Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
CapitalC
Human being with feelings

I read this post last night, listened to the tune on youtube, and it BLEW ME AWAY.....seriously, it's REALLY good man! I love the tones, the arrangement, the minimal approach.....it's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do at home....and you've shown me it can be done.

So, I went down to Steve's Music in Toronto today and bought one.....FYI Torontonians, they have all of them on sale for $35 except the AC30 is $55.

Well I just did a quick few gtar tracks of a song and I LOVE this thing.....so simple....very versatile, everything from grunge to clean, and it really does sound great! I compared it to some takes of recording my amp (which is a colossal pain in my setup) and it's sounds as good!

My electric guitar recording issues are over! Thanks so much for posting this, and best of luck with your music career.

Ian
CapitalC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #42
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
...Excellent mood, great vocals and awesome guitar tone.

I think I am going to play the "it's in your fingers" card here though. Your finger picking is very controlled and you have a great feel for when to keep it soft and when to really pluck the strings. The amp doesn't hurt, I'm sure, but this sounds so good because of the player, not because of the gear...
This fits with my thinking. I think it's your special talent plus a good sounding reverb that are major factors.

But I'll probably get one anyway, having heard what's possible.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #43
Peter Sadul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalC View Post
I read this post last night, listened to the tune on youtube, and it BLEW ME AWAY.....seriously, it's REALLY good man! I love the tones, the arrangement, the minimal approach.....it's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do at home....and you've shown me it can be done.

So, I went down to Steve's Music in Toronto today and bought one.....FYI Torontonians, they have all of them on sale for $35 except the AC30 is $55.

Well I just did a quick few gtar tracks of a song and I LOVE this thing.....so simple....very versatile, everything from grunge to clean, and it really does sound great! I compared it to some takes of recording my amp (which is a colossal pain in my setup) and it's sounds as good!

My electric guitar recording issues are over! Thanks so much for posting this, and best of luck with your music career.

Ian
Thanks!

I´m really glad to hear that amplug strikes again! Strange that they charge more of a AC30 model. They must have seen my video! (just kidding!)

Peter

Last edited by Peter Sadul; 05-02-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
Peter Sadul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #44
d.bop

Just picked one up yesterday. I really like this thing!

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
junioreq

Man, I Think I'm grabbing one today at GC, I gotta try this thing!!! best part, zero percent cpu Been searching for a good Great White tone, this thing pulls it off easy! Now i'm stuck between Vox and classic rock lol

~Rob.

Last edited by junioreq; 05-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #46
RHGraham

funny you mention that, I just got done ( as in an hour ago) soldering up the switchbox for a friend/guitarist of mine who wants to put two amplugs on a little stand and switch between them.... and I let him walk out the door without taking a picture.... but anyway, yeah, he's switching between the AC30 and the Rock models, and the whole deal, cord, switch, "pedal board", di box, all fits in the little compartment in his guitar case.

pretty cool little set-up.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #47
junioreq

Man, thats insanely nuts. How do these things sound like. I mean straight up DI? Never know if they process them a bit on the vox site.

~Rob.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #48
Peter Sadul

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioreq View Post
Man, thats insanely nuts. How do these things sound like. I mean straight up DI? Never know if they process them a bit on the vox site.

~Rob.
Straight sound from DI is really good. Sometimes I boost really slightly high mids (round 2K-3K) or cut bass little, but the sound is really good. I throw in the reverb (in mixing stage) and it´s simple as that.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #49
CapitalC

so live, you just go into the PA? I would be scared to try that....What if it's a crap PA?

Or do you plug it into a speaker of some sort?

Also, with recording, do you use a DI, or just straight into the interface (and if I could bother you to name the interface, and DI if there is one, that would be cool too)

Ian
Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #50
PAPT

I liked the sound (Basically clean)in your video. Actually, I liked it a lot.

I didn't care much for the distorted sounds on the Yamaha demo page though.
I have freeware amp sims that sound much better.
Of course, that's not much help live, or at least it's somewhat unreliable.
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #51
RHGraham

Quote:
so live, you just go into the PA? I would be scared to try that....What if it's a crap PA?

Or do you plug it into a speaker of some sort?

Also, with recording, do you use a DI, or just straight into the interface (and if I could bother you to name the interface, and DI if there is one, that would be cool too)

Ian
Well yeah, PA is a consideration, but if all is well it gives the engineer a great signal to work with and all that's needed then is a good monitor, have the engineer add the fx and thats a good solid basic way to go.

My friend is sending a di signal to the engineer but using a fender hot rod deluxe on stage, but he plugs directly into the "power amp in" jack and bypasses the preamp, and fooling around with it here at my place, it sounded really, really good. He was formerly using a tonelab but was only using a couple of patches so wanted to condense the set-up.
Worked out great, his tone is just as good.
He uses a couple of pedals occasionally as well, but mostly just the amplugs.

Pretty neat set-up I thought, compact, good sound, and he can leave the amp at home for a lot of gigs too and just hauls his guitar case and he's got eveything he needs.

I'm a little jealous actually.
:0)
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #52
CapitalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHGraham View Post

I'm a little jealous actually.
So am I.....my amp is a pig!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #53
RHGraham

Quote:
So am I.....my amp is a pig!

I hauled around a twin, and a plexi with a 4X12 early on, over the years went through a lot of stuff and I got it down to a head with either a 1X12 or really compact 2X12, and it's *not bad*.... but the amplug thing sure gets a guy's attention when the back acts up, that's for sure.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #54
Diogenes

Aight... don't know how I missed this thread... but now I gotta try one of those things. AC-30's simply ROCK. My favorite patch on my POD XT LIve is an AC-30.

Watched the YouTube Peter. GREAT work man! Loved the whole piece. Very nice.

D - off to locate an Amplug...
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #55
Omni

wow these sound pretty amazing lol. The bass guitar ones sound awesome. I may have to pick a few up.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #56
Panic

Thanks for the heads-up on this Peter. I picked one up last night and, so far, I like it.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #57
CaptainWigster

Peter, really great tunes! Excellent sound, performance and production.

Don't want to side track the thread, but I'm wondering. Is the percussion on "Under Control" live tracked intruments?
CaptainWigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #58
Peter Sadul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWigster View Post
Peter, really great tunes! Excellent sound, performance and production.

Don't want to side track the thread, but I'm wondering. Is the percussion on "Under Control" live tracked intruments?
Thanks!

On "under control". Conga-track is just a simple loop made with Reason redrum. I don´t have congas so I have to "manage" with a sampler on that department. Everything else is live (bongos, shakers, tambourine, finger snaps etc). Drums are recorded "live" with a click-track.

Last edited by Peter Sadul; 05-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #59
CaptainWigster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sadul View Post
Thanks!

On "under control". Conga-track is just a simple loop made with Reason redrum. I don´t have congas so I have to "manage" with a sampler on that department. Everything else is live (bongos, shakers, tambourine, finger snaps etc). Drums are recorded "live" with a click-track.
Makes sense, and sounds great. Congas are so tough to get realistic, excellent use and mixing there.

and to steer it back on track...

Thanks for the amplug recommendation. It's nice that you've provided samples and talked about your live use of this.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #60
plgrmsprgrs

Are you plugging these into a pre? Or directly into the soundcard?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #61
Peter Sadul

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
Are you plugging these into a pre? Or directly into the soundcard?
My signal chain is really simple. Amplug to DI. Then signal straight to Alesis multimix16 firewire mixer. That thing is just a basic analog mixer wirh firewire ins(16) & outs(2). Good thing about that mixer is that it has really great digital effects. I get a good reverb for performing, but I can record the signal dry without reverb. No latency issues or something like that.

Peter
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #62
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sadul View Post
My signal chain is really simple. Amplug to DI. Then signal straight to Alesis multimix16 firewire mixer.
Have you tried going straight from the Amplug into a line in on your mixer? You shouldn't need a DI on a headphone output, should you? Or, are the impedances similar?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #63
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
Have you tried going straight from the Amplug into a line in on your mixer? You shouldn't need a DI on a headphone output, should you? Or, are the impedances similar?
Not meaning to answer for Peter here but that is exactly what I'm doing in my studio.... amplug headphone out straight into mixer line input and it sounds great.
Impedance mismatches are not really an issue when going from a low impedance headphone output into a modern high impedance line input.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #64
RHGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Not meaning to answer for Peter here but that is exactly what I'm doing in my studio.... amplug headphone out straight into mixer line input and it sounds great.
Impedance mismatches are not really an issue when going from a low impedance headphone output into a modern high impedance line input.
Yeah, the guitar to amplug match is fine, and amplug output is line, so no issues.
Only issues there is going direct from guitar to mixer or interface, often the impedance match isn't very good.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #65
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHGraham View Post
...Only issues there is going direct from guitar to mixer or interface, often the impedance match isn't very good.
Yeah. Guitar electronics and pickup tone tends to be very sensitive to loading and can be a big part of how a guitar interacts with a given amplifier in creating a certain 'sound'.
In short, guitar electronics like to be loaded somewhat and most DI's and desks have high impedance inputs that don't load the electronics at all. The 'ring' and 'bite' from a Strat for example is somewhat due to the resonances and ringing created by loading the pickup coils and this is lost with high impedance inputs.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #66
Peter Sadul

Good guestion about the DI. I don´t know why I use it when recording. I guess it´s because on stage it´s good to have there. Ground-switch is a lifesaver sometimes. Groundhums can occur if I use Amplug with stompboxes. I simply use the same setup in recordings as on stage.

I´m not an "electronics wizard" as you can see Thanks for the info folks!

Peter
Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #67
RHGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Yeah. Guitar electronics and pickup tone tends to be very sensitive to loading and can be a big part of how a guitar interacts with a given amplifier in creating a certain 'sound'.
In short, guitar electronics like to be loaded somewhat and most DI's and desks have high impedance inputs that don't load the electronics at all. The 'ring' and 'bite' from a Strat for example is somewhat due to the resonances and ringing created by loading the pickup coils and this is lost with high impedance inputs.
It's often the "missing element" when folks try to get good guitar sounds through the interface or mixer using amp sims, a DI will resolve that in any case.

Amplug makes it ultimately simple though. Just plug in. Gotta love it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #68
RRokkenAudio

Anyone tried some pedals BEFORE the amplug?

~Rob.
RRokkenAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #69
JS1000

Forgive my ignorance but I am a bit confused. How does one connect from the amplug to record. In my case, I have a Fast track Ultra 8R. Do I use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?
I was at guitar center yesterday and they were being unhelpful (or clueless...)
Thanks.
JS1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #70
CapitalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1000 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I am a bit confused. How does one connect from the amplug to record. In my case, I have a Fast track Ultra 8R. Do I use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?
I was at guitar center yesterday and they were being unhelpful (or clueless...)
Thanks.
yup, just plug your guitar cable into a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, doesn't matter if it's stereo or not, so a headphone adapter works fine for me.

For $50 bucks or so, you van get some pretty decent tones, and it's good to practice with.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #71
RRokkenAudio

Here's something I did real quick on phones soo don't expect much lol.. Just the amplug right out of the guitar... I still need to play with it to get a more middy, tighter tone out of it:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/456237/amplug4.mp3

BTW: I just bought a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter cost me like $7.00 I'm not too pleased with the sound direct out, its Almost there though!!! But I'll play with the fx and things to see if i can get it to be a bit more PUNCHY... AC30 BTW

~Rob.

Last edited by RRokkenAudio; 01-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.
RRokkenAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #72
eric90000

great song man, really reminds me of tom waits. nice one.
eric90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #73
bls

dude, you're a badass. thanks for sharing.

That was a great idea for the video too. It reminds me of that Cramps record where their photo inside made them look like ghosts.

thanks again.
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #74
bls

got mine. really worth the $30. Now, if I can find someone to drive me around, I can rock it in the car!
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #75
Tedwood

I'm an AC30 nut, I was looking at these yesterday and thinking I've got to get one without even hearing them. Now I've demos of the AC30 (nice) and the Classic (also nice)

Bugger - that means I may have to buy both. I wonder how hot the AC30 goes and how clean the Classic goes?

Okay, sussed, I'm getting the AC30 - can 't wait to hear it through my 800 watt JBL PA

Last edited by Tedwood; 01-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #76
djz

thanks for the tip! this is exactly what I've been looking for!
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #77
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Hi Guys I have a Brand New VOX "Classic Rock" version for sale if anyone's interested....just bought it and not gonna be able to use it....
I'd take you up on that offer if I was in the UK. Postage from there to Australia would probably make it cheaper to buy one here though.

I'm considering making a small rig with the AC30, Lead and a Classic Rock Amplugs which would provide signal switching and power for all three. I have the AC30 and the Lead ones but have yet to buy a Classic Rock one.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #78
gavriloP

Thanks for the suggestion! I bought AC30 amplug and it was money really well spent. I have adapter that splits miniplug to two normal female plugs and it works nicely. Amplug also made my cheapo Danelectro FAB overdrive much better than it was with real amp. Don't know what it is but they just work nicely together. But I have to say that my BigMuff didn't sound so good with Amplug, don't know why... oh and naturally I used those pedals before amplug, like with "real thing".

I also got Neutrik male-male plug adaptor http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/2...JJ_detail.aspx and now I can connect HiZ mic to Amplug. It works well with bluesharp and I can do gritty amped vocals too. Good stuff.

And sound works well after cab impulses too if that is preferred. I am actually tempted to buy that bass amp version too...
gavriloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #79
Peter Sadul

I see that this thread is back!

I have one question. Has anyone tried the new Satriani Amplug?

I record local metalbands sometimes. I need the money. It could be really cool for that. I would record their amp-sound with 57/condencer, but I would record direct signal also for reamping. Amplug mayhem added later in the mix... Satriani model sounds really good in some youtube videos. Even bad players sound decent...

Peter

Last edited by Peter Sadul; 01-28-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #80
PAPT

I heard it on a youtube video and thought it wasn't as good as the others.
The Lead and Metal versions sound good.
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote