Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Bosjanet
Human being with feelings

Default 2nd Fast Track Ultra 8R

At the moment, I have 1 M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R. Last night, I made an aggregated device with my built-in soundcard, and it worked really well. Now I'm thinking about buying a second Fast Track Ultra 8R. Could the M-Audio driver not work well (because 2 devices are connected), or should they work (since I am able to make an aggregated device)?

Not really Reaper-related, but on the M-Audio forum, they answered "it won't work" to "can you make an aggregated device with the Fast Track Ultra 8R" ...
Bosjanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
benebomber

Well, since the aggregate device is a thing which is working from within the os, I could imagine that latencies would increase compared to single use. But that's just my personal opinion, nothing that I tested.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Bosjanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebomber View Post
Well, since the aggregate device is a thing which is working from within the os, I could imagine that latencies would increase compared to single use. But that's just my personal opinion, nothing that I tested.
Even if the latency would double, that would still be OK, still low enough
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
benebomber

So why do you hesitate?

I personally haven't heard of any interface which isn't working as an aggregate device. You could test by building such a device with your 1st Fast Track and e.g. the internal soundcard, soundflower or something like that. If it works fine, it'll most likely work with 2 Fast Tracks.

another thought:
Some drivers are equipped with a function to daisy-chain more than one device together which would avoid the OS X aggregate device, though I'm not sure if it works with USB-devices. But maybe you can check in the specsheet? Could give better performance, maybe.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Bosjanet

Quote:
So why do you hesitate?

I personally haven't heard of any interface which isn't working as an aggregate device. You could test by building such a device with your 1st Fast Track and e.g. the internal soundcard, soundflower or something like that. If it works fine, it'll most likely work with 2 Fast Tracks.
The Tascam US-122L/MKII, US-144 (MKII) and US-1641 don't work as an aggregated device. You can't even add them, the Tascam drivers don't support it.

And yes, I've been able to use the Fast Track Ultra 8R in an aggregated device. I recorded using both the internal microphone and the Fast Track Ultra 8R.
Quote:
another thought:
Some drivers are equipped with a function to daisy-chain more than one device together which would avoid the OS X aggregate device, though I'm not sure if it works with USB-devices. But maybe you can check in the specsheet? Could give better performance, maybe.
The M-Audio drivers do not support daisy chaining.