map reaper to those extra buttons and scroller?
thanks
Paul
PaulRich78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
nolman

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkedit.php

this one looks rather nice!
anyone that owns one?
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #13
WizardNo1

Default The Great Gateway Anykey

Why, oh why does not some company make and market a Gateway Anykey with more modern key mechanism, much more internal memory and a third set of F keys so that there would be 36 programmable keys, which is a Lord's plenty. Forget making the other keys programmable. Then, add some software to enable keyboard programmings to be saved and recalled under any version of Windows. I have tried every programmable keyboard on the market, and none can touch the Gateway for ease of use. I have 32 Anykeys that I have purchased on Ebay over the years, but they are playing out and the keys are sticking. I have been able to find nothing on the market effectively to replace them. I run 16 systems although I am just a computer buff, and not a business, and have Anykeys on all of them. I only wish MaxiSwitch, who made the AnyKey for Gateway, were still around to give us the product we so desperately need.

WizardN01@aol.com
WizardNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
RBowlin

I use the XKeys Pro: http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkpro.php. It's VERY cool.

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
nightscope

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/v7keyboard.htm

I don't have one but had a Cyborg Keypad which worked well. Now got a Logitech G13.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
vassago

Personnaly, I have a grudge against Microsoft peripherals...they simply don't last, the response of the keys of the keyboard lags, if you are a fast typer will learn what anti-ghosting is for with a MS Keyboard...I just can't stand them...especially the sidewinder line wich is priced like gaming gear but without the benefits like anti-ghosting. The Razer line is really good but they have had quality and reliability issues lately with their newer gear...sad because I really like my Razer Copperhead mouse but I have lost count on how many people have issues with the Lachesys.

Ironically I have found that gaming keyboards are very good for DAWs and fast typers like myself, and I have grown quite fond of my Logitech G15 v2, which is basically a smaller version of the V1. Less programmable keys but it's not a challenge to fit in a workspace like the v1

The Saitek Cyborg keyboard is really nice new but after less that a year the keys action become spongy...it will work and most likely last but the keys feeling will be awful. Saitek gear have a habit to be really good but not age well with usage...I went through two Eclipse keyboard, one Eclipse II and decided to part ways with Saitek for my current G15v2.

Right now, in my opinion, if if you are not a lefty, THE best mouse out there is the Logitech G500, build quality is amazing for the price, it's programmable, laser tracking can be done even on glass!!! Factory settings are crap by once you have adjusted the DPI levels and frequency it's amazing.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
WizardNo1

Default I have the X-Keys Pro

I use the X-Keys Pro and was a Beta Tester for their MacroWorks 3, which I don't like as well as its predecessor, MacroWorks 2. I had to replace the computer desks which I used my two X-Keys Pros with with the desks I finally found which have drawers as long as the desks themselves, 52" drawers. This space is needed to accommodate a regular keyboard, the X-Key Pro, and a mouse. The X-Keys Pro is quite expensive, and if a more modern AnyKey were available, I wouldn't need them. There are plenty of programs like the nice Phrase Express program which send macros of all kinds to the screen, but none are as simple and as convenient as the AnyKey.

WizardNo1@aol.com

Last edited by WizardNo1; 06-18-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
EvilDragon

This.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Go to Demo!

I want this SO FREAKING BAD!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-18-2010 at 10:36 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Hi.

In Nicholas's most excellent Reaper User Guide, he refers to the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speed Pad (p 376) as a complement to the basic qwerty kb. I'm a macro fiend, so I looked into it. And that led me to these two Microsoft products. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them in a DAW and daily use context.

They're kind of enticing I think.

Any thoughts?
I have a Microsoft media keyboard and use almost no keys at all on it with Reaper. I use a Firefly RF based remote controller with the freeware version of an app called LM Remote Keymap, which lets me program macros and functions that I need while recording. Even when I'm recording right by my keyboard, I use my Firefly remote more frequently, and I can take it across the room to my acoustic cocktail drum kit, or to my digital pad drum kit, and run the DAW from there.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
semiquaver

I use a second qwerty keyboard with the control key taped down = 100+ macros - costs $10 and no setup required...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
WizardNo1

The best mouse out there, for the price, is unquestionably the Frisby five-button programmable mouse with the scroll wheel. It sells for less than $6.00 and is a dream. I program the two side buttons, both on the left side, where they ought to be, as ENTER for the back one and DELETE for the forward one, but many other programmings are available. The best mouse at any price is the Razer Copperhead, but it costs much more than the Frisby and is not all that much better.

WizardN01@aol.com
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Go to Demo!

I want this SO FREAKING BAD!
Pretty cool. I'd also love to have this set up for transport at another station like on a piano: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-aux/
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote