Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
ajaym
Human being with feelings

Default New BCR2000 control surface plugin available

Hi folks

The Behringer BCR2000 control surface plugin previously available for Sonar users has now been ported to Reaper.

This plugin provides full duplex control of all key DAW functions, including

channel gain, pan, mute, solo
send gain and pan
transport control - play, pause, rewind, go to end, record
Navigation - previous/next measure, previous/next marker
Per-track record arm
Full scrub control with coarse and fine scrubbing
Full control of up to 7 insert FX per channel, with up to 120 parameters per FX. Each 'page' controls 24 parameters at a time,while still allowing access to the core track parameters (gain, mute, solo, record arm)
Coarse and fine parameter setting for any controlled parameter.
Track selection from control surface

Full console UI with electronic 'scribble strips' for each button and encoder, so you can see exactly what's controlling what.

The plugin allows the BCR to still be used with other applications; it does not require any Mackie emulation software.

Full source code is also available

Go to www.sourceforge.net and search for BCR2000

I have tested this fairly comprehensively on several large Reaper test projects (and it has been in use by Sonar users for quite some time now), but I would of appreciate feedback on any issues or comments you might have with it.

I'd like to thank all the people who contribute to the developer forum for their assistance in helping me get this ported. It was much appreciated, folks!
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Thanks for this, off to investigate now.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Susan G

Hi aj-

I love your SONAR version -- looking forward to checking this out!

Thanks-

-Susan

Edit: I'm not seeing it on that page, though, just the SONAR one and the SysEx converter.
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Phoby

It looks like the .dll file for reaper is contained within the version 1.2 download for Sonar. Have not tried it yet, just downloaded to have a look at it...

Thanks for this.
Phoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Susan G

Ah, okay. It didn't look like the file had been updated, but I was only looking at the date.

Thanks!

-Susan
Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Susan G

Hi aj-

So far no problems, it's working great! I really missed this in REAPER after relying on it so heavily in SONAR.

I'm also able to use a different preset vis MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke, as you suggested.

Thanks so much!

-Susan

P.S. You might want to update the description on SourceForge to include REAPER if you think it's ready to go. There's no indication on either the Search or Download pages that it supports REAPER now.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Susan G

Default CS in WIndows 7?

I PM'd aj, but thought I'd ask here as well. Is anyone able to use his control surface in Windows 9? REAPER crashes when I try to bring up the console.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
jbone1313

Does the BCR2000 even work in Win 7? If so, do you know where to get the drivers? I've checked Beheringer's site, but its quite confusing. They don't mention Win 7, and I get compatibility errors when installing the current drivers.

Thanks!
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Susan G

Hi jbone1313-

The BCR2000 works fine for me in Win 7 with the BEHRINGER_MIDI_WIN32_1.0.8 drivers. See: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/...Downloads.aspx

I just can't bring up aj's console.

-Susan

Last edited by Susan G; 12-31-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Susan G

Default Console working now!

aj's console comes up fine for me in Win7 now! I have no idea what changed -- I didn't try re-installing it or anything, but I'm happy to say it now works. :-)

P.S. The last thing I tried before PM-ing aj was running his prjbcr2000console.exe in XP compatibility mode. I've been going through numerous reboots in the process of installing stuff in Win 7, so it's possible I left that step out during my "trials"!

-Susan

Last edited by Susan G; 12-31-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

so i download it, change the install.cmd to drive d for my running os, now i can see the surface in reaper as supported.

however, turning knooba dont control anything,

also the console.exe thing does not run, i click on it and nothing happens, not even an hour glass.

right now i get use of teh bcr2000 by turning on control only in midi in out prefs.

with this, i have to turn OFF those midi in/out settings in order to enable the 'control surface' section to say it can open the midi ports.

so i do that, meaning midi prefs are off, control prefs are on, now your prjbcr2000console.exe doesent run, and the bcr doesent control anthing by default. got any ideas?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Susan G

Hi evanrabby-

Did you follow the instructions in aj's .rtf to the letter, including configuring the preset? It's working fine here. I'm using MIDI Yoke so I can have aj's CS and still use the BCR as a separate MIDI input; no problems at all with this configuration.

-Susan
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Bulls Hit

does this work for the bcf2000 as well, or only the bcr2000?
Bulls Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
Susan G

Hi Bulls Hit-

Only the BCR2000, at least for now.

-Susan
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Bulls Hit

Thanks Susan.

I'm happy enough with the 'MacSonar' emulation facilities on the bcf2000 for now
Bulls Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #16
evanrabby

ahahahahahaahaaaaaaa!!!!

ok im going senile i didnt read the instructions ( i usually read everything).

great, it works.

but aaaaahhhhahahaaaaa!!! i need control over SENDS!!! aaaaaahhhhh!
its been an issue in reaper forever.

and of course, this great dll only supports ONE send.... a hahahahahaaaaa! (WAAAH)

now, all i really want do do is be able to custom assign the knobs in this great full duplex surface support to whatever i want, IE rearrange your reaper control mapping...

otherwise ther is one bug i saw with jeffos' reasendcontrol: the GUI duesent update when i control the SEND, it does on faders. it ddoesent on freeG volume when a param knob is viewed on the mixer either. if i hover the mouse over the send or param knob, then it updates...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #17
zenguru

Hi there, my first post...

I followed the installation instructions and everything seemed to be ok. I can control faders, pan, etc. However, the parameters don't change smoothly. I try to explain this as clearly as I can...

It seems like the BCR is getting some strange MIDI feedback... when I change a controller value by tweaking a knob on BCR, the BCR seems to receive a "value decrement" -instruction as a feedback from computer. As a result, the controller value decreases twice the normal rate when turning counter clockwise. When turning clockwice, the value seems to stuck and you have to turn the knob really fast to get any response.

If I disable MIDI output from Control Surface Settings, the problem disappears (but then I have no MIDI feedback at all).

Any help appreciated. Thank you!
zenguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
evanrabby

that happened to me as well, exactly as you describe.
evanrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
ajaym

Default BCR2000 control surface plugin

Hi folks

some quick replies

evenrabby

I have considered enhancing the plugin to support fully custom assignments e.g multiple sends etc, but I can really only justify the considerable amount of time involved in further enhancements if the existing users feel kindly enough disposed to make some financial contributions as discussed in the release note documentation. Otherwise unfortunately I have to eat, hence, paying work takes precedence. Of course, you are perfectly free to hack it any way you wish, it would probably not be too difficult to hack the page switching logic around a little to add a 'send page' that would then give you access to unlimited sends per channel. The relationship between knobs on the surface and the actual controlled parameters is reasonably easy to alter in code.

Note that the bug you see with ReaSend may actually be a problem with Reaper as I saw the same thing in testing the BCR send logic; the screen doesn't repaint properly. I did note this on the developer forum; hopefully it will be fixed in a subsequent Reaper release.

zenguru

What mode is the BCR in. For USB connection it should be in mode u-1 and you should also be sure that you haven't inadvertantly created some kind of feedback loop outside of Reaper e.g with MIDI-OX/Midi-Yoke if you are using them.

bulls hit

This plugin will work with the BCF (not in Mackie mode) but obviously functionality will be more limited as you do not have the 24 knobs. Also the default mappings will be rather odd as the top rotaries will be channel gain (and not having a BCF I'm not sure where the sliders will end up being mapped). However if you changed the MIDI CC assignments around on the BCF preset you use, you could use the BCF with this plugin. Whether there's any point, I don't know. You could remap the top knobs to channel pan, and the sliders to channel gain, and then you are only losing 16 knobs, so you would have channel gain, pan, mute, solo, track selection, record arm and (interestingly) you could scrub with the sliders, which would be kind of weird but fun. On pages other than the main page, the pan controls (top row of knobs, assuming that's where you remap them) will control the first 8 parameters of whatever plugin you have on that page. So you do have a fair subset of the BCR functionality, I guess. Whether that's more ergonomic than the Mackie plugin, I don't know.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
evanrabby

i used along time ago to do some programming... where should i start IE source files, etc?

i can contribute to development as well, but i really need just one page of completely custom actions, with parameter feedback, so my use may be better for me to edit the mappings myself?

key problem is id need to be able to recognize the send mapping from code, ill have to take a look...
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
zenguru

Hi ajaym,

yes, the bcr is in mode u-1. And no, I don't have any inadvertent MIDI feedback loops.

I do have MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke installed, though. I created the following MIDI chain by using them, in order to find out what's actually happening:

BCR -> MIDI-OX -> MIDI Yoke 1 -> Reaper -> MIDI Yoke 2 -> MIDI-OX -> BCR

MIDI-OX was used for monitoring MIDI packet information. MIDI Yoke was used to patch the MIDI chain from MIDI-OX to Reaper and from Reaper to MIDI-OX.

This is what happens: in BCR, the value of a controller is X. When turned clockwise, the value changes to X+1 and this value gets sent to Reaper. However, Reaper responds by sending back a value of X+1-1 = X. This value is the "new" value of the controller. Back to square one. Likewise when turning counter clockwise, X-1 is sent but X-2 gets back. If I change to a "normal" patch in BCR, then all the values get sent and received normally.

Sorry to say this but I think there's something in the code... I took a look at it but I'm not that good at C++ that I could say anything really... and you probably know your stuff better than anyone else. I wish I had enough skills to contribute...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
evanrabby

is there a non c++ way to edit code here? i used to use pascal, basic, fortran... and now excel, and .xml and html code only...
not low level languages
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #23
ajaym

Hi zenguru

I have double-checked using a sample Reaper project (I used Right Here from the sample collection). I cannot replicate the issue that you are seeing.

I suggest shutting down MIDI-OX and then configuring Reaper to assign the control surface ports directly to the BCR2000 itself. If for any reason you also have the MIDI connectors on the BCR connected, I would unplug them, so just the USB port is in use (I think this is probably how you already have things, just making sure)

Now, with JUST these ports assigned, can you control things smoothly?. If not, is the problem only for channel gain or for all rotaries. e.g channel pan etc?.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
ajaym

evanrabby

I sympathise on C++ programming. Not the easiest language to work with, but the control surface bindings are to C/C++ because that's what Reaper's written in. There's no reason, in theory, why a control surface plugin couldn't be written in another language, provided that some kind of 'shim' DLL existed so that Reaper could instantiate it. However there would be potential issues. Many easier-to-use languages, for instance, have 'garbage collection' to manage memory usage. This can kick in any time, possibly causing Reaper to glitch. (this is why the console UI runs in a separate process and why it accepts requests and then returns control immediately to the caller, then gets on with the request later.)

But although C++ is a bit harder, it's worth learning. It's one of the Big Three languages (Java, C# being the other two) and in any case you really only need to learn C (C++ being a superset of C), because I deliberately wrote the surface code to be as 'C-like' as possible rather than use lots of clever C++ tricks. Hence, 95% of that code is just standard C. There are plenty of excellent C programming books and once you have mastered arrays, pointers, references, structures and unions, you have almost all the tools you need to hack that code.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
evanrabby

mabe I'll look into it. btw I have the midi loop problem too and that's just USB midi connector and basic midi in and out. down down down it goes up? nobody knows.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #26
Susan G

Hi aj-

The console has stopped working for me in the latest (3.21 pre 1). The controls still work, but REAPER crashes consistently when I try to bring up the console:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Fault Module Name: reaper_bcr2000.dll

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #27
zenguru

Hi ajaym,

Quote:
I suggest shutting down MIDI-OX and then configuring Reaper to assign the control surface ports directly to the BCR2000 itself. If for any reason you also have the MIDI connectors on the BCR connected, I would unplug them, so just the USB port is in use (I think this is probably how you already have things, just making sure)
I'm using MIDI-OX here only for debugging purposes, to see what's happening between BCR and Reaper. MIDI-OX is not used in normal operation. I also use the BCR only as a control surface, no external MIDI devices connected. Mode U-1 wouldn't let me do that anyway, I assume.

Quote:
Now, with JUST these ports assigned, can you control things smoothly?. If not, is the problem only for channel gain or for all rotaries. e.g channel pan etc?.
No smooth operation, unfortunately... and it's the same with any control, gain, pan, inserts etc.

Things get even stickier when automation mode is set to "write". Then it's virtually impossible to change a value at all. The controller value always returns to the original value or thereabouts , no matter how much or fast I tweak a knob on the BCR. Also when adjusting a value in Reaper, the BCR value doesn't get updated.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
ajaym

Hi Susan

I had this problem at one stage and found that forcing the console process to unregister and then reregister resolved it. There are instructions for this in the release notes for the latest version of the surface, towards the end of the document. Let me know if that doesn't work for you

Hi zenguru

I would still recommend removing MIDI-OX by shutting it down and ensuring that the control surface is directly connected in Reaper to the BCR2000's USB MIDI ports. I'm assuming you are connecting through MIDI-OX and then using the MIDI-OX virtual port into Reaper, right?

It might also be worth reinstalling Behringer's USB driver - this should be the latest available version as earlier versions did have issues.

Another thing to try would be to remove the control surface plugin in Reaper's setup and then re-enable (in Reaper) the BCR2000 MIDI in and out. They must have been disabled for Reaper to have allowed them to be used for the control surface.

Now twiddle some knobs on the unit on a MIDI track and record the result. Does the unit work correctly with no 'fighting' when you do this? (I would think it should). Does Reaper, when the track is replayed, send the MIDI back to the BCR - the rotaries should replay the movements you made when you recorded the track. This at least confirms the correct operation of the unit.

I have had this problem - but only when the BCR was in the wrong operating mode and was feeding its MIDI back to itself. To be absolutely sure, select another operating mode like U-3, save it, turn the unit off and on, verify it's still in U-3, then reprogram it to U-1. Also, reloading the device firmware - it should be 1.10 - may be worth while.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #29
zenguru

Hi ajaym,

I have MIDI-OX running only when I want to monitor what comes in and what comes out. The results are the same weather MIDI-OX is running or not. I reinstalled the drivers, but it's still the same.

When recording MIDI from BCR it actually fights back a little bit, but the behavior is different. It's resisting both upward and downward movements. In this configuration the track is sending MIDI back to BCR.

When the output is disabled it will work normally. Also playing back the recorded MIDI works ok - the leds on BCR are moving.

I did a little test to see how Ableton handles all the MIDI ins and outs. It seems that Ableton updates the controller surface values only after the knob has stopped from moving... this kind of makes sense. When tweaking a knob on BCR, the controller knows what's the value at the moment - no need to tell it. It's only after a series of CC messages and a small pause when Ableton sends the latest value back, as to make sure the both are in "sync". Many CC messages come out of BCR, only one goes in.

This might be one reason to the problem. If BCR is sending those values quicker than Reaper can respond, wouldn't it then cause BCR to receive old, "expired" values, which would set the BCR value back to something it was a moment ago? For this to work as expected, the MIDI latency should be really small - this is a factor which depends on hardware, configuration and whatnot. It doesn't explain the different behavior on up and down, though...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #30
Drumbum

Default ZenGuru's Problem

I had your problem Zen. Took me a while to "figure it out" or at least fix it. I have an idea how it happened, but not entirely sure. Anyway...what I did was used Propellerhead's Record (or Reason) to temporarily overwrite the preset I use for Ajay's Plug-in. Then when the BRC preset reloads itself, it works smoothly as before.

1. Leave the BRC2000 on the preset number you have chosen for the plug.
2. Fire up Reason or Record
3. Goto the EDIT menu-->preferences-->Control Surfaces and Keyboards
4. Add the BRC2000 manually or let it auto-detect.
5. Create a couple of devices and switch around to each of them (watch the display for changes).
6. Go back to step 3 and delete the BRC2000 and exit Prop-heads software.
7. Now just change the BRC preset and change it right back.
8. It should reprogram itself and be working again in Reaper.

Hope that helps, Zen

And thank you so much for the wonderful work, Ajay
Drumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
Susan G

Hi aj-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I had this problem at one stage and found that forcing the console process to unregister and then reregister resolved it. There are instructions for this in the release notes for the latest version of the surface, towards the end of the document. Let me know if that doesn't work for you
It's working again<g>! I had to turn off UAC first. Until I did that, REAPER would just freeze completely when I tried to select the BCR2000 control surface.

BTW, the .rtf reads "prjbcr2000control.exe" instead of "prjbcr2000console.exe".

Thanks!

-Susan
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
Susan G

Hi aj-

It definitely seems to work more smoothly in SONAR, esp. when I change direction or move the controls slowly.

-Susan
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #33
zenguru

Default Problem solved!

Thanks Drumbum! I honestly didn't believe that your trick would work, but it did! I don't have a clue what was wrong. If you do, maybe it would be useful if you shared your thoughts. Maybe the problem can be avoided somehow?

I'm sorry ajaym, there wasn't anything wrong with your code after all... I'm so glad it's working perfectly now!

To support your work with the plugin I just made a small donation. It would be REALLY nice to see more features... Well, it's great anyway. Thank you so much!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
ajaym

Hi zenguru

Firstly, many thanks for your contribution. You know, that really matters at the moment. I'm between jobs at present - and I'm helping my daughter with daycare costs and stuff, so it really is much appreciated.

Susan.

Dammit, no matter how many times I proof read these instructions SOMETHING sneaks through. It's a miracle anything gets documented 100% accurately. Thank goodness for your sharp eyes!. Third time lucky I guess - at least last time I got rid of that regrettable typo - a single missing digit - that caused some confusion over channel numbers.

UAC is evil. I disabled it a long time ago - I'll take my chances, thanks, Microsoft!. That new Internet Explorer flaw isn't picked up by UAC anyway. All it seems to do is get in the way. No idea why in this case, mind you.

As for the preset issue. That's plain weird. It has to be some weird bug with the BCR2000 firmware, I'm guessing. I assume this is with 1.10 of the firmware, the older versions definitely had some quirks.

Ah well, back to my bedtime reading. 700 pages on Windows Communications Foundation essentials. Don't ask. The life of a software developer is a lonely one. Just hope to get some time soon to get back to music (and fun stuff).
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
Susan G

Hi aj-

Quote:
Susan.

Dammit, no matter how many times I proof read these instructions SOMETHING sneaks through. It's a miracle anything gets documented 100% accurately. Thank goodness for your sharp eyes!
It wasn't so much my "sharp eyes" (since they're not very!), just me being lazy and copy/pasting from the .rtf, which gave me an error !

I reloaded and re-saved your preset, but I'm still seeing "fighting" over the controls as reported by others (in REAPER only; it works fine in SONAR). It does feel like a MIDI feedback loop, but not exactly, since it works if I turn the BCR knob fast enough. It's also very noticeable when I switch from incrementing to decrementing the value, or vice-versa, as I said. This is without MIDI-OX running at all.

You're not seeing this at all, I gather? I wonder what the difference is...

Thanks again-

-Susan
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #36
ajaym

Hi Susan

No, it's smooth as silk when I rotate a preset. This is definitely weird. I'd start by disabling all other MIDI devices in Reaper, removing the control surface and re-adding it, confirming that the MIDI interface to the BCR is definitely disabled in Reaper (as it should be for use with a control surface) and that MIDI-OX/MIDI-YOKE are not in use. Then confirm that the BCR is in mode U-1 and see what happens. If strange behaviour still occurs, what happens if you remove the CS plugin in Reaper, re-enable the BCR MIDI interface in Reaper and record/play back into a MIDI track. Is that working properly?.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Susan G

Hi aj-

I verified the mode, re-installed the surface, disabled all other MIDI devices, etc. Still the same.

When I use the BCR as a regular MIDI device, I can record movements smoothly. Using MIDI-OX to diagnose any problems, I get very smooth increments as well.

I basically can't use the CS at all in anything other than Trim/Read mode. It's fine if I disable the MIDI Output, of course. The BCR also updates smoothly if I use REAPER's controls with MIDI Output enabled. I just can't use the BCR's In/Out at the same time.

Not sure why to try next .

Thanks again-

-Susan
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #38
ajaym

Hi Susan

Well, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. First of all:-

I'm assuming the following:-

1. Firmware on BCR is 1.10 and not an earlier version. It shows you when you turn it on

2. Behringer MIDI driver is most recent version - hasn't been updated for quite a while, mind you. In device manager it should report as version 1.2.1.3 (on XP, at any rate)

3. You're running on a 32 bit OS either Win XP SP2 or greater or Vista, preerably at SP1. I developed and tested on Win XP SP2 and Vista SP1. It may work with a 64 bit OS but I have done no testing on this.

4. Reaper is a reasonably recent version. I'm currently on 3.1415

5. You're connecting the BCR directly via USB in mode U-1 - you've confirmed this already, I'm pretty sure, and there are no MIDI connections to the unit's MIDI ports. And you've reconfigured the BCR to another operating mode, saved that mode, cycled power to the unit then set it back to U-1 with Reaper not running and then gone back in to Reaper again, right?

6. The USB port you are using is one of the computer's primary USB ports and not on a breakout card or via a hub. Now, I am using a hub with no problems but sometimes weird things happen and changing USB ports fixes it. Worth a try.

7. You can reproduce the problem with an empty Reaper project. In that case, the left hand top encoder should control master volume with no Reaper tracks. Does this also not work?.

Now, assuming all the above, it looks like Reaper is somehow 'out by one' when it reports the MIDI event to the CS software. This kind of sounds like a weird buffering issue, so that when I rotate an encoder, the events that transmit the changing MIDI values don't all get to the CS plugin.

Ah.... I just had a thought. What's your 'control surface update frequency' set to on the control surface dialogue. It should be 15Hz. If it is, try changing it to a faster or slower refresh rate. Does this affect the problem

Also, what do the switches do?. If you mute or solo a track, does this work properly. Is it just the encoders?.

Finally. If you are running any kind of Antivirus software, try disabling it temporarily. AV software can do horribly strange things.
Also what happens when you move the faders in Reaper. Does the BCR track smoothly on the encoders

I've just gone back and double-checked all is well on both my machines, so I definitely cannot reproduce this - but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
Susan G

Hi aj-
Quote:
Hi Susan

Well, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. First of all:-

I'm assuming the following:-

1. Firmware on BCR is 1.10 and not an earlier version. It shows you when you turn it on
Yes.

Quote:
2. Behringer MIDI driver is most recent version - hasn't been updated for quite a while, mind you. In device manager it should report as version 1.2.1.3 (on XP, at any rate)
I installed the latest Windows 7 drivers. They show up in DM as 1.0.10.0, dated 12/15/2009. Maybe the newer drivers are the problem. I'll see if I can find & install an earlier version.

Quote:
3. You're running on a 32 bit OS either Win XP SP2 or greater or Vista, preerably at SP1. I developed and tested on Win XP SP2 and Vista SP1. It may work with a 64 bit OS but I have done no testing on this.
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (32-bit)

Quote:
4. Reaper is a reasonably recent version. I'm currently on 3.1415
3.21pre4

Quote:
5. You're connecting the BCR directly via USB in mode U-1 - you've confirmed this already, I'm pretty sure, and there are no MIDI connections to the unit's MIDI ports. And you've reconfigured the BCR to another operating mode, saved that mode, cycled power to the unit then set it back to U-1 with Reaper not running and then gone back in to Reaper again, right?
No MIDI connections. I'll try the mode switch again. I'm not sure if I cycled the power before.

Quote:
6. The USB port you are using is one of the computer's primary USB ports and not on a breakout card or via a hub. Now, I am using a hub with no problems but sometimes weird things happen and changing USB ports fixes it. Worth a try.
It's a primary USB port.

Quote:
7. You can reproduce the problem with an empty Reaper project. In that case, the left hand top encoder should control master volume with no Reaper tracks. Does this also not work?.
No, same problem.

Quote:
Now, assuming all the above, it looks like Reaper is somehow 'out by one' when it reports the MIDI event to the CS software. This kind of sounds like a weird buffering issue, so that when I rotate an encoder, the events that transmit the changing MIDI values don't all get to the CS plugin.

Ah.... I just had a thought. What's your 'control surface update frequency' set to on the control surface dialogue. It should be 15Hz. If it is, try changing it to a faster or slower refresh rate. Does this affect the problem
It's at the default. I'll experiment next chance.

Quote:
Also, what do the switches do?. If you mute or solo a track, does this work properly. Is it just the encoders?.
The mute/solo switches work fine. It's only the encoders.

Quote:
Finally. If you are running any kind of Antivirus software, try disabling it temporarily. AV software can do horribly strange things.
I'll try that too.
Quote:
Also what happens when you move the faders in Reaper. Does the BCR track smoothly on the encoders
Yes, it tracks perfectly in that case.

Quote:
I've just gone back and double-checked all is well on both my machines, so I definitely cannot reproduce this - but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.
Thanks again -- I really appreciate your help with this!

-Susan
Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #40
Liquidmantis

I just got a BCR2000 today and sure enough I had the weird encoder issue as well. Encoders go down easily but to get them to go up you have to turn the dial really quickly. My fix seems to have been setting the preferences for the BCR2000 control surface to have the MIDI input on BCR2000 Port 1 and MIDI output on BCR2000 Port 2. The BCR2000 still gets feedback but it seems to fix the apparent loopback flakiness.

Let me do some more testing but I'll most likely pony up a donation shortly. I'd love to see this be developed further.

[Edit] I was mistaken, it's not updating the BCR2000 when the MIDI Output is on port 2. So it's either funky encoder behavior or no display feedback.

Last edited by Liquidmantis; 01-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Liquidmantis is offline   Reply With Quote