Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Default "Smart Copy, Cut, Split" option

Hello fellow Reaper fans.

I give my thanks to the devs and users here for making Reaper the best yet affordable DAW. An amazing software indeed.

I would like to suggest a simple option that will speed up and also simplify editing items in Reaper. Currently if I select and copy/cut an item, it applies it to the whole item I selected. And if I want to apply copy/cut to a time selection, I'd have to use another shortcut/action that specifically applies to time selection only. Currently we have "copy/cut depending on focus" which is great, and it would benefit with an additional option of "last selected item or time selection copy/cut/split" checkbox. It basically applies your copy/cut/split command to your last selection, be it an item or a time selection, but not both. This can be added in "editing behaviour" instead as an action. This option will transit rather naturally for alot of users because it doesn't change the way you edit, just reduce the amount of shortcutkeys for copy/cut/split.

Reason I added "split" is because I would like to use the same shortcutkey for splitting items or time selection. However if I create a macro with both "split item" and "split time selection" , it splits in the time selection, as well as where my edit cursor is. I would like it to be only either one, which is my last selection, be it item select, or time selection. Same theory goes for copy and cut function.

Alternatively, a very simple action command can be added which will change the entire face of Reaper community!

"copy items/tracks/env points/time selection (depending on focus and last selection)"

"cut items/tracks/env points/time selection (depending on focus and last selection)"

"split items at edit cursor or time selection, depending on which is last selected"

Sorry if my explanation is unclear. I'm not quite sure how to show examples with pictures. Perhaps if someone else who knows how to explain through pictures can help draft? Do shoot me with questions if any. Or suggestions if this can be done already without devs adding the option. Perhaps SWS/Xenakios can do something about it ? Cheers, hope to hear some comments / productive criticism .
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Hello fellow Reaper fans.

I give my thanks to the devs and users here for making Reaper the best yet affordable DAW. An amazing software indeed.

I would like to suggest a simple option that will speed up and also simplify editing items in Reaper. Currently if I select and copy/cut an item, it applies it to the whole item I selected. And if I want to apply copy/cut to a time selection, I'd have to use another shortcut/action that specifically applies to time selection only. Currently we have "copy/cut depending on focus" which is great, and it would benefit with an additional option of "last selected item or time selection copy/cut/split" checkbox. It basically applies your copy/cut/split command to your last selection, be it an item or a time selection, but not both. This can be added in "editing behaviour" instead as an action. This option will transit rather naturally for alot of users because it doesn't change the way you edit, just reduce the amount of shortcutkeys for copy/cut/split.

Reason I added "split" is because I would like to use the same shortcutkey for splitting items or time selection. However if I create a macro with both "split item" and "split time selection" , it splits in the time selection, as well as where my edit cursor is. I would like it to be only either one, which is my last selection, be it item select, or time selection. Same theory goes for copy and cut function.

Alternatively, a very simple action command can be added which will change the entire face of Reaper community!

"copy items/tracks/env points/time selection (depending on focus and last selection)"

"cut items/tracks/env points/time selection (depending on focus and last selection)"

"split items at edit cursor or time selection, depending on which is last selected"

Sorry if my explanation is unclear. I'm not quite sure how to show examples with pictures. Perhaps if someone else who knows how to explain through pictures can help draft? Do shoot me with questions if any. Or suggestions if this can be done already without devs adding the option. Perhaps SWS/Xenakios can do something about it ? Cheers, hope to hear some comments / productive criticism .
That seems like a great suggestion +1!

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
lawrs

No love from devs nor indie programmers? How bout just a simple "time selection or item selection, depending on last touched"? Please. With these options, the custom macros could expand much much wider.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
maxdis

+1, please :-)
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
jas

This might be a step in the right direction for you.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...397#post435397

Reawave by Ben

Edit: I just noticed lawrs already on that forum, but others might like it too.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This might be a step in the right direction for you.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...397#post435397

Reawave by Ben

Edit: I just noticed lawrs already on that forum, but others might like it too.
Thanks for replying jas.

How do you think BenX's Reawave is related to what I'm looking for? I don't quite get the relation.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Thanks for replying jas.

How do you think BenX's Reawave is related to what I'm looking for? I don't quite get the relation.
Well, you appear to have a background familiar with the editing capabilities of Protools. I, like many others here have similar experience. In fact, various forms of improved editing performance are discussed regularly here by others such as Airon, Shan and Plush2.
Some of that development is being pursued at the OSX forum:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...400#post435400

and many Elevated Feature Requests exist as a result of topics on this forum
such as Selection Cursor, and more generally, those mentioned at Post Production Feature Requests:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...546#post433546

Basically, if you are a professional editor, you know that less steps makes for greater accomplishments.

Reaper started out with very little emphasis upon audio editing. Improvements have followed, but one must consider the broad user base here with regard to feature request priorities. The very path of design which prompted the user to employ an external editor is what has led to developments such as Reawave.
Be that as it may, it does lead to unique solutions. For example, Ben at the Question and Answer forum just showed me how to turn off Ripple Edit at startup on Reawave (by editing the custom action). This could be a great place to try other custom actions such as those you have just suggested in this thread.
What Reawave does accomplish is the splitting of a time selection and giving an exploded view of that time selection to work within.
Having other KeyMaps loaded (such as Robert Millord's Protools Keys):

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/3113/Robert...n%20REAPER.zip

allow fast PT keyboard shortcuts to be executed in both the Reaper project and it's respective Reawave project template. Hopefully, this will also lead to further tools (such as Shan's custom cursors) to come into further use.

To summarize, I'm optimistic about the editing future of Reaper, however it might develop.

Last edited by jas; 01-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote