Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
hologram
Human being with feelings

Default Can Reaper slave from MIDI clock?

Hi,
I'm using an external sequencer (Native Instruments Maschine),in which I want Reaper to slave from via midi clock, is this possible,if so whats the method?
I want the external sequencer (NI Maschine) to be the Master,and Reaper to be the Slave via Midi Clock, Mtc is not an option as Maschine doesn't support Mtc.

Thanks for the help.
hologram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
hologram

Anyone know,if this is possible? I need a daw that supports this,and have been directed by a few sources to try Reaper.I'm not finding any literature that says it supports midi clock in and it can be a slave..Anyone?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Fabian

Yes, it is possible.

Right click the play button on the transport bar and select "Enable synchronization to time code" and "SPP", your MIDI device3 should be listed there.

However, I have not gotten that to work correctly with my (old) Korg DDD-1 drum machine (very old! ), but I assume that's because the DDD-1 is vintage by any standard...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
hologram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Yes, it is possible.

Right click the play button on the transport bar and select "Enable synchronization to time code" and "SPP", your MIDI device3 should be listed there.

However, I have not gotten that to work correctly with my (old) Korg DDD-1 drum machine (very old! ), but I assume that's because the DDD-1 is vintage by any standard...
Hey I appreciate your post back,thanks alot I see it's working now,I may have to mess with some settings,as it's working but reaper isn't loving it for some reason I'll have to investigate it.
Again thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
karmagician

Any further results on getting this to work? I'm trying the same thing and it doesn't really seem to be working....

EDIT: let me clarify: When I send MIDI Clock into Reaper, it does seem to synchronize the bars and beats of the sequence as playing, with the downbeat of the device that is driving it. However, none of the plug-ins that use MIDI synchronization (i.e. delays that are tempo-synced) seem to follow the new tempo. Which is, of course, pretty useless, if the sequence is playing at a different tempo but all of the plug-ins are actually following the tempo that is entered in Reaper's project settings.
karmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
beingmf

of course you have to set the project's tempo to the same as the master one (i've never understood this either, but it's like that in every program unfortunately)
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
karmagician

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
of course you have to set the project's tempo to the same as the master one (i've never understood this either, but it's like that in every program unfortunately)
But what sense does that make? If I change the tempo from the external device, in real-time, I can't pop open Reaper's project settings and change the tempo to match... I don't understand how this can be useful...
karmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I did this only way back in the past, syncing analog multitracks to sequencers on atari. Never needed it in logic, cubendo or REAPER since they are DAWs.

In theory and AFAIR the MIDI time code (MTC) does not include the BPM value directly. But the slaved application could (and should) derrive it from the MTC pulses.

I rememebr that slowing down the tape speed also and directly affected the BPM indicator on the sequencer. In fact, it was never 100% stable when slaved because of the natural changes in tape speed... so it might show 80, 81, 80, 80, 79 and so on...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
TonE

SPP and midi clock are not the same. It seems Reaper can not be slaved to external midi clock master.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:28 AM   #10
davewah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
SPP and midi clock are not the same. It seems Reaper can not be slaved to external midi clock master.
reaper can Sync to Midi Clock. I have it working using SSP, although it's pretty clunky. The thing is that Reaper is really best for Midi Time Code and not Midi Clock. So unless one wants to start at the beginning of the Reaper arrangement every pass its not really of any use.
davewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
LugNut

Hi,

Reaper can sync to midi clock at a constant tempo. Which rules it out for me, but, Midi clock is 24 pulse per quarter note and SPP..song position pointer....just tries to tell the slave....yes I said it.....what bar you are at. Its a superset to midi clock.

Then on my iPad I have a daw that can slave to anything...midi clock or able ton link.....and realtime time stretch audio BETTER than reaper. And it uses eladtique.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:24 AM   #12
iphige

For any Synthstrom Audible Deluge users, I'd like to add that this also works with our beloved machine. Limitations though: for me selecting SPP Deluge as input worked, activating Playback and Recording enabled me to record a stereo output synced to a video (i'm composing music for films) into the timeline. There is a slight lag after launching, while Reaper is waiting for the timecode.

As for specific Deluge stuff, that would probably be relevant to users of other machines, the big limitation that is annoying is that you have to launch play from Song Mode ; it works from any point, not just start, and that's ok. It is limiting for editing one of the clip patterns on the Song Mode Timeline. If I launch from within that clip, Reaper starts from the beginning of its Timeline.

All in all, it's still really nice !
iphige is offline   Reply With Quote