Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
voidar
Human being with feelings

Default V4: Metronome voes

Ok,

been tracking with a recent v4 beta (some two-three weeks old), but I don't think any changes to the metronome section has been done. This might come under a feauture request tag, but here are my observations.

1. Both precount and preroll seem to override my recording modes. Nothing is recorded prior to the playback cursor resulting in cut-off drums etc. If you have a triggered kick drum i.e. it won't even record that transient. After all, most drummers hit on the metronome and not after.

2. The drummer pointed out that he would rather have the metronome play at the tempo of the section he is punching in on and not follow the tempo map, which many times was why he would need to punch-in in the first place.
I can see why this is so for preroll, but for precount this behavour is pointless.

As a workaround I had to record further into the time line and then slip the takes back to the correct place, but this can be a PITA if you are working on a strict tempo map.
voidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
hopi

have noticed that some time back in V3, that the metro start can be about a 1/16 late... I saw this happen when using automated actions to start the metronome and had to adjust the placement of the action.. ahout a 1/16 ahead if I recall
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Wohma

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
2. The drummer pointed out that he would rather have the metronome play at the tempo of the section he is punching in on and not follow the tempo map, which many times was why he would need to punch-in in the first place.
I can see why this is so for preroll, but for precount this behavour is pointless.
Exactly! If a song has some tempo changes or even meter changes, it's sometimes impossible to record without messing with the tempo track.

No.1 makes sense too, it ruined a few takes I recorded.
Wohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
AdamWathan

#1 is why we really need Quick Punch recording :

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2497

It would apply in this situation as well, basically anytime Reaper is engaged in any sort of playback (including preroll), all armed tracks would record to disk "under the hood" so you never lose a take and can always trim the left and right edges to reveal the stuff that was recorded behind the scenes.

#2 I also agree with 100%.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
voidar

How is this comming allong really?

Recfently I've been doing a lot of note/chord by chord punch-ins for this one particular project (s**t was out of tune!) and it's problematic that the initial transient might be cut off some; I can't just alt-shift the audio to the correct place for the right punch.

I mean, this is pretty elementary. How can something so elementary and of such high priority (quick punch in/pre record buffer) not be added already?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
BlackBart

Quote:
How is this comming allong really?

I mean, this is pretty elementary. How can something so elementary and of such high priority (quick punch in/pre record buffer) not be added already?
I sooo agree!
I'm scratching my head seeing Reascript work when quick punch and track based ME are still huge problems.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Ok,
1. Both precount and preroll seem to override my recording modes. Nothing is recorded prior to the playback cursor resulting in cut-off drums etc. If you have a triggered kick drum i.e. it won't even record that transient. After all, most drummers hit on the metronome and not after.

You're so right! For the second one, Reaper should simply have an option to set the precount to the tempo/measure of the record starting point.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
voidar

A recent update actually fixed the precount behavour, but REAPER does not record a 1/10th second (which would have been enough) before the precount is done. This means you have to lay behind the metronome and not dead on, and surely not in front.