PDA

View Full Version : Reaper and Poise MIDI question

martinmadero
05-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi folks, i want to record a midi drum from POISE. I want to separate the tracks outputs and the midi track (so, i want to record 8 tracks from 1 sample per track).
So, that is possible? I could route the outputs but i cannot play each note on a separated track (note 1, track 1, note 2, track 2) all the MIDI information keeps on the track 1 or all the tracks has the same information.
Sorry for my bad english
and thanks for the answer!

ijijn
05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi Martin,

I hope I understand your problem. Would you like to have each different drum sound output to its own track, so you can mix them separately? You can also optionally have each drum sound triggered by a different MIDI track. I'll cover that last.

I had a little play around with the Poise demo and I noticed a few things that may help.

Preparing POISE

When you click on the Menu button, there is a menu option e.g. "Outputs: 1 STEREO PAIR". You would probably want to change this to "Outputs: 16 STEREO PAIRS", or a similar large number.

Then when you click on each of the 16 pad areas (the black rectangles), below these rectangles you'll notice a little "Output: 1" appearing, showing the current output for each pad. You can go through each pad, first to last, and click on the "Output: 1" and change it to a different number. So the first pad is now "Output: 1", the second is "Output: 2", the third is "Output: 3", etc.

When this is all done, you can move on to the Reaper routing magic.

Preparing REAPER

After doing all this with Poise, Create 16 new empty tracks. Then click on the I/O button on the Poise track, and under "- Sends -" click "Add new send…" and at the bottom is an option "Add sends to all tracks". Choose this one.

This creates outputs to all 16 of your tracks. You can see the list of all of your sends by clicking on the same I/O button again (you may have to scroll to see the bottom ones).

If you have any extra tracks you don't want to send to, you can disable sends individually if you like by clicking on "Delete" next to the track in question. e.g. you already have a bass track recorded, and you don't want to send any drum sounds to that, so you "Delete" the send to the bass track.

The next part is a little tedious, which involves going through each of your sends in the list and changing the outputs: they should all default to "Audio 1/2 => Audio 1/2" (this is typically in the bottom left part). You want to change the first part of this to sequential stereo outputs, so the first track shows "Audio 1/2 => Audio 1/2", the second shows "Audio 3/4 => Audio 1/2", the third shows "Audio 5/6 => Audio 1/2" and so on until you're done.

OR … The Quick Way

Another way to do all of this Reaper routing is to copy your "Poise.dll" file to "Poise 16 Out.dll" in the same VST folder, which will automatically set the number of outputs to 32 (16 x stereo outs).

Then you can right click in the track area (the TCP) where there are no tracks and choose "Insert virtual instrument on new track…" then select the Poise 16 Out VST (you may need to refresh your VST list by hitting F5 for the new one to show). Reaper will ask do you want to create multiple output tracks? Say yes.

That does your Reaper routing work automatically. Neat!

MIDI routing - if you want/need to do this

You can simply trigger all of these drum sounds from one MIDI track (and it can be on the same track as the Poise VSTi). If you want to have MIDI from other tracks feeding into Poise, you can do that too.

Setting this up is very similar to setting up audio routing as above.

Create a new track for each MIDI track you would like.

On the Poise track, click the I/O button again. This time look under "- Receives -", because we want to receive MIDI from elsewhere. Click on "Add new receive…" and click on a track with MIDI you want to use. Repeat this for all other MIDI tracks you want to send to Poise.

When you are done, you can make it clear these are MIDI tracks by setting the "Audio 1/2 => Audio 1/2" to "None (=> Audio 1/2)".

If you need to specify MIDI channels you can do this in the bottom right part, so each channel can send on only one channel, or on all channels, depending on what you need.

Sorry about such a long post! I hope this helps. :)

martinmadero
05-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanx for this complete answer!!
I make the outputs for each track in the poise and routing it to different tracks, but i donīt know how the midi note assigned to each track will be present as a track in the current output..
I donīt know if i clear..
1. Create a POISE track
2. ASSING the pads to different outputs (note 1 => output 1, note 2 => output 2, etc)
3. when i do this, i can record a MIDI track in the poise track and the outputs are individually on the sends, so i can apply effects to different channels, etc.

BUT....

4. I want to the notes assigned to the outputs WILL be on the same track of the outputs, so i can quickly edit them.. for example, the notes por the output 1 is a bassdrum, i will see ONLY this note in the track of the bassdrum (output 1), and the output 2 contains ONLY the notes played to the note of this output..

I CANīT DO THIS!!! :(

hopi
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
yes you can...

he did tell you how but read this again:

how many different notes do you need to send to poise? 16?

ok make another sixteen tracks, name each one for the note [pad] in poise... like so:

Trak for Poise Pad 1, etc.

set all those traks to record your midi
set each of them to send to the track that holds poise vsti
set up the sends so that there is no audio send and only midi sends

OK now put your bass drum on one of those tracks and your snare on another, etc.

now you can edit each of those tracks easily... you can do it with the midi editor or the inline midi editor [clk the item and then the E key]

Now you could also set all the notes on each trak to a unique midi channel... say bass if chan 1, snare is chan 2, etc.

then in your midi sends to poise, just have ALL to chan 1 for all of them

Now if you open them all in the same midi editor, and use the color to set to 'by channel' you will see each of those tracks notes in their own color... and can see them all in relation to all the others.

OR... you could just have them all on the same track, send to poise All to chan 1... then since it will be drums, you can rt clk the note on the piano roll keys for the bass, which will select all the midi notes for that note, then set all those notes to one of the sixteen channels... then in the midi editor you can use the filter to show or not show any of the midi channels you wish... for example, only want to see chan's 1 and 5? or just chan 4, etc.

ijijn
05-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Hopi makes some outstanding suggestions that are clearly worth considering.

Out of interest, I tried setting it up the way you would like, but for some reason Reaper wouldn't output audio as soon as there was a MIDI loop created (i.e. track A sending to B and track B sending to A). Perhaps it is afraid of creating potentially dangerous feedback?

I had a quick look through my settings, in case I had enabled some kind of MIDI safeguard; couldn't see anything. I tried sending one way pre-FX and the other post-FX but that didn't seem to help matters.

Perhaps someone knows how this is possible to overcome, and then Martin can have Poise the way he wants?

Also, if it did work somehow, I wonder how Reaper would handle running MIDI and audio FX on the same channel (both would have to be sent post-FX; I have an image of a hallway of mirrors, bouncing the data around forever). Of course it really should work if the opposing streams are exclusively audio one way and MIDI the other, but it still sounds like a tricky situation.

Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you can find a way to organise your tracks that suits you. :)