Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default 3.45 - some organizational changes

I should begin this post noting that in general, we try to avoid changing the way existing things work, as to not break the continuity of anybody's work process.

There are some changes to the way 3.45 deals with Color Themes, JS Effects, and other associated data. This post will summarize these changes. Depending on how you use REAPER, these changes may not affect you. These changes were necessary in order to have full functionality on modern Windows versions, and to allow more customization to be per-user rather than per-system.

Summary:
  • On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP).
  • You can now have zipped color themes, *.ReaperThemeZip, which include both a ".ReaperTheme" file, and a subdirectory with png/ico/etc images.
  • You can now also have zipped icon themes, *.ReaperIconsZip, which are treated just like a subdirectory with images in them.
  • Note that in both of the above cases, the presence of a zip with the above name overrides a directory of the same name.

More details:
  • On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP). The installer will automatically migrate your data around so that it should just work. If you had manually put reaper.ini in your REAPER program directory, these directories will remain there and be used.
  • On Windows and OS X: Color and Icon Themes can now be stored in convenient zipped files. This has many performance improvements (especially when the zip files are created using "store", or no compression). You can create a zip file named "xxx.ReaperThemeZip" that includes a .ReaperTheme file and a subdirectory with images. The default icon themes now come included as "Default.ReaperIconsZip" and "Default_3.0.ReaperIconsZip", which are just the images (not full themes), and separate .ReaperTheme files for the color themes themselves. The reason for this is that existing themes may reference the old "Default_3.0" icon theme, and it will now use the zipped icon theme instead. A key thing to note is that if both "SomeImageDir" and "SomeImageDir.ReaperThemeZip" or "SomeImageDir.ReaperIconsZip" exist, the zip file will be used in preference.
  • On Windows, you will see that the installer creates, in your Program Files\REAPER directory, a new folder called "InstallData". This contains data that will automatically be installed (by REAPER) to your AppData\REAPER directory (listed above). The installer might also create some _user folders in the "InstallData" path, so that your existing customizations can be preserved separately.

One more thing:

The preferred way I create ReaperThemeZip files, using info-zip command line ( http://www.info-zip.org/Zip.html ):

zip -D0X sometheme-zipped.ReaperThemeZip sometheme.ReaperTheme ThemeImageDirectory/*.*

-Justin

Last edited by Justin; 04-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
dub3000
Human being with feelings

i think it'd be really useful to have an action buried somewhere to pop up the themes and JS fx folders in explorer/finder from within reaper.

it's already painful enough to describe to people how to get to their FX folder to install new JS fx, for instance - and now that it's system dependent it'll be trickier.

is that an option?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
i think it'd be really useful to have an action buried somewhere to pop up the themes and JS fx folders in explorer/finder from within reaper.

it's already painful enough to describe to people how to get to their FX folder to install new JS fx, for instance - and now that it's system dependent it'll be trickier.

is that an option?
Yeah I was just adding that actually.. The next build will have an action for "Show reaper resource path in explorer/finder".. maybe it can make the file menu, too...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

I notice that with 3.45 rc1 the PDF files in the REAPER program directory are again not being picked up by the Help menu.

Is this intentional or a bug?
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah I was just adding that actually.. The next build will have an action for "Show reaper resource path in explorer/finder".. maybe it can make the file menu, too...
Cool idea I'm working on more theme tweaks right now so this new convention will make things consistent and easier to write readme's (or possibly even unnecessary) for the theme uploads.

Just a quick question. If we are up to 3.41pre13 now, wouldn't that mean that the next public release would be 3.41 (from 3.4) or have I missed something with the version labelling?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Just a quick question. If we are up to 3.41pre13 now, wouldn't that mean that the next public release would be 3.41 (from 3.4) or have I missed something with the version labelling?
That's just a prerelease label. Cockos is free to change the version number depending on amount (or importance) of fixes/added functionality.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Dstruct

Quote:
[*] On Windows and OS X: Color and Icon Themes can now be stored in convenient zipped files. This has many performance improvements (especially when the zip files are created using "store", or no compression). You can create a zip file named "xxx.ReaperThemeZip" that includes a .ReaperTheme file and a subdirectory with images. The default icon themes now come included as "Default.ReaperIconsZip" and "Default_3.0.ReaperIconsZip", which are just the images (not full themes), and separate .ReaperTheme files for the color themes themselves. The reason for this is that existing themes may reference the old "Default_3.0" icon theme, and it will now use the zipped icon theme instead. A key thing to note is that if both "SomeImageDir" and "SomeImageDir.ReaperThemeZip" or "SomeImageDir.ReaperIconsZip" exist, the zip file will be used in preference.[*] On Windows, you will see that the installer creates, in your Program Files\REAPER directory, a new folder called "InstallData". This contains data that will automatically be installed (by REAPER) to your AppData\REAPER directory (listed above). The installer might also create some _user folders in the "InstallData" path, so that your existing customizations can be preserved separately.
Why not changing the weird default theme naming too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Current theme files are named

2.0 Theme:
Default_2.0.reapertheme + Default.ReaperIconsZip + folder "Default" in the ZIP

3.0 Theme:
Default.ReaperTheme + Default_3.0.ReaperIconsZip + folder "Default_3.0" in the ZIP

Naming is confusing and capitalization is not consistent.

Should be:

2.0 Theme:
Default 2.0.ReaperTheme (no underscore and capitalization fixed) + Default 2.0.ReaperIconsZip (mentioning old 2.0 version number) + folder "Default 2.0" (mentioning old 2.0 version number) in the ZIP

3.0 Theme:
Default.ReaperTheme + Default.ReaperIconsZip (no version number here) + folder "Default" (no version number here) in the ZIP

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=10
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's just a prerelease label. Cockos is free to change the version number depending on amount (or importance) of fixes/added functionality.
Gotcha
Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
off&on

Quote:
On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP).
Thanks for keeping it simple (and avoiding the All Users / Default / Public scheme).
off&on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
fredv

Quote:
[*] On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP). The installer will automatically migrate your data around so that it should just work. [BOLD]If you had manually put reaper.ini in your REAPER program directory, these directories will remain there and be used. [/BOLD]
Thanks Justin for explanation.
Just to be perfectly sure because i want to have my full Reaper installation + settings in one unique folder with absolutely no other Application Data or Document and Settings file.
Do i only have to put the reaper.ini in my main Reaper folder and Reaper will know it should not write settings to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER ?

I want to be sure it is still possible to have a unique Reaper folder containing everything even if it needs a bit of manual process on the first time

Thanks
fredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Quote:
+1, such an easy fix.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
+1000 ...makes my brain hurt...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #13
mabian

Just to be more Windows explorer friendy, what about supporting a file naming scheme like Name.ReaperTheme.zip or Name.ReaperIcons.zip?

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
Anomaly

I have a question concerning this new arrangement.
Is it possible to keep reaper storing everything inside the program directory?
That's the way I'd prefer it, because I make frequent backups of reaper and it becomes difficult if there is stuff scattered around the hd.
cheers
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
El-Rallef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
That's the way I'd prefer it, because I make frequent backups of reaper and it becomes difficult if there is stuff scattered around the hd.
Same here - +1.

Theoretically, stuff that is user dependent should be kept in users' folders.

But, realistically - how many computers running Reaper are out there where several users / user accounts use their installation of Reaper differently?

Then again, maybe this is just another preparation for the upcoming Unix version of Reaper, and the Unix way of doing things which, as I have to admit, is not so bad after all?

;-)

El-Rallef
El-Rallef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #16
Neve

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Rallef View Post

Then again, maybe this is just another preparation for the upcoming Unix version of Reaper, and the Unix way of doing things which, as I have to admit, is not so bad after all?

;-)

El-Rallef
There is already a Unix version of Reaper.
It's called Reaper OS X.
12-core MacPro-32Go , Logic 9.1.4, Reaper, DP 7.23, Reason 5. 3x FF800. Over 900 plugins. Tons of sound banks. Neve 24-track console, Studer 2" 24-Track, many mics. 60's Marshall & Fender amps. '50s Fender guitars, '60's Fender Basses, vintage pedals, etc...
Neve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #17
DarkStar

Quote:
  • On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP).
Looking in my Reaper program folder I also have folders named Data, Effects and Plugins. I can see that the last two should stay there but how about the Data folder?

As well as folders containing data files for JS FX, the Data folder here contains folders named track_icons, toolbar_icons and joystick_midi. I don't think that I put them there. Will they be moving too?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #18
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Looking in my Reaper program folder I also have folders named Data, Effects and Plugins. I can see that the last two should stay there but how about the Data folder?
Only "Install Folder" and "Plugins" need to stay in program folder.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
Dstruct

Quote:
Put REAPER.ini into program folder and it should work without appdata folders.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
Dstruct

Quote:
But, realistically - how many computers running Reaper are out there where several users / user accounts use their installation of Reaper differently?
For studios with many engineers this can be really useful. Each engineer gets his own Windows account and his personalized application settings.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I notice that with 3.45 rc1 the PDF files in the REAPER program directory are again not being picked up by the Help menu.

Is this intentional or a bug?
Ooops will fix this
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
+1, such an easy fix.
Quote:
+1000 ...makes my brain hurt...
I get why you want this, but changing the filename of the underlying icon themes would break existing color themes that use them, which people may have customized...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Same here - +1.

Theoretically, stuff that is user dependent should be kept in users' folders.

Also: on modern Windows versions, normal users can't normally write to application directories, so it makes sense to store user-edited content in the user's path.

Quote:
It is actually quite nice -- you have your REAPER installed to Program Files, knowing that everything in there can be represented by the installer you installed with, and all of your configuration/themes/custom data is in a path that can be backed up separately from the program.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
Airspeed

Justin, since you're doing some work with directories and folders is there any chance you could sneak in some code that allows us to alphabetize the "My Folders" area in the FX browser? A simple alphabetize folders option when you right click on "My Folders" would do the trick. Thanks in advance if you find the time to sneak this one in!

: )
Airspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
Dstruct

Quote:
I get why you want this, but changing the filename of the underlying icon themes would break existing color themes that use them, which people may have customized...
Why? I thought REAPER doesn't uninstall stuff that's already there on the harddisk!?

And even if it would break the existing user themes -> I guess they still could fix this in seconds by themselfes, not?

Last edited by Dstruct; 04-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
mrelwood

Dang! I was afraid that the board of directors would be reshuffled or something...

Good title otherwise!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #27
liteon

@darkstar:
in the unix fashion basically only the .exe + .dll + some text files should be left in the program folder and everything else moved to the user folder (including the documentation and all current subfolders effects, data, plugins)

important folders may also be linked-to in the start menu group in windows:
Code:
;nsis says hi
CreateShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\Reaper\ReaperUser.lnk" "$APPDATA\Reaper"
;k10xbye
and some scripted (ln -s) for other os

--
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #28
ugh

Quote:
I have a question concerning this new arrangement.
cheers

I second that.
I only have Windows on C:\
All programs are on totally different drives. Reaper is on drive L:\ in my case like all other music applications.
I backup the Reaper folder regularly and it's way easier if everything is kept in that folder that belongs to the program.
just my 2 cents.

*edit*
Ok I understand if I put the "Reaper.ini" in my Reaper folder than no stuff is put anywhere else. (Now I need to find out where Reaper.ini is located atm ... .g.)
Do I understand that correctly ?

Last edited by ugh; 04-23-2010 at 02:58 AM.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #29
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
I second that.
I only have Windows on C:\
All programs are on totally different drives. Reaper is on drive L:\ in my case like all other music applications.
I backup the Reaper folder regularly and it's way easier if everything is kept in that folder that belongs to the program.
just my 2 cents.

*edit*
Ok I understand if I put the "Reaper.ini" in my Reaper folder than no stuff is put anywhere else. (Now I need to find out where Reaper.ini is located atm ... .g.)
Do I understand that correctly ?
Just try it guys. Backup your appdata and program folder first and then simply test it ...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
ugh

Quote:
Just try it guys. Backup your appdata and program folder first and then simply test it ...
I did that, moved the REAPER.ini in the reaper folder.
result was that Reaper upon start wanted all my Antares plugins authorized again. They all start with A. I dunno what that was, I shut Reaper down, don't wanna go through that again with the authorization. And there are the plugins from B to Z still to come. I will just go with the "C:\" storage solution.

Just a little more time needed when I backup every once in a while.

I realise though I might be a minority, most people maybe don't care where a program stores the data

Can I delete the double folders without a risk ?
I realised I now have two folders full of color themes. One on C:\ and one on the original path.

Last edited by ugh; 04-25-2010 at 01:21 AM.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #31
mtsproductions

Quote:
On Windows: Color Themes, JS Effects, Key Maps, and Cursors now by default are stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER (Vista/7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER (XP
AppData folder is not there in my system ??? I am on win7 64 any ideas?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #32
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
Type %appdata% in a windows explorer or use the Option menu item in REAPER that automatically opens a window explorer in the app data folder.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #33
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
Can't speak for Win7 but if I remember correctly it's hidden by default on WinXP. (Can be changed somewhere in Windows options "show hidden files". Could this be the reason ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #34
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Type %appdata% in a windows explorer or use the Option menu item in REAPER that automatically opens a window explorer in the app data folder.

- Mario
thanks ill try that when i get home
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #35
aqashleyquin
Banned

Default virtual assistant

virtual assistant
aqashleyquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #36
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqashleyquin View Post
Options, Show REAPER resource path ... (and you can assign a shortcut to it).
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote