Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Default Two small midi requests

Hi all,

Sorry to be a pain, two small requests for midi editor functionality changes:

1) Currently if you have a number of notes selected in the midi editor and press ctrl-d to duplicate, it duplicates the selected clip instead of duplicating those notes.

If you realize you have made a mistake and press ctrl-z to undo (instinct) it naturally deletes the new clip and closes the midi editor in the process...

Requesting that if you have notes selected and press ctrl/cmd-d to duplicate, selected note are duplicated within that same clip, instead of making a new clip.

2) If the option to display midi note names is enabled this only displays the note names of the active clip in the midi editor. Can this please be changed to display the midi note names for all clips open in the same editor (ie/ ghost notes also display their name).

It looks odd when only one track displays names, also when working out harmonies where multiple voices play different parts of chords, it is easier to see what voices play different notes in the background instead of just what is active.

Also it would be really nice if we could have more than one object as active, preferably if we can set all objects in the same track as active through the filter.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Eyes

Actually I will add one more small behavior change request...

When you open a new midi editor, it defaults to C1 being in the center of the window.

Can this please be changed to middle C (C3 in Reaper) as this gives a larger spread of commonly used octaves (as most instruments won't play below C1 it would make more sense to have a more middle value set as center). Also C0 and C-1 are rarely used so it would make more sense to scroll down to see those octaves than have to scroll up to see more commonly referenced notes.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Evan

agreed to (1) and (3) as these affect me also
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
When you open a new midi editor, it defaults to C1 being in the center of the window.

Can this please be changed to middle C (C3 in Reaper) as this gives a larger spread of commonly used octaves (as most instruments won't play below C1 it would make more sense to have a more middle value set as center). Also C0 and C-1 are rarely used so it would make more sense to scroll down to see those octaves than have to scroll up to see more commonly referenced notes.
YES! This is so irritating...

I'd also like for an option to set ghost notes transparency...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
copacetic

Quote:
Actually I will add one more small behavior change request...

Totally.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
DarkStar

Strictly, the C3 label depends on your MIDI octave display offset

Here it is -1, so C3 is MIDI Note 60.

It would be better to have a Preference "MIDI window centre", settable to the number of the desired MIDI note, 60 or 48 or ...
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
YES! This is so irritating...

I'd also like for an option to set ghost notes transparency...
Agreed, or atleast make them a little darker.

The other smaller request would be defaulting input velocity to 80 or so, current setting is max (iirc) can be annoying.

Devs: if we use a sample library with velocity layering, quite often the upper velocities have separate layers - imagine a french horn blown at full power compared to played normally. When input velocity is max by default it is going to play that full power note instead of being played normally, which can be distracting.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Strictly, the C3 label depends on your MIDI octave display offset

Here it is -1, so C3 is MIDI Note 60.

It would be better to have a Preference "MIDI window centre", settable to the number of the desired MIDI note, 60 or 48 or ...
Yes that's true. I used to have it set C4 to middle C based on traditional theory, but as so many software products use C3 I gave up. lol

I was referring to the default build of Reaper more than anything.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Axonaut

Quote:
Hi all,

Sorry to be a pain, two small requests for midi editor functionality changes:

1) Currently if you have a number of notes selected in the midi editor and press ctrl-d to duplicate, it duplicates the selected clip instead of duplicating those notes.

If you realize you have made a mistake and press ctrl-z to undo (instinct) it naturally deletes the new clip and closes the midi editor in the process...

Requesting that if you have notes selected and press ctrl/cmd-d to duplicate, selected note are duplicated within that same clip, instead of making a new clip.
I don't think there is any Duplicate function in the Midi Editor... I guess there's a question about where you'd want the duplicated notes to be put...

You could actually solve this particular problem by making a custom action to duplicate notes, and make Ctrl-D the shortcut key for it. (The action sequence would be something like copy, unselect all, paste, and then maybe move the duplicated notes so you can see them easily)

This problem you've described can be solved like this, I think, but it's related to some deeper issues with Reaper:

(1) Undefined shortcuts can pass through to the main window and make major changes that you're unaware of, even when the Midi editor has focus.

(2) Undo/redo isn't reversible when opening or closing certain windows and dialogs, e.g it can't open the midi editor or close the fx dialog

(3) Some of the default shortcuts unfortunately do very different things in different views (e.g. Ctrl+Right)

I also agree with your other requests.
Axonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
EvilDragon

I always use Paste preserving position in measure instead of duplicate.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Eyes

Bump.