Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
bazza
Human being with feelings

Default Volume Fade won't work on a MIDI track??

Hello again,

Just a quick one. I've been trying to apply the volume fade out on a MIDI track, and it doesn't seem to work? No probs with audio tracks. Is there a reason for this?
I recorded flutes using sampletank, and would like to apply the volume fade out on the track.....
I'm at a loss....
bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
DarkStar

Sorry bazza, it's not implemented. And there's been lots of discussions of what should / could be done.

Meanwhile, you can route ST2's outputs to several separate tracks and then control the volume on the track that you route the flutes too. Have a look at the "Fast-track" approach here:

Configuring Multi-Output VSTis: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27868
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
bazza

cheers for the link.
bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Sari

Do you guys mean the volume on the actual MIDI item? Because I can use Track volume on a midi track and it works!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
billybk1

Hmmmmm........which REAPER version are you guys using? I seem to be able to fade the volume of a MIDI track using either a simple media item fade or implementing a fade out using track volume automation using REAPER v3.0. Both methods will audibly fade the audio (using the EZdrummer VSTi below) during playback and the resulting render fades out as well.

billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

@ billybk1:

What you are showing is possible in Reaper for a long time. But the OP wants to fade MIDI volume (CC7).

Both of your methods don't. The item fade handle will fade note velocity. Btw you can do this also track based with a Pre-FX Volume envelope which is supernifty.
The volume automation on your track fades audio volume of the output of your EZDrummer track.

MIDI Volume is especially needed when you want to talk to the internal mixer of multichannel hardware (like some outboard sound canvas) or software synth (like Sampletank, Kontakt, GPO and the like, and change the volume of a specified channel without routing seperate outputs to the host. Say his flute plays on MIDI channel 3 in Sampletank, he wants to send MIDI volume events on channel 3 to his synth, so only the flute changes volume. (Not velocity, as that would change the timbre of the flute, as if the flutist blew softer or harder).

@ the OP: I don't have Sampletank. There is maybe a chance that the volume faders are available as track automation parameters? Or when that fails, you can insert the ReaControlMIDI plugin on the same track in front of Sampletank and automate your fades from there. With Reaper v3's new UI knobs, you can also now have rotaries on your track headers and mixer strips that will send MIDI volume.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
raftsp

Very nice, Gofer. I had the same problem. As you suggested, ReaControlMIDI plugin is the answer for me. Thanks a lot.
raftsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Anaon

Hello!

I'm a bit lost as it seems that the idem midi fade doesn't work anymore when I play the tracks.

I don't remember changing any options... Do you have any idea?

Thank you very much
Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

MIDI velocity fades are still working here. What instrument are you using to play the MIDI? Maybe you are tricked by a synth that doesn't handle velocity (small chance, I know, but can't think of any other reason right now)?
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
Tod

Velocity fades will only seem to work when you have a midi track with an instrument where the notes are constently being struck all the way to the end. For example, drums. This is not a good way to control fades with midi.

Velocity is a one time occurance at the very front of a note. Fadeing longer midi notes after they have been struck would have no effect.

Quote:
I recorded flutes using sampletank, and would like to apply the volume fade out on the track.....
I'm at a loss....
I'm sure sampletank uses the midi standard of cc7 for volume. The way to do this is in the Midi Editor useing a cotroller pane. Select cc7 in the controller pane (07 Volume on my computer) and draw in the fade that you want on the end.

However, before you draw in the fade you should try figure out what Sampletank's default cc7 volume is. Many instruments will already be set up at max volume where cc7=127 so you should be good to go drawing in a fade from cc7=127 to cc7=0.

To figure this out (before you make the fade), go to just in front of where the flutes start playing. Solo the flutes and make note of the volume. Now insert one cc7 contoller at 127. If it's louder, bring down the single controller untill the volumes about the same. Then on the fade start drawing the cc7 controllers at that same volume.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Anaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
MIDI velocity fades are still working here. What instrument are you using to play the MIDI? Maybe you are tricked by a synth that doesn't handle velocity (small chance, I know, but can't think of any other reason right now)?
Sure, thanks for your help

It's strange because I didn't notice this before, I think that it has always worked. Maybe I changed something by mistake...

Anyway, I noticed this with Esline String (Elecktrostudio) or MrTramp2 for example...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Sheppola

If it's a single Midi VST why not Automate the VST's actual volume control?It should appear as one of the parameters in the Trm section.

HTH
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sampletank is a multi-output VSTi, so you can probably avoid having multiple instruments/parts/timbres played out over the same output in first place, hence controlling volume via MIDI is not really necessary in most cases, you can use automation on the audio outputs instead. Also, each instrument slot in ST has its own volume parameter that can be easily automated like Gofer suggested. Only on external (multi-timbral) synths and multi-timbral VSTi w/o multiple outputs, MIDI volume is still important, treating audio of multi-out VSTi on the audio side has its benefits. Well, IMO, IMHO and AFAIK of course, kthxbai.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
joesacco

I'm having the same issue. And like the thread starter, I remember it working fine before. My fades on audio regions work properly though, just not with midi.
joesacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
TerryFitzharris

Default Fade out on midi tracks

The easiest method I've found is to render the midi tack to a 'stem' - i.e. right click on track, go to 'render/freeze tracks' select one of the render options. This will give you an audio copy of your midi track whilst maintaining the original muted. This is also a good method of saving processing space.
TerryFitzharris is offline   Reply With Quote