Old 09-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
timandmonica
Human being with feelings

Default How To Make Impulses using ReaVerb

I own a Focusrite LiquidMix and am trying to send my friend some of the Manley EQ settings via IR. Since he and I use Reaper I was hoping it would be straight-forward to use ReaVerb to 'sample' the Manley on the LiquidMix via convolution.

The existing posts on this forum about the matter are no help so I guess I am reviving the question - how do you make an impulse using Reaverb? There is even nothing in the official manual on creating impulses, only using them.

If anyone knows a better place to look for info on this please let me know. I would like to use ReaVerb since it is free with Reaper and me and my friend both have it but if their is a simpler free tool please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!
timandmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
ChetStrzepa

I just gave this a shot for the first time and it seemed to work, try these steps:

Open Reaverb, click Add, select "file".

If you're prompted to add a file from a folder, just click cancel. You should now see that "file" has been added under the Impulse Generation section, and there are two buttons to the bottom right under the title "Impulse generation utilities".

Click the "generate test tone button". You can select few options such as the file length. Then save the file somewhere. It will be a sine sweep.

To make an impulse of my studio's reverb, I imported the test tone into a reaper file, played it back, and recorded it at my listening position on a new track. I then rendered the response file to a folder as a wave file.

In your case, You will have to play the test tone you created through your device and record the output as a wave file.

Now go to Reaverb, click the "deconvolve" button. Select the file you just recorded (i.e. the recording of your test tone played through the device), then click "open".

Now it will prompt you to select the test tone file you used. Select that file and click "open". You will be prompted to name the impulse file that you create and save it somewhere.
ChetStrzepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
timandmonica

Sorry ChetStrzepa, I should have thanked you for your response sooner. I tried your method and it worked fine for reverb, but I am trying to work with compressors. I know it can be done because there are tons of compressor convolution impulses around - I just don't know how to make one myself!

I did the same process as outlined above with very extreme compression settings, just to make sure I could tell the difference, and it didn't work.
If anyone has any hints for how to create an impulse file for a compressor, please pitch in now! I love having my Liquid Mix but I want to be able to share these high-end compressors with my friend - and whoever follows this thread as well :*)

Thanks
timandmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
DuraMorte

I may be mistaken, but based on my knowledge of the IR convolution/deconvolution process, it is impossible to get an IR of a compressor, because they are time- and amplitude-based.

HOWEVER, you CAN make an IR of a compressor's noise, which some believe is part of what makes a compressor 'musical'.

If I'm wrong, someone please step in and correct me.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Analogy

Impulses only work for linear systems - systems where dynamics aren't affected. I have no idea if there is any actual way of measuring the response of a compresser, but I doubt that there is.
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
fonxtal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogy View Post
Impulses only work for linear systems - systems where dynamics aren't affected. I have no idea if there is any actual way of measuring the response of a compresser, but I doubt that there is.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....d=5&Itemid=137

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....=43&Itemid=144
DESCRIPTION: VST Plug-in based on Volterra Kernels Series. It emulates different types of vintage gear: equalizers, filters, microphones, preamps, compressors, reverb and generic time-variant processors (chorus, flangers, phasers)
fonxtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
bozmillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandmonica View Post
Sorry ChetStrzepa, I should have thanked you for your response sooner. I tried your method and it worked fine for reverb, but I am trying to work with compressors. I know it can be done because there are tons of compressor convolution impulses around - I just don't know how to make one myself!

I did the same process as outlined above with very extreme compression settings, just to make sure I could tell the difference, and it didn't work.
If anyone has any hints for how to create an impulse file for a compressor, please pitch in now! I love having my Liquid Mix but I want to be able to share these high-end compressors with my friend - and whoever follows this thread as well :*)

Thanks
won't work with compression. As said above, it will only work with linear processes like reverb and eq.

The software from the post above seems interesting, but it is doing far more than getting an impulse response.
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote