Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
MyMusic42
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
Default How To Fade Out A Song?

Is there a way to fade out an entire song? I can fade out a single track, but it is not clear how to fade out an entire song consisting of MIDI and audio tracks. I've been rendering the song as MP3, them reopening the track in a new instance of Reaper and THEN doing the fade, but I have to believe there is a better way. Thanks
MyMusic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
moliere
Human being with feelings
 
moliere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,991
Default

right click the tcp and click 'show master track', then go to the master track, press 'V' and this opens a volume envelope. Draw in your fadeout.
moliere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
PeeWee
Human being with feelings
 
PeeWee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Germany, near Hamburg
Posts: 106
Default

Hmmm, I think you should do your mastering before. Do the fadeouts as last step. Otherwise at least your mastering compressor will mess up the fade out.
__________________
Sometimes I'm talking to myself. Huh? Sometimes I'm talking to myself. Ah, lol
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
I've been rendering the song as MP3, them reopening the track in a new instance of Reaper and THEN doing the fade, but I have to believe there is a better way.
Just FYI - MP3 is lossy compression, and by opening, re-editing, and re-rendering, you are going through a 2nd lossy compression step.

MP3 can be very good, especially at high bitrates, and you might not hear any quality loss, but it's just something to keep in mind. If you want/need a lossy format, it's best to compress once as the final step after all editing, mixing, processing, mastering, etc.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
right click the tcp and click 'show master track', then go to the master track, press 'V' and this opens a volume envelope. Draw in your fadeout.
Don't forget to try out the Bezier shape to get the fade just right.

Instead of trying to draw it.

http://web.me.com/produceher/filechute/068.mov
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
TimOBrien
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Just FYI - MP3 is lossy compression, and by opening, re-editing, and re-rendering, you are going through a 2nd lossy compression step.
Yup.

ALWAYS render to a uncompressed .wav format, do your edits/fades/mastering and THEN save it as an mp3.

Once you save as an mp3, you're throwing away 80% or so of the data to get the smaller file size. You cannot make up for that loss, so always work on uncompressed files....
__________________
iMac i5quad/12gbRAM/1Tb Glyph drive/1Tb samples drive > Motu828mkII ---- Still run my GatewayM520 2.8ghz XP laptop. Video editing, 3D work and audio with zero problems.
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings
 
pixeltarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 3,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Hmmm, I think you should do your mastering before. Do the fadeouts as last step. Otherwise at least your mastering compressor will mess up the fade out.
just automate a JSvolume plugin at the end of the plugin list... that shouldn't interfere with comps and the like...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
wags3d
Human being with feelings
 
wags3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Don't forget to try out the Bezier shape to get the fade just right.

Instead of trying to draw it.

http://web.me.com/produceher/filechute/068.mov
Interesting technique for the fade Kenny, thanks for sharing. I really miss using a fader to do the master fade, used to love that part of the mix on a real console.
wags3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags3d View Post
Interesting technique for the fade Kenny, thanks for sharing. I really miss using a fader to do the master fade, used to love that part of the mix on a real console.
I actually don't miss it at all.

I stunk at it.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
just automate a JSvolume plugin at the end of the plugin list... that shouldn't interfere with comps and the like...
Isn't the Master Fader post FX?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
PeeWee
Human being with feelings
 
PeeWee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Germany, near Hamburg
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
just automate a JSvolume plugin at the end of the plugin list... that shouldn't interfere with comps and the like...
I just said this, becaus some people would prefer to master in a different software, and/or maybe even with a bus to hardware stuff, so ...

If all happens in Reaper, you are right.
__________________
Sometimes I'm talking to myself. Huh? Sometimes I'm talking to myself. Ah, lol
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
MyMusic42
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
Default thanks

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their ideas and input on the subject
MyMusic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.