Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default Creating CD tracks

I mentioned this a while back more or less in passing, but I thought it might be useful to re-visit the matter of creating CD tracks.

There are a number of ways this might be implemented (of course Justin may not wish to implement any scheme) but here are some possibilities.

1. Going the whole hog - When rendering to wave, create a CD track cue at each point that a marker is in the project file, complete with marker label for CD text, by having the right stuff written in the cue-points chunk of the rendered wave file.

2. Going not quite so far - Provide for the generation of a separate "cue sheet" based on the markers in the project file. This can then be used in programs such as Nero and EAC which support cue sheets to put the CD tracks in the right places. Furthermore, "CueListTool" (natty freeware program from http://www.stefanbion.de/cueltool/index_e.htm ) can take a cue sheet and insert its contents into a wave file as cue data, thus avoiding the need to build that function into Reaper.

3. Going somewhere in between - exactly the same as (2) above, but extend the info stored with markers beyond just the plain description. The Cue Sheet format provides for a number of fields and by having more than just the "name" field attached to each Reaper marker, these could also be used. A good summary of the format of cue sheets is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet

4. Alternatively, in the render dialog, have a tickbox for "split file at markers" so that the rendered file would be broken up into filename_tk1, filename_tk2, filename_tk3 etc etc, which could then be dragged into Nero or whatever to compile the CD. However, that doesn't provide very well for CD text which personally I use a lot, and it's nice to end up with just one wave file with associated cue sheet to burn to CD rather than a stack of smaller waves.

================================================== ==

Creating a cue sheet from a Reaper project file could actually be a separate utility which someone other than Justin could put together - it's just text manipulation, and the location of markers is clearly set out in a small part of the project file text. However, it would be perhaps neatest if in the "Render" dialog there were to be a "creat cue sheet" tickbox which would create a ".cue" file matching the requested output filename for the render operation.

An extended approach to markers would provide for a marker window, listing the markers, their locations and their labels (and any other fields) and providing for jumping to any marker in the project when double-clicked in the marker window - also, editing of the marker data would also be handy in such a window. But perhaps that's one for version 2.0.

It's a personal workflow thing, but I'm about to start editing a concert recording lasting about 1h50mins and would love to try it in Reaper. However, there are lots of points in the concert needing separate CD tracks, and although I can mark them in Reaper as I locate them in the editing process, once the project is rendered I'd have to find them all again manually in the rendered wave file and use CueListTool to put in the CD track markers. Of course I could be guided by the list in the Reaper project file, but it's a bit of an inelegant and timeconsuming way of doing it.

Whatever (if any) method does get used, the importance of having CD tracks at frame boundaries (75 frames per sec for CD) should be borne in mind to avoid clicks at CD tracks. So CD tracks should be made to fall at the nearest frame boundary before the actual marker location.

Last edited by Art Evans; 03-20-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
tay
Human being with feelings

Default creating a cd

I've been using Reaper for aabout six months and I want to create a cd for myself and friends , how do I change midi to wav files or can I?
or can I create one with my midi files. thanks for any help. Tay
tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
eightnine

You can't make an audio cd with midi, you'll need to render them first.
That means recording them while they playback.

Oh, sorry for answering the OT and ignoring the IT, I like the first option!

Last edited by eightnine; 04-03-2007 at 08:03 AM.
eightnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
d. gauss

i like the samplitude way where there are track markers independent of regular project markers. click "insert CD track" marker and you are done. plus they automatically stay in ascending order from left to right no matter where you insert them.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
todd24

I like the bin cue file myself but....I belive this cannot be done with a real time bounce for using out board gear, no?

So in that case the option to split the files is a good idea.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
tay

Default creating a cd

I have wav files saved in Reaper , now how do I create a cd. Please
tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay View Post
I have wav files saved in Reaper , now how do I create a cd. Please
In a nutshell ...

When your song is complete, save it, then go to File>Render and make sure to select a .wav file set to 44100HZ and 16 bit depth (if it's not, some CD players won't be able to play it). Also, don't forget to give your file a name - 'untitled.wav' is so uninspiring.

Then, burn the wav file to CD and 'hey presto' your first track is on CD and you'll be a millionaire mega star in no time at all!

Seriously though - have fun!

Sorry ... forgot to mention to use audio burning software to burn the CD (I think Windows Media Player can do it) to produce the correct format for CD players.

Apologies Art - back on topic now

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer

Last edited by dungbeetle; 04-12-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Forgot something ...
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

In the "output format" part of the Render dialog, choose "Audio CD image" and you'll get useful options including one to burn to CD direct from Reaper.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Kainer

but without naming your tracks....

I get a result with all tracks as individual songs on a cd, but without the names (markers are named and tracks too). the songs on the cd are named: track1, track2, track3 ....

in project files I selected write markers as cues and I burn the cd out of reaper with the render dialog set to audio cd image.
what can be wrong? or isn´t it possible to get a cd with named songs?

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
livedead13

i've never burned a cd straight from Reaper, so i'm not sure if it writes cd-text.

if it does, you need to play the cd in a player that supports cd-text. most computer media players don't. a lot of hardware players do.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Kainer

thanx livedead. stupid me. didn´t try winamp first. shame on me.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote