PDA

View Full Version : Mackie Onyx 1620i/REAPER Mystery

Capt. Ahab
04-15-2012, 07:23 PM
This one has been a tough one for me to figure out. I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas to try.

Those of you familiar with the Onyx 1620i will know that there are 8 mono channels (single input) and 4 stereo channels capable of accepting 2 inputs each-thereby making a possible 16 lines. Well here's the scenario:

Currently there are 12 inputs, so every channel has its own input and none of the last 4 channels are doubled up. This group of stereo channels is where the mystery arises, namely the last one (line 15-16) which is accepting a mic line from a guitar cab. The signal coming from this channel is a sloppy sounding mix of other instruments/voices and not just a clean guitar signal. I even tried going direct and cut the mic out with no change in signal. This channel also has a button that will switch the signal input from the line input to a FW signal coming from the PC. I have it set to the line selection.

I get the feeling it is either an issue with a returning FW signal or a routing issue. I have tried multiple swaps in the routing matrix by sending the signal to other destinations with most changes only ending in an undesirable result.

Toss some ideas my way fellas. I'm ready to try anything to get a good signal from this channel.

Capt. Ahab
04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
For those interested:

Issue resolved! Glad to say it wasn't anything to do with REAPER. There is an additional switch near the Main Mix fader, that I was unaware of, which allows the L and R Main mix to send thru the FW output of ch.15-16. This explains why I couldn't hear any electric guitar in the sloppy mix. The channel was sending the main mix, not electric guitar. Duh!