Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Billoon
Human being with feelings

Default Configurable Monitoring brainstorm.

Had some ideas for this, though we could kick a few around here.

1) Create a new track with 'monitor' in the name.

2) Select the tracks to be sent there.

3) R-click i/o button - new option>'open monitor send panel' - this has options for...

a) Duplicating track vol/pan/phase/mono settings

b) Setting pre/postfx/postpan

c) Link track to send option (with relative or absolute modes) which would make the send vol and pan levels be either scaled by(ie. add 1db of gain to track, same gets done to send) or exactly the same as the track levels. Also soloing a send could be done by soloing the track.

d) Selecting the track to be sent to. Master/Parent(ie. current functionality) would be set by default. An 'Add send' option would enable multiple monitoring 'busses'. Also, a filter could apply to the track selection dropdown that would bring all tracks with 'monitor'in the name to the top for ease of selection. Also the ablitiy to create a new track from here for this purpose would be handy, the new track would have Master/Parent disabled but a hardware out enabled by default, then we'd just need to select the output destination in the new track and be done.

...all of which gets applied to all selected tracks.

All these options would be available per-track from the i/o window by clicking a 'Monitoring options' box. Obviously, the monitor button would still determine the sends status(ie. disabling monitoring would mute the send, tape-auto would mute the send during playback).

Also, you should be able to send eg. a reverb buss to a monitor send without needing to arm the track. Also, an option(with an action to toggle it) to make monitoring disabled while stopped when using tape-auto would be very handy. This would be good for killing monitoring in the headphones without having to disable recarm or monitoring on every track.

So whats missing? Any ideas for a better/simpler implementation?
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

This sounds great! We just need to take everything from the steinberg control room function but Don't forget "solo ignore" too for monitoring tracks so we can solo from the studio side without killing headphone mixes
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

+1 to both the above
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Having read your posts I've been juggling with all the different ideas, complaints, FR's and Tracker FR's relating to this and similar issues.

I've tried to narrow down the functionality that different people are considering and some way that they might all be implemented in a way that could be progressive in terms of good logic and future development.

My approach is somewhat different to yours, but (I think) also very flexible in what it could achieve.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44334

See what you think!