Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default V4 - WALTERised - Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz theme

Beta 9 - 27th April 2011

+ New MCP Master channel layout design (improves use of available space).
+ Improved MCP Volume and Pan label integration with dedicated label png's.
...To do - Dual panner graphics don't display correctly in this theme yet.

Beta 8 - Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz REAPER V4 theme - 20th February 2011

+ New 'Wide Master' option added to MCP Master channel widens master meters allowing more room for surround display (selectable via layout options)

Beta 7 - Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz REAPER V4 theme - 17th February 2011

+ Redesigned master meter graphics (MAJOR task!!) for K-12, K-14, K-20 and uncalibrated display
+ Duplicated themes for the above calibration standards (Devs, can we please have the option of using mcp_master_vu.png's in layout custom image folders so theme duplication isn't necessary?)
+ Added installation and calibration instructions (included in this download)
+ Added K-System calibration REAPER project to this download (includes calibrated pink noise file)
- Transport: Show/hide play rate control options removed from layouts
+ Transport: Show/hide play rate control option activated in REAPER transport right click context menu
+ Transport: Show/hide time signature option activated in REAPER transport right click context menu
+ Transport: Center transport controls option right click context menu positions transport status text
+ Redesigned transport layout to resize when undocked and showing or hiding play rate control (click right edge of transport window if resize doesn't activate automatically - Possible WALTER bug?)

-------->>>> Theme download can be found HERE <<<<--------

As mentioned in my original REAPER 3 version of this theme, here's the two consoles that inspired this design.....

Neve Genesys and Calrec Omega

Change log

Beta 6 - Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz REAPER V4 theme - 15th February 2011

+ Redesigned MCP layout
+ Pan and Volume labels added to MCP layouts
+ Width control, narrow view and narrow view with width control MCP layouts added
+ Changed font style and size on all theme areas (fonts included in download)
+ Better show/hide behaviour on MCP buttons when resized
+ TCP Master track layout redesigned
+ MCP Master track layout redesigned
+ Transport docked/undocked layouts improved
+ Transport show/hide play rate slider options added to layouts
+ Cockos/JS plugin sliders added (they now match the rest of the theme)

Beta 4 Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz theme - 31st January 2011

+ New colour scheme for highlighted tracks
+ Altered MCP label highlighted colour display for better compatibility with bright colours
+ Renamed 'Narrow Channel Strip' to 'Narrow' in MCP layout menu (addresses Bevosss's request to switch between this and Janne's Night Universe theme and maintain narrow MCP layout)
+ Fixed size and position of mcp_namebg.png (was too wide and one pixel too high)

Beta 3 Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz theme - 29th January 2011

+ Better TCP resizing behaviour and positioning of TCP labels
+ TCP and MCP label colour changed for better custom colour text visibility
+ EnvCP layout changed for consistency with TCP layout
+ MCP pan control background darkened to match new MCP labels
+ EnvCP fader and knob colour changed to match new colour scheme

Beta 2 Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz theme - 26th January 2011

+ Narrow MCP channel strip layout option
+ Narrow and wide vertical TCP meter layout options
+ Horizontal TCP meter layout option
+ TCP pan and volume knob colour change (from yellow with black pointer to grey with yellow pointer)
+ Hide TCP record monitor, input mode and input FX buttons when not record enabled
+ Better show/hide behaviour for TCP buttons on TCP resize
+ Transport undocked layout option

Beta 1 Neve, Calrec, Bob Katz theme - 20th January 2011 - First release

Last edited by Dannii; 04-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Kundalinguist

It looks great, Danni. Like Disneyland on acid.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Dannii

LOL Roland!!! ....and cheers.

Any feedback on what people like/dislike is welcome here. I'm considering making a version of this with a different colour scheme for the MCP panners and width controls. I'm undecided whether or not the orange and yellow suits the polished metal scheme. This was, of course, inspired by the Calrec Omega desk but I'm pondering toning it down a bit.

At present, the width of the TCP pan and volume knob pointers doesn't appear to be tweakable so I'm hoping the Cockos team address this during the alpha stage. IMHO, the pointer is too thin and too hard to see. If I could make it thicker, I'd change the knob design to match the FX parameter knobs.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
teejb43

Wow, that's just wild. Eye candy for REAPER geeks!
teejb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
synth

Disco lights, funky design and lots of 'macaroni & cheese'

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 12-30-2010 at 10:18 PM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Dannii

Cheers guys

I'll upload the theme files and a blank template project later on when I'm at my PC.
I just updated my first post with an image of the two consoles that inspired this theme. It is actually closer to the original concept I had when I made this for REAPER 3 now that I have WALTER to play with.
One thing I would love to figure out, if possible, is putting the meter bridge above the inserts and sends just like a hardware console. I'm not sure if I can get WALTER to do that reliably yet though. I did figure out a hack to make it work but it will only work for one size. As soon as anything is stretched or shrunk, it goes all pear shaped. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Dannii

I did a few minor tweaks today, mainly fixing the width, justification and margins of the text on some of the labels (tcp, mcp and mcp_master) to make them fit the slightly resized graphics better.

The screen shot in my first post looks quite busy. The project I used for it was designed to show as many elements of the theme as possible and, in most typical projects, the theme looks far less 'in your face'.

Here's a screen grab of a blank project template for comparison....

Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Janne83

It looks very nice
Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Dannii

Cheers Janne

I just updated my first post with a screen cap of a new 'lights dimmed' version of this theme I'm working on.
For ease of reference, here's the screen cap again....

Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
airon

Interesting placement of the MCP meters. I'm looking forward to trying such a layout, especially with a nice and easy to spot side-by-side of faders.

Handy pause location on the transport too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Dannii

Cheers airon.
My aim here has been to keep the channel strips as clean as possible visually around the faders. I like to be able to get a clear visual of my gain staging and having meters and buttons all around the faders was a distraction for me.
I would ideally like to put the meters above the inserts and sends but I haven't figured out how to do this reliably with WALTER for all screen sizes yet. The meters do work well for me where they are now though and my aim here is to make this theme work primarily for my workflow (it is my default REAPER theme) and if anyone else has a similar workflow, they can use it too.
I work primarily with a combined mindset of analog tape/automated consoles and non linear editing. Therefore, a DAW for me needs to be good at both and have a feel that satisfies this preference and REAPER does this well, particularly now that WALTER has opened up all these new tweakabilities.

I'll most likely upload the theme here to this topic tomorrow and keep it updated as I make changes. Keep in mind that the alpha cycle and developer changes could break things but if anyone wants to take this themeing journey with me, I'm happy to share.
Also keep in mind that due to the experimental nature of some of my tweaking, this theme may look and function unexpectedly on some configurations and alpha builds.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
jmcecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
.. clear visual of my gain staging ...
Not to digress too much ... you used the term "gain staging" and it kind of struck a nerve. I know that you have at least attempted to implement the K system on your master. But, gain staging assumes some sort of identifiable system along the channels.

As far as I can tell, the track meters are just fancy activity lights with a digital clip indicator. The faders are doing range from -1 to 1 (I don't know that, but that's what it seems like). There is no real gain law in play that I can figure out.

It's one of the things I have the hardest time with using Reaper. So, my question is, have you got some other method of gain staging, or are just using a plumbers guess on the tracks?
jmcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Dannii

I use the term gain staging quite loosely here more as a reference to my technique when using hardware consoles. I do have my fader curves and metering dB settings all customized to match my workflow, hardware and K System calibration though so there is certainly some scientific reference here.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
andytf

I can't see the images... I'm so curious...
andytf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
jmcecil

Quote:
I use the term gain staging quite loosely here more as a reference to my technique when using hardware consoles. I do have my fader curves and metering dB settings all customized to match my workflow, hardware and K System calibration though so there is certainly some scientific reference here.
fair enough.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytf View Post
I can't see the images... I'm so curious...
Can you see other images from Stashbox? I think I recall something about them blocking Brazil a while ago. Don't know the details though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
fair enough.
It's good to see another who recognizes the importance of these things.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
jmcecil

Quote:
It's good to see another who recognizes the importance of these things.
We kind of have 3 threads where bits and pieces of this are in general discussion. I'm an old guy who records mostly live acoustic instruments, but play around a great deal with internal VSTi just for fun.

There is a distinct difference between my "old guy using an analog desk" knowledge for mixing external instruments and the "new school VSTi" world. Regardless, if I'm mixing an internal or external orchestra, I want to know what -14, -20 and -30 db is on every track all the time. I want the track level to have a relationship with the resulting master level that is easily identifiable to a standard, not a change from .0035 to .0041.

My daughter won't care about this crap in 20 years. She'll just push the knob. But, I still care now.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
Dannii

A HUGE +1 to everything JM. I come from a background in analog too and have qualifications and experience in electronic design and construction. I've designed and built lots of live and studio gear over the last 25 years so my understanding of gain staging goes back to console and preamp design too. The DAW world, while having a number of similarities here also has some vast differences and many who've only ever mixed ITB have no experience with the importance of 'getting it right' from mic to monitors (or pa stacks in live scenarios).
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
Dannii

I did a bunch more minor tweaks to the tcp layout today but am posting this from my iPhone so the screen grabs will have to wait till later.
I moved the rec enable button up next to the mute and solo buttons and rearranged the folder and folder collapse icons so they don't hide the track ID labels.
I'm still aiming for the minimalist approach to the tcp, preferring to use the mcp for the bulk of my actual mixing work.

One thing I want to figure out next is how to get WALTER to tell the layout not to shift when folder indents are set to greater than zero.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Juca

Dannii:
Sorry, but for us, brazilian users, this stashbox adress (http://stashbox.org) generate an 403 error (prohibited access).
The only stash adress we can access is https://stash.reaper.fm/, so if you can upload this theme in it we´ll can test it and make any suggestions.
And congrats for your efforts in provide a new theme for REAPER.
Greetings.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
Dannii

Just a quick update to let everyone know I have set up a new section on my website specifically for downloads and I have uploaded the first betas of my V4 Walterised version of this theme.

See my first post in this thread for details.

Last edited by Dannii; 01-25-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
Dannii

Beta 2 of this theme is now uploaded. See my first post in this topic for details, screenshots and download URL.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
Kundalinguist

I found a bug. As soon as it opens there is a loud burst of audio that sounds like "Praise the Lord!" or something. Can this be fixed?

[but seriously, great work Danni]
Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #24
Dannii

Awww... that's a feature, not a bug!!!

Cheers for the thumbs up Roland. I still have more work to do on this but I have to figure out how to get WALTER to do a few extra things first.

I'm procrastinating on the K-Meter update graphics for the time being too. There's a ton of work in adding the extra dB markings and I'm hoping JCS will add that natively before the official V4 REAPER release....... then I won't have to do the tedious scaling work in Photoshop
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
Kundalinguist

Lots of exciting stuff yet to come, obviously.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
jmcecil

Quote:
I'm hoping JCS will add that natively before the official V4 REAPER release....... then I won't have to do the tedious scaling work in Photoshop
That would be nice, wouldn't it!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
Bevosss

Default Awesome, except for track names...

Danni, great theme! I can even use the arrange view which usually fails for me, very nicely made indeed.

The TCP track names don't work as well on this theme though, with coloured track labels or with minimized tracks. Here's my tracks in my default paula theme:

and now in yours:

See how the names disappear with minimized folder tracks? Hard to read when shown too, nearly impossible on some colours.. I love the green text elsewhere, but not so good for track names. If it was a more subtle backlit-style coloured tcp label display (like Paula) the green text would work better (for me at least.)

Apart from that, very usable! But I need to know which tracks are which to use it.

Thanks for making it, a great contribution.

Last edited by Bevosss; 01-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
Dannii

Some really good points there Bevosss. Thanks for taking the time to test this and provide your examples. I still have some learning to do with WALTER and will look at making the TCP track labels move when minimised vertically but longer than the record, mute and solo buttons horizontally.
As far as the colour scheme for track labels is concerned, I see what you mean with certain track colours too. My aim here was to emulate the mini LCD displays on the Calrec Omega desk, hence the green text. It seems to be mainly isolated to green and yellow track colouring (which I don't use) which is why I haven't noticed it. Hmmmm... some thought needed here. Leave it with me.

Something else I see in your example is the transport bar looks a little weird but I'm hoping that's because you have it less than full width across your screen. As you can see from my screen grabs, I designed the transport layout to stretch the full width across the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Lots of exciting stuff yet to come, obviously.
One would like to think so.... and knowing Cockos, I have no doubt this will indeed be the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
That would be nice, wouldn't it!
Absolutely. A few of the things in my metering improvements FR have been implemented so far which is awesome. Let's hope most of them make it into the official launch of V4.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Kundalinguist

Quote:
One would like to think so.... and knowing Cockos, I have no doubt this will indeed be the case.
Ha ha - made you say "Cockos."
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #30
Dannii

Quote:
Ha ha - made you say "Cockos."
lol
I'd really like to know where they got that name from..... and how is it actually pronounced? Are the o's pronounced 'Oh' as in 'cocoa' or 'o' as in 'clock'? If it is the former, that makes the name so much more comfortable to say in an industry demonstration of REAPER!!! (I am giving an industry presentation of REAPER as guest speaker at the February meeting of the Australian Video Producers Association next week).
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #31
Kundalinguist

From what I've read, "Cockos" was a word mistakenly heard in the movie, "Office Space," and so applied to Justin's company. You can always say "CKS" or just say "Which was created by Justin Frankel, who also famously created Winamp." It's a nice way to squirm around saying "penis."

Oh, and being guys, I'm pretty sure they like to pronounce it with a rooster in mind.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #32
Bevosss

Quote:

Something else I see in your example is the transport bar looks a little weird but I'm hoping that's because you have it less than full width across your screen. As you can see from my screen grabs, I designed the transport layout to stretch the full width across the top.
Don't worry, that's just because I made the window as small as I could get for a shup screenshot. But one thing I noticed with the transport, you can't hide the playrate...is that on purpose? I usually hide it so I can't accidentally move it, which has happened to me before.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #33
Kundalinguist

But seriously, Danni, try to post your speech at that conference, I know a few of us have asked for that and would be overjoyed to hear you "testifying" about Reaper.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
hopi

dannii well heck, with a pushed aussie accent you'd better really watch yer tonge! " "Raepeer by Kackles" is my fav. DAW..."
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
Dannii

Bevosss,

I've taken on board most of the suggestions you've made and have made a new beta of this theme which can now be found in the link in my first post. I've updated the screen shots to match.
Let me know how you go with this version.

Quote:
But seriously, Danni, try to post your speech at that conference, I know a few of us have asked for that and would be overjoyed to hear you "testifying" about Reaper.
They usually video the meetings so I'll see if I can get a copy of the video. It might be a tad tricky to post publicly though because part of the benefits of joining the AVPA as a paid member and becoming an accredited producer includes access to the meeting videos. I used to serve on their board of management though so I'll see what I can come up with. I might be able to post it privately on my YouTube channel and send some of the REAPER forum members a link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Don't worry, that's just because I made the window as small as I could get for a shup screenshot. But one thing I noticed with the transport, you can't hide the playrate...is that on purpose? I usually hide it so I can't accidentally move it, which has happened to me before.
Ah, I see. That makes me feel better!!
I haven't added an option to hide it to the Beta 3 version but I'll see what I can come up with for the next update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
dannii well heck, with a pushed aussie accent you'd better really watch yer tonge! " "Raepeer by Kackles" is my fav. DAW..."
Is that really what Aussie accents sound like to you guys?!!!! Yikes!!! lol
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #36
hopi

Quote:
Is that really what Aussie accents sound like to you guys?!!!! Yikes!!! lol
hahahaha no, ..I was trying to be kind!

---just kiddin'... ya'all sound fine...
Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #37
jacques mk2

Hi Dannii
Thanks for your hard work on this...like it a lot !
(but, one question...I can't get those track's vertical meters...how can I achieve that ?)
Best Regards
jmk2
Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #38
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
hahahaha no, ..I was trying to be kind!

---just kiddin'... ya'all sound fine...
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques mk2 View Post
Hi Dannii
Thanks for your hard work on this...like it a lot !
(but, one question...I can't get those track's vertical meters...how can I achieve that ?)
Best Regards
jmk2
Thank you for the thumbs up
Are you using REAPER V4 alpha? The extra features in this theme won't be available in REAPER V3.
If you're using V4a, if you press 'ctrl e' and select the 'layouts' tab, you'll see the options in the drop down menus.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #39
Bevosss

Hey Danni, much better on the tcp now...until I show the mixer docked, then the tcp gets compressed and the names disappear, and stay that way. But otherwise working really well now, thanks!

The tcp colours are showing fine now, the mcp not so good with blue/green, especially when selected it's very hard to read on green.

I have to say this is perhaps the best mixing theme, as you can really see the fader layout on the mixer easily at a glance. It feels like a desk almost, with the metering bridge above, nice work!

Some personal ideas...the empty arrange track area is a bit dark for me, perhaps closer to the mcp colour would be more uplifting?

Can you get text info showing for pan/vol in the mcp?

I don't know if Walter can do this or not, but some colour indication (on the knob/slider, or the text) of whether a track is panned left/right would be awesome for seeing at a glance.

Congrats again Danni, I will likely use this one for mixing at least.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
ivansc

Since most of my family were transportees and still hang out around Warrnambool, I understand Strine pretty well and I suspect Danni will find an obscure abbo word that sounds similar to cover the blushes....

P.S. Nice theme, too!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote