Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
plamuk
Human being with feelings

Default [audio device closed], cannot select ANY device

hi, i woke up this saturday morning ready to work on some music...rolled over, hit the power switches on my daw, and reaper started only to show [audio device closed] on the top right below the X...

clicked on it to get to Audio Device Settings and everything looks fine there...ASIO, M-Audio Delta ASIO...inputs/outputs look fine...however, PLAY button is unresponsive, and all the inputs do not look right on TCP (says "input 11" instead of what it should say from my aliased Delta66 inputs.

closed reaper and opened foobar with an mp3. played it - sounded great. verified that foobar was in fact sending the mp3 thru the delta...check. it was.

the ONLY thing i can think of that might have influenced this problem is that last time i was working on this machine, i A, changed the DMA buffer size in both my M-Audio Delta Control Panels from 1024 to 128 and B, installed the newest reaper. HOWEVER, after doing both of the above, i was able to have a productive session - until now.

please, help. saturdays are rare and precious. i don't want any time wasted.

thanks for any attention
nym

Last edited by plamuk; 11-21-2010 at 11:39 AM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
plamuk

mods, please move this if it's in the wrong forum

i'm stumped and badly wanted to work today
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
DarkStar

Rename your reaper.ini file, then try starting Reaper and letting it recreate a new one.

You should be able to get to the containing folder from [Options] > select "Show Reaper resource path in Explorer/ Finder"
Old 11-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Mr. Data

Maybe it helps, to increase the buffer size again.

-Data
Old 11-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
plamuk

hey, thank you for your suggestions.

i'd already tried returning to a DMA buffer size of 1024 to no success.
i also tried renaming the reaper.ini file at your suggestion, darkstar, but again, nothing.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Is your MS GS Wavetable Yada Synth enabled as output in Options->Preferences->Audio->MIDI Devices by chance? Disable it (again).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
plamuk

it is in fact disabled.

edit: downgrading to reaper 3.68 did not solve this problem...
installing reaper fresh into a new directory also didn't work.

Last edited by plamuk; 11-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
plamuk

my M-AUDIO delta 66 panel mixer shows that the sound card is in fact online and receiving audio...plugged a mic into it and it showed levels...
it simply won't communicate with reaper at all.

edit: upon opening reaper, no message reading "error initializing ASIO driver" is posted, which i've seen happen before (like on my laptop, if i open reaper w/ my quattro not plugged in

raining here on saturday night in san francisco, huge thunder and hail, even...would be a good time to unplug the whole machine...but i want to figure this out.

considering backing up/deleting my whole reaper application data folder. something is effed up somehow.

Last edited by plamuk; 11-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
brainwreck

do you have any other asio supported audio apps that you can try with your delta? i'm wondering if it's a problem with the driver some how getting hosed, or a problem with reaper.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
plamuk

i have minihost...hang on...
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
plamuk

ok, so Minihost w/ maudio asio out works fine.
this narrows it down to reaper for sure.
backing up the appdata so i can then delete it and have reaper generate it from scratch...

...nothing. damn! this is crazy.

edit - i can't open ANY of my "audio systems." it just says "audio devices closed" no matter what i do.

Last edited by plamuk; 11-20-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
brainwreck

that sucks. be careful to get everything needed when backing up. good luck with it.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
that sucks. be careful to get everything needed when backing up. good luck with it.

thanks. no luck, audio device still closed
Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
dub3000

is it possible you've installed something else that is trying to grab the sound card? or possibly the browser has something open that's preventing reaper from getting audio in?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
plamuk

good guess, but no - no browser is installed on the DAW computer (this is my laptop, my daw is on a desktop) and the only thing i've installed recently is an updated Poise and reaper 3.73...

also, when something else is stealing asio, reaper usually gives me that "Asio error" message. in my case, reaper opens just fine - but "audio device closed."
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
brainwreck

i have no idea what it could be. out of desperation, if it were me, i would try reinstalling the asio driver, even though i knew that it was working fine in another app.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
plamuk

will do. thanks for your consideration.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
plamuk

unin/reinstalled my drivers...updated them, even
returned reaper back to its factory defaults...nothing.
nothing, nothing. reaper sees the m-audio delta in its audio devices OPTIONS, it even sees all of the possible outputs - but upon closing preferences, stil "audio device closed."

i even turned off the machine, opened it up, took out the delta cards and put them back in

gah

Last edited by plamuk; 11-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
unin/reinstalled my drivers...updated them, even
returned reaper back to its factory defaults...nothing.
nothing, nothing. reaper sees the m-audio delta in its audio devices OPTIONS, it even sees all of the possible outputs - but upon closing preferences, stil "audio device closed."

i even turned off the machine, opened it up, took out the delta cards and put them back in

gah
the only other thing i can think to do is to go back to a previous version of reaper. you said that you had no problem before 3.73.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
hopi

go to device manager and disable your onboard audio device... like Sound Max or whatever it is...

shut down the pc

pull out the 66 card... get the m-audio drivers online and install again... it will ask to uninstall first ... do that and reboot...

install the drivers and reboot again...

Only then install the card [NOT BEFORE]

reboot after the card is in...

I have seen this before with m-audio pci stuff.. I have 3 of them, ....2 66's and a 1010

can't say why it happens but it happens now and then... and it sux.

but normally, when they are in OK, they stay OK for long times.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
plamuk

that sounds like a plan. i will try that.
yeah man til today, my 66's have been the single most reliable pieces of equipment i've owned, bar none. i sure would like to keep using them.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
hopi

do come back and tell the tales....

they ARE very reliable, but like I say, I have seen the rare odd thing happen with them and don't know why.... but like you have reported, the control panel will look 'OK' but it will not function as it should inside DAW's....

reaper is very good about picking up whatever audio device it finds in the system...

Most likely you do have something like a sound max or realtec in there on your mobo... while you have the 66 out and the drivers uninstalled, you might just for fun install ASIO4ALL and bring reaper up and see if it sees that.... IF it don't, then there clearly is some problem with the reaper install... but it's really the last placed I'd suspect.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #23
plamuk

good call on asio4all. will try that right now.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
plamuk

no luck. same problem. i can't even hit play, nothing happens. tomorrow i will perform the sequence you gave me a couple of posts ago and hope for the best.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #25
plamuk

dammit.

Quote:
go to device manager and disable your onboard audio device... like Sound Max or whatever it is...

shut down the pc

pull out the 66 card... get the m-audio drivers online and install again... it will ask to uninstall first ... do that and reboot...

install the drivers and reboot again...

Only then install the card [NOT BEFORE]

reboot after the card is in...
followed these instructions.
nothing

i officially need service. the problem is unquestionably reaper, as A, other audio apps play from/to the delta66 with no trouble, and B, the delta mixer shows levels when i plug a mic into one of the inputs.

please help.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
plamuk

bump.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #27
Ollie

Does Poise have some standalone capability? If so, did you try uninstalling it?

You say REAPER can't access any of your audio hardware anymore, even though it seems to be only REAPER for now, this still points a lot to a 'device hogging' or other problem on the OS side. I can't think of anything in REAPER that could cause this except the MS Wavetable thingie and that's already disabled, so it must be something else. Resetting reaper.ini would've taken care of any wrong setting, too.

Edit: Maybe some extra-weird access permission thing going on?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #28
plamuk

thanks for the response, ollie.

poise does not have a standalone capability, no.
if there is a device hog going on, wouldn't that preclude the possibility of another ASIO app (like Minihost) playing audio?

i'm going to uninstall poise and see if that does anything, though the same version of poise is running with the same version of reaper on my laptop and it works fine...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #29
karbomusic

Longshot....

What if you log into the machine as a different user just for kicks?

Karbo
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
plamuk

uninstalled poise: "audio device closed."
created/logged in as a new user: "audio device closed."

opened minihost again with superwave p8: set Delta66 asio, played perfectly.

wtf...my dreams are haunted by "audio device closed."
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
plamuk

bump...sorry...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
bump...sorry...
Sorry, don't have time to review to see which you have/haven't tried... So, since we're down to nothing... Let's review a couple of the no brainers just in case..

Did you use the reaper shortcut to open with default settings instead of just renaming the ini?

Did you uninstall reaper, then after backing them up, remove all settings etc related to reaper from other directories such as My Documents and especially everything in the %appdata% folder under the reaper folder? Also, remove the install folder from program files.

Do you have more than one sound card and does anything happen when switching between the two in reaper. Does the other sound card work in reaper.

Is there some old previous backup of reaper.ini from before the issue.

What if you install it to a USB stick and run it from there to help bypass some of the installed settings, same issue?

Load reaper bypassing all VSTs of any kind?

You mentioned it showed output or input "11" in the device options... How does the driver appear in the .ini file?

We could go further such as procexp.exe by sysinternals to see what if anything in the OS has an open handle to the delta, close that handle if there is one then retry reaper but its a little more involved and chancy.

All I can think of for now and sorry if they are all old news.

Karbo
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
plamuk

karbo. thank you. i am at work right now but i will check these things when i get home. i'm subbing for the 6th grade til thanksgiving vacation and it's a half day, so i'll be home in no time.

i'm sure that this is a "no brainer" solution and that i'll learn something from the error, but anyone who's ever had a computer issue can identify...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
karbo. thank you. i am at work right now but i will check these things when i get home. i'm subbing for the 6th grade til thanksgiving vacation and it's a half day, so i'll be home in no time.

i'm sure that this is a "no brainer" solution and that i'll learn something from the error, but anyone who's ever had a computer issue can identify...
Im outta ideas so those are just the possible items I could think of. Maybe one of them will at least yield some clues. I'll also get you the instructions to check for open handles to the device but it will be later before I can sit down and see if it is worthwhile.

Best of luck!

Karbo
Old 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #35
plamuk

Quote:
Did you use the reaper shortcut to open with default settings instead of just renaming the ini?
by now, i've done both.

Quote:
Did you uninstall reaper, then after backing them up, remove all settings etc related to reaper from other directories such as My Documents and especially everything in the %sappdata% folder under the reaper folder? Also, remove the install folder from program files.
i did this just now. copied the /Reaper/ folder to somewhere else, deleted REAPER's appdata folder, and then installed 3.74 from a thumbdrive. i then navigated to the new reaper install in program files and opened reaper. as proof of deletion, reaper appeared unlicensed - while my main install of reaper is, of course, registered. "audio device closed."

Quote:
Do you have more than one sound card and does anything happen when switching between the two in reaper. Does the other sound card work in reaper.
Asus P5K WS Realtek ALC888. i never even installed the driver for it. for kicks, i am dropping its drivers down to flashdrive to test. (edit, YOW - 8 kb download speed from softpedia. i guess i'll come back to that)

Quote:
Is there some old previous backup of reaper.ini from before the issue.
no, sadly.

Quote:
load reaper bypassing vsts of all kind
reaper opens empty by default here.

Quote:
What if you install it to a USB stick and run it from there to help bypass some of the installed settings, same issue?
used a neutral computer to install reaper to a usb stick, confirmed that it was working on said neutral computer, and then brought the usb stick to this donkey. ran reaper from the usb stick and..."audio device closed."

Quote:
procexp
i use this. would love if it could help figure it out.

thanks for everything so far.

oh, and also - i have made sure to uncheck everything related to "close audio device" in audio settings..
Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
plamuk

also, might as well post this - my system clock's hour doesn't stay accurately set. probably unrelated. the battery shouldn't be dead, i built this machine in 2008
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Ollie

Any unrecognized/non-functional/exclamation-marked entries in Device Manager? What's your OS? Automatic updates on? What happens when you disable the onboard chip in the BIOS?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #38
plamuk

thanks, ollie. feed the monster.

Quote:
Any unrecognized/non-functional/exclamation-marked entries in Device Manager?
yes, actually - for the last month or two i've had my midi keyboard powered by USB, without the drivers installed, sending midi over a cable instead of usb.

i've disconnected this keyboard (m-audio radium) to try it without.

Quote:
What's your OS? Automatic updates on?
duxpsp3a0, no automatic updates. daw is offline, all software is carried back and forth via usb stick.

Quote:
what happens when you disable the onboard chip in the BIOS?
i don't know. will try this next. surprising if it somehow sprung to life, though, and singled out Reaper as the only program to eff with.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #39
plamuk

installed drivers for realtek - confirmed that they were working in foobar
attempted to use the realtek soundcard in reaper via directsound and also ASIO4all - "audio device closed."
just for kicks, i ran Minihost using asio4all and the realtek - it worked.

now i will try disabling this card again...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #40
plamuk

disabled in bios. still "audio device closed."

there is a driverless item called "unknown" in my devices manger
i don't remember it being there before. disabled it. i have no idea what it might be.

Last edited by plamuk; 11-22-2010 at 04:46 PM.