Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
araud
Human being with feelings

Default TabEditor Plugin Released

Hello everyone!

Please read details on WikiPage: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/TabEditor
Download: https://stash.reaper.fm/8457/reaper_tab_editor.zip
BugTracker: https://www.bughost.com Please sign-in under {login: TabEditor @ mail.com, password: TabEditor} and report bugs

With respect, Alexander Raud.

Last edited by araud; 05-17-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added bug tracker
araud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
sws
Code Monkey

Great start, and you're quite welcome!
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
LCipher

Nice work - good start. Will be interesting to see where this goes!
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Looks interesting! thanks to all involved!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Winfield

Default Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Looks interesting indeed. Curious to see how this looks but not at the daw for another week...

Someone, please post pics and/or screencaps - pretty please

Thanks
-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
araud

Default picture

I thank everyone for this great welcome!

I have added picture in the header message. And changed style a little. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Last edited by araud; 04-22-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Comment was no more relevant.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
araud

Default Version 1.0.3

Version 1.0.3! Please follow Wiki link to find out details and download.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
sumpm1

Oh this is great. Thank you so much!
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
The-Zeronaut

holy sh*t!
this is AWESOME.
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
araud

Default features

Hi, everyone!

Could you please name features of tab-editors (like guitar-pro) you most frequently use in order of importance?

Like: bends, mutes, etc...

This will help me to plan most important things in first head.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Hammer-on/pull-off/tapping, bends (all kinds of them), vibrato (please let us adjust the speed of it!), whammy (up/down an octave), slides (all kinds of them), palm mute, various harmonics, tremolo picking, let ring, dead notes, ghost notes, accents, staccato, fade in/out (allow us to determine the time of it and over how many notes it happens, use CC11 for this)...

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
carbon

And a 7-th string also
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
araud

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hammer-on/pull-off/tapping, bends (all kinds of them), vibrato (please let us adjust the speed of it!), whammy (up/down an octave), slides (all kinds of them), palm mute, various harmonics, tremolo picking, let ring, dead notes, ghost notes, accents, staccato, fade in/out (allow us to determine the time of it and over how many notes it happens, use CC11 for this)...

thank you, man! I will use it as reference point for my work!
Currently I am working on bends visualization / editing. Hope to publish new drop very soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
araud

Default 7 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
And a 7-th string also
No argues! I myself am playing ONLY 7string guitars.
And I am planning to have up to 16 strings instrument (by count of channels). With flexible adjusting of tuning of each string.

BTW in reaper you (already) can have separate instrument/settings for each string.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Just take a look at how Guitar Pro visualizes bends and all that stuff. Can't go wrong by porting that over in exactly the same form - it's the standard notation for guitar.

Question - is it REALLY necessary to have channel-per-string thing going on? I do my tabs in Guitar Pro one channel for all strings. Although by default Guitar Pro uses 2 MIDI channels (so you can do ghost bends, for example).

I'd like to have options to use single channel or two channels (in case I wanna use ghost bends) if possible. That can wait, though.

Can we change the font used to display numbers?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #16
araud

Default channels

Quote:
Just take a look at how Guitar Pro visualizes bends and all that stuff. Can't go wrong by porting that over in exactly the same form - it's the standard notation for guitar.

Question - is it REALLY necessary to have channel-per-string thing going on? I do my tabs in Guitar Pro one channel for all strings. Although by default Guitar Pro uses 2 MIDI channels (so you can do ghost bends, for example).

I'd like to have options to use single channel or two channels (in case I wanna use ghost bends) if possible. That can wait, though.

Can we change the font used to display numbers?
I have already made step out of GuitarPro way of representation. Tabs are intended to avoid learning score notation. So lengths of notes also have to be represented in natural way. Like in piano roll. And I will try to have all things more natural, so copying GuitarPro is not my case. We don't need yet another GuitarPro, do we?
However it doesn't mean I am going to make something not understandable. I will keep things simple and neat.

Channels are the only way to read/write which string note was taken on (using pure MIDI format). GuitarPro have it's own format and since that it doesn't need channels.

Font will be changed for sure.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

trying to understand how to use this. I have a midi file, but when i switch to tab mode, I see no notes. Also, I need to pitch up or down the entire item from time to time
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by araud View Post
I have already made step out of GuitarPro way of representation. Tabs are intended to avoid learning score notation. So lengths of notes also have to be represented in natural way. Like in piano roll. And I will try to have all things more natural, so copying GuitarPro is not my case. We don't need yet another GuitarPro, do we?
However it doesn't mean I am going to make something not understandable. I will keep things simple and neat.
Sure, but I would like, for example, to see how bend curve looks during the course of the note. Same goes for whammy bar. In this regard, I see no better way than to adopt the upward going arrow which would denote the number of semitones that get bent. And that's exactly how GP does it, albeit in a more simplified manner. I'd use that simplified manner, but I'd show the bend curve over the course of the whole note. It works, why invent hot water? As a long time GP user (and PowerTab before that - which was even better with displaying tab notation), I'd hate to adapt to whole new paradigms. I hope that's understandable too So, providing options would be a good thing. And options is what Reaper is all about, too!

On the other hand - note lenghts were done well in GP too, since GP uses common note slashes. However I do not disagree with the way you did it here at all - but note slashes below the fret number (as an option) would be extremely helpful to have!

Quote:
Channels are the only way to read/write which string note was taken on (using pure MIDI format). GuitarPro have it's own format and since that it doesn't need channels.
Wouldn't it then make more sense to use channels 1-6 instead 11-16?

Quote:
Font will be changed for sure.
User should be able to change this. Alternatively you could use one of theme fonts (for example, ruler font, although any other could be used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
trying to understand how to use this. I have a midi file, but when i switch to tab mode, I see no notes. Also, I need to pitch up or down the entire item from time to time
MIDI file with per-string information on channels 11-16? Because nothing else will work currently.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #19
araud

Default channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
if you import from GuitarPro, please set "Force 11-16 channels" inside GuitarPro before exporting.

Or you need to adjust channels manually in reaper.

Usual MIDI have no information about strings, so I cannot deduce them without guessing. However I'll add deduction mechanism eventually.

Sorry this is very beginning, so it's not supported yet.
Thank you for trying that, your feed back is very appreciated!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
araud

Default overall

Quote:
Sure, but I would like, for example, to see how bend curve looks during the course of the note. Same goes for whammy bar. In this regard, I see no better way than to adopt the upward going arrow which would denote the number of semitones that get bent. And that's exactly how GP does it, albeit in a more simplified manner. I'd use that simplified manner, but I'd show the bend curve over the course of the whole note. It works, why invent hot water? As a long time GP user (and PowerTab before that - which was even better with displaying tab notation), I'd hate to adapt to whole new paradigms. I hope that's understandable too So, providing options would be a good thing. And options is what Reaper is all about, too!
Okay let's discuss it after you saw what I have done. Please wait a little.
in short, it is curve in my plugin but looks not as in GP.

Quote:
On the other hand - note lenghts were done well in GP too, since GP uses common note slashes. However I do not disagree with the way you did it here at all - but note slashes below the fret number (as an option) would be extremely helpful to have!
Okay this makes sense. Thank you!

Quote:
Wouldn't it then make more sense to use channels 1-6 instead 11-16?
Seems like this is somewhat standard. This is so in GP and in another place I saw. But I will provide ability to change this. I just had to align with something existing first.

Quote:
User should be able to change this. Alternatively you could use one of theme fonts (for example, ruler font, although any other could be used).
Exactly what I was going to do - reuse reaper fonts.

Quote:
MIDI file with per-string information on channels 11-16? Because nothing else will work currently.
Right, thank you for helping other to make it working
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Hmmm. I can't use + and - because I have other functions assigned to those keys. Ideally you should register a new context for the Actions list and make all the keys assignable. I bet Tim can help

Also, I noticed I can enter fret numbers above 24. There should be some kind of limit here, don't you think? I think I've heard about a guitar that has 30 frets, but not more.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
araud

Quote:
Hmmm. I can't use + and - because I have other functions assigned to those keys. Ideally you should register a new context for the Actions list and make all the keys assignable. I bet Tim can help

Also, I noticed I can enter fret numbers above 24. There should be some kind of limit here, don't you think? I think I've heard about a guitar that has 30 frets, but not more.
Yeah, I will map it to actions. I know how to do that. Switch is action already.

And I had guitar with 36 frets
Also I am not going to limit it because could be slide-board or something.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Quote:
Yeah, I will map it to actions. I know how to do that. Switch is action already.
Great! Would be good if it had its own context in the Actions list if possible.

Quote:
Pics! Also wasn't it hard to play those narrow frets? What are your fingers, toothpicks?

Quote:
Also I am not going to limit it because could be slide-board or something.
Option for user to choose the highest fret number? Hahah, I already see a properties screen for this extension as the version number gets higher

BTW, one of the things we should be able to change as soon as possible is: guitar tuning.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #24
araud

Quote:
Great! Would be good if it had its own context in the Actions list if possible.
Is that really possible? Would be great if so.

Quote:
Pics! Also wasn't it hard to play those narrow frets? What are your fingers, toothpicks?
Yeah if was like on violin... but I didn't use frets after 28 much. So yes, 30 is enough. But I have already sold it. May be will find some old photos later.

Quote:
Option for user to choose the highest fret number? Hahah, I already see a properties screen for this extension as the version number gets higher
I think that current limitation (99) is not worse than 24 or 30. So special adjustment for that seems excessive. You do you think it still makes sense to limit for some reason?

Quote:
BTW, one of the things we should be able to change as soon as possible is: guitar tuning.
okay, I'll add it asap.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Jeffos
Mortal

I've seen few issues (with item offsets, splited item once tabEdited, a crash I can't repro unfortunately, slip editing, etc..) but this is an excellent start, Kudos araud!
Quote:
Is that really possible? Would be great if so.
yes, possible (check out how the "S&M extension" section is created here: http://code.google.com/p/sws-extensi...nM_Actions.cpp)
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
I think that current limitation (99) is not worse than 24 or 30. So special adjustment for that seems excessive. You do you think it still makes sense to limit for some reason?
Yep, it should be limited because what happens if you enter a note higher than MIDI note 127? The topmost piano key is 108, BTW. There should definitely be a parameter that limits the max fret number.

Also, if we have a note lower than what the string can display (in this example I entered the notes manually first, then switched to tab mode), we get negative fret number displayed That was a bit funny. The tab editor should try to match that value to lower strings and move it there, and if that's not possible (when the note is lower than open low E string, OR depending on guitar tuning which you'll soon implement!), just erase that note, OR turn it into a dead (X) note.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
sumpm1

Quote:
Hi, everyone!

Could you please name features of tab-editors (like guitar-pro) you most frequently use in order of importance?

Like: bends, mutes, etc...

This will help me to plan most important things in first head.
Top priority is "palm mute." for me.
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
xpander

Quote:
One of those Washburn Stephen's Extended Cutaway guitars they had in the 80's? I'd like one of Uli Jon Roth's Sky guitars, but not the one with 42 frets.

Thanks for the cool plugin!
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #29
araud

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
One of those Washburn Stephen's Extended Cutaway guitars they had in the 80's? I'd like one of Uli Jon Roth's Sky guitars, but not the one with 42 frets.

Thanks for the cool plugin!
You're welcome!!!

No that was handmade model. Fretboard was excellent, but deck was aweful. because as student I found money only for good fretboard.
Later I sold it because of the sound.

Fretboard was not only 36 frets long, it was scalloped and upper length of fretboard was longer than lower. So fret gaps was different lengths on first string and on 6th. This gave ideal tuning.

But growing older I understood that sound is more important and I bought usual Ibanez.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
carbon

Quote:
You're welcome!!!
But growing older I understood that sound is more important and I bought usual Ibanez.
I thought when getting older, people buy Fenders and Gibsons
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
EvilDragon

...or PRS
Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #32
GregHolmes

Here's a BassLab Jinmoid model guitar, 40 frets:

Your fingers don't have to be between the frets, just BEHIND the one you want. More on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BassLab/188391531191604
Old 04-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
araud

Default wow guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I thought when getting older, people buy Fenders and Gibsons
I am not as old yet still playing with processor(Line 6 Floor Pod). Without tubes. And am fine with it's speaker-simulator. No combo. So seems like I am still young

But I want that guitar on the picture!!! But with >=7 strings.
40 frets is overkill, 30 would be enough. But 7 or more strings. And better scalloped. And with different low and high scales. And with extra MIDI pickup.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #34
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHolmes View Post
Here's a BassLab Jinmoid model guitar, 40 frets:
Hehe, nice butt
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #35
GregHolmes

7 or more strings and the other things can all be done. And yes, nice butt! The Facebook page has more info and pictures. But, that's enough de-railing for now... :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #36
araud

Default version 1.0.4

hi!

A new drop is here!
Please see links in header or in my signature.

Of major things - added guitar settings (Source Properties).
And a couple of mouse events: double click for opening MIDI editor and mouse wheel for changing note length.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #37
EvilDragon

Cool!

Some suggestions:

* Allow us to type the values in Source properties for all fields along with being able to use up/down buttons. For MIDI notes, it would allow both typing in the note name, or MIDI note number from 0 to 127.

* Remember first string channel globally instead of per-item.

* Saving/loading tunings.

* Possible to mousewheel over dropdown menus to change values? That's standard Reaper behavior.

* I kind of expected dynamically updated Source properties, with all 16 strings available to edit instantaneously, and gray out those which aren't used depending on String count. Current method of using dropdowns isn't as fast as it could be. I hope you can understand what I mean, if not I can try making a mockup?

* Register a new context for the Actions list and put all commands used by tab editor there so they can be freely assignable. For now I cannot use +/- because I have them assigned elsewhere... and by registering a new context, when editing a tab editor item we would get a new namespace for all keys, so I could use +/- normally then.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
araud

Quote:
Cool!
Thank you!

Quote:
Some suggestions:

* Allow us to type the values in Source properties for all fields along with being able to use up/down buttons. For MIDI notes, it would allow both typing in the note name, or MIDI note number from 0 to 127.
Wow. Why?

Quote:
* Remember first string channel globally instead of per-item.
Not very flexible. And first channel is 16 minus string count. So different string count is different first channel.
But I understand you well if you don't want to adjust all the same for several items.
I will think on duplicating settings.

Quote:
* Saving/loading tunings.
Either I don't get it. Either you say that tunings are dropped after save\load. Please double check it, pressing save button after you changed tuning and reload project.

Quote:
* Possible to mousewheel over dropdown menus to change values? That's standard Reaper behavior.
Sure, but dropdown have to get focus first. Click on it and then mouse works.

Quote:
* I kind of expected dynamically updated Source properties, with all 16 strings available to edit instantaneously, and gray out those which aren't used depending on String count. Current method of using dropdowns isn't as fast as it could be. I hope you can understand what I mean, if not I can try making a mockup?
It was my first desire to make it this way. But it takes complicated control creation or control set generation. Which was not too attractive to do. May be later though. But you usually tune it once and it takes seconds after you get accustomed with that dialog.

Quote:
* Register a new context for the Actions list and put all commands used by tab editor there so they can be freely assignable. For now I cannot use +/- because I have them assigned elsewhere... and by registering a new context, when editing a tab editor item we would get a new namespace for all keys, so I could use +/- normally then.
Okay, I can create actions for some of them, but not for all. For example I have no idea how to enter digits thru registered actions. Silly to register each digit as action .

Thank you so much for helping me to make it better! I always value your suggestions and try to make them winning over my laziness.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #39
EvilDragon

Quote:
Wow. Why?
It's faster to type in a value for me than go to it with up/down arrows. For example, changing fret number from 21 to 30 - that's 9 clicks, but with typing I just click to select the text field, and type 30 that's it, 3 actions in total. Beats nine clicks, or one long click anytime.

Quote:
Not very flexible. And first channel is 16 minus string count. So different string count is different first channel.
But I understand you well if you don't want to adjust all the same for several items.
I will think on duplicating settings.
It's just something I'd like to have as a default. Don't want the default to be imposed on me every time, I want to have a setup of my own that works after one setting up and that's it

For example, I'd always want to use channels 1-6 for 6-strings. ALWAYS. I don't want to duplicate that setup to all items. I want it to be the default.

Quote:
Either I don't get it. Either you say that tunings are dropped after save\load. Please double check it, pressing save button after you changed tuning and reload project.
Doesn't have to do anything with project saving/loading. I just want to be able to radically change tunings from previously saved settings - going from E to drop D, or going from 6-string to 7-string, or going from guitar to 5-string bass. You know, like in Guitar Pro. Also with an option to transpose the notes or not when changing the tuning. Like in Guitar Pro. That's one thing what is GOOD in GP and we should definitely have it here In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to completely convert Guitar Pro's tuning dialog here. It works - and works well.

Quote:
Sure, but dropdown have to get focus first. Click on it and then mouse works.
In Reaper you don't have to click on a certain dropdown to get it to focus. Try it in MIDI editor dropdowns - scroll over them without clicking on them.

Quote:
Thank you so much for helping me to make it better! I always value your suggestions and try to make them winning over my laziness.
Good to know!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-04-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #40
araud

Quote:
It's faster to type in a value for me than go to it with up/down arrows. For example, changing fret number from 21 to 30 - that's 9 clicks, but with typing I just click to select the text field, and type 30 that's it, 3 actions in total. Beats nine clicks, or one long click anytime.
Ok got it. Will update in next drop.

Quote:
It's just something I'd like to have as a default. Don't want the default to be imposed on me every time, I want to have a setup of my own that works after one setting up and that's it

For example, I'd always want to use channels 1-6 for 6-strings. ALWAYS. I don't want to duplicate that setup to all items. I want it to be the default.
Okay it is feasible.

Quote:
Doesn't have to do anything with project saving/loading. I just want to be able to radically change tunings from previously saved settings - going from E to drop D, or going from 6-string to 7-string, or going from guitar to 5-string bass. You know, like in Guitar Pro.
This is also possible now. But not with one click. However it is not such frequent operation... You see, I would like to open as many abilities as I can instead of polishing one ability.

Quote:
Also with an option to transpose the notes or not when changing the tuning. Like in Guitar Pro. That's one thing what is GOOD in GP and we should definitely have it here In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to completely convert Guitar Pro's tuning dialog here. It works - and works well.
Yes transposition is good thing. Will address it some day.
For now I support only situation when you change first string channel. So switching from 6 strings to 7 doesn't ruin already entered notes.

Quote:
In Reaper you don't have to click on a certain dropdown to get it to focus. Try it in MIDI editor dropdowns - scroll over them without clicking on them.
Will try to find out how they managed to do this