PDA

View Full Version : EZDrummer not opening properly

Elementxenon
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I know there are a ton of similar threads on this but after looking through them I have yet to find someone with my similar issue. Most of those cant even find their VST. I can, but I'm having a 'no sound' issue with EZDrummer/DFH. I'm not even getting the plug-in to open properly when I add it as a Virtual Instrument/MIDI I'll list my steps and possibly someone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. adding a new track
2. selecting the track and clicking FX
3. clicking the VSTi tree
4. selecting VSTi Dfh Sampler (x86) (Toontrack) (16out)

- now here's where the first problem arises -

I don't get the kit to open it's EZDrummer interface window and show the kit, etc. etc. I can get it to open properly in FL10. But I would like to be able to compose my drum tracks in Reaper with the piano roll, rather than build 'em in FL and import them in as a Media File.

5. insert new midi item on selected track
6. select item properties on the midi item
7. uncheck "loop source" > apply > ok
8. open piano roll, no audio.
5. delete track, try same as above but as a virtual instrument on a new track
6. select VSTi Dfh Sampler (x86) (Toontrack) (16out)
7. repeat steps 5-8 and cry!

Any help or light shed on this would be greatly amazing. I'm also having trouble getting Reaper to use a Digitech GSP1101 as an interface via its USB output. My PC and Reaper 'see' it as a viable input device, yet will not receive ANY signal from it on the track.

Sorry this is a multi point question, but I'm at my wits end!

Thanks in advance!

ivansc
06-14-2012, 03:13 AM
The simplest way to see if this is really a genuine problem is to use the option "insert virtual instrument on new track" rather than opening a trak and then putting the EZD plug in the tracks FX.

If you do that and the GUI for EZD doesnt come up, you really DO have a problem.
Now it may be that you have something weird like having accidentally engaged "dont show plugin GUI" but that s a different kettle of fish altogether.
Try a direct tack iteration like I said above and let u know what happens.

I have EZD (plus countless other drum plugs) working flawlessly in Reaper, as do many others.

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I did try that, as stated in my original post and it yielded the same results. No GUI, No sound... what to try next, I wonder.

msore
06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
hey ex. Do you want to (a) create MIDI hits/notes in the MIDI editor for the drums from nothing? Or do you want to (b) grab an EZDrummer measure/beat, throw it on the track, and then open it up for customization/editing? If you do the latter, the item will have a long nonsense name but go to item properties where you can name it and set whether you want it to loop, and set its length.

Question, when is it you are not getting? Is it the UI that comes up when you hit the track's FX button? Or is it the little app (independent from Reaper) that you expect to come up JUST for composing drum parts?

A dumb possibility for an answer on "no audio" [which has pissed me off before duh] is that had previously hit the function key on my keyboard to TURN OFF audio output.

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
msore, I am attempting to do situation (a). I'd like to compose from scratch IN Reaper. I've been successful opening EZD with FL10 and composing there then inserting them as a media file. But, I'm trying to eliminate that process entirely.

Answer, I'm not getting the GUI for EZD to show up at all when opening the VST, like every video tutorial I've watched.

As far as the function key turning off audio... why would that happen?

msore
06-14-2012, 09:21 AM
As far as the function key turning off audio... why would that happen?

Because I turned it off to avoid goddam audio from f#$king intrusive web-ads, for example.

Q What DOES happen when you have a track, click on the FX button for that track? Do you get the REAPER list of FX for the track, with the on/off checkboxes on the left [listing "VSTi: Dfh Sampler(Toonrack)"] and the dropdown list of presets on the right [listing "Basic"]?

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
No checkboxes but I get the VST list and I'm able to put the toontrack plug in in there.

msore
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Okay, when the Dfh Sampler EZD VSTi is IN THERE, what happens when you click on the little box over to the right (next to the wet/dry circle) which says "UI"?

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
I'll have to check it again when I get home from work today... I will update you, once I'm back in front of the DAW - although not getting the GUI is still concerning. Also when I select the VSTi I'm not prompted with the "open all other tracks" (verbage) window.

ivansc
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I did try that, as stated in my original post and it yielded the same results. No GUI, No sound... what to try next, I wonder.

Sorry but no, nowhere in your original post did you say you had used that option.

To make it totally unambiguous, I am talking about the top menu option on "insert" which allows you to create a new track with the chosen VSTi already in the track and configured to work.

And I too am beginning to suspect you just have the GUI turned off OR you are not actually loading EZD as a VSTi effect.

Odd..... Look forward to hearing exactly what you DO see when you open the tracks' FX window.

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 09:43 AM
5. delete track, try same as above but as a virtual instrument on a new track
6. select VSTi Dfh Sampler (x86) (Toontrack) (16out)

Thanks in advance!

Actually, I did... and yes, I did use the top menu option 'insert' as well as right-click 'insert' in the tracks area of the Reaper window. When I load it up that way, it shows the track as EZDrummer-whatever-nomenclature as the source. Then I insert a new midi item with that track selected, drag it out, compose gibberish with the piano roll just for a test. It certainly SHOWS it in the 'music' area as being there. But I don't hear anything while testing th epiano roll, or while composing.

When I'm in front of it later today, I will report back on what I see when I open the tracks' FX ... with shiny screenshots!

ivansc
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Aha! Predictably, I interpreted that as you still added the EZD after you opened the track.
So... what IS showing in the FX window when you invoke EZD that way? Nothing? If so it sounds like you may possibly have installed EZD incorrectly - it might well be that the .dll is looking for the rest of the plug in a "wrong" location?

Sort of Irish Mine-sweepering here, I'm afraid.

Elementxenon
06-14-2012, 07:15 PM
OK... So step by step with screenshots.

1. open new track and click the FX button - http://i.imgur.com/eZN7I.jpg

2. add the DFH Toontrack VSTi. The EZD GUI doesn't show up, and the FX window disappears. However, the mouse-over hover text on the FX indicates that DFH is properly loaded - http://i.imgur.com/htGrO.jpg

3. open the piano roll, no audio while composing or playback

4. start from scratch by deleting previous track and adding a new one as a Virtual Instrument - http://i.imgur.com/HnaCc.jpg

5. select the DFH Toontrack VSTi - http://i.imgur.com/HnaCc.jpg

6. The EZD GUI doesn't show up, and the FX window disappears. However, now the track shows the source as DFH Sampler - http://i.imgur.com/zaw2C.jpg

7. insert new midi item, disable the loop, drag it out for desired bar length, double click for piano roll, and no sound is heard during composing or playback. - http://i.imgur.com/f0nyU.jpg

Any more info I can provide to maybe help solve the mystery, please let me know and I will do my best to accommodate.

Alternatively, I feel like everything is installed correctly, because when I attempt to open DFH with FL Studio 10, it works as it should. - http://i.imgur.com/M00XH.jpg

[Edit] Also in Reaper when I attempt to open EZD I don't get the option to 'Build Routing' as 8 stereo channels.

Thanks in advance!

hopi
06-14-2012, 09:21 PM
some of your jpg's don't seem to show for me... but

once you have the track set up and have EZ loaded on it, dbl clk the FX button and see if another window [the FX Chain window] opens

see if the gui is there... if so, dbl clk on the name of it there and the gui will float and you can close that other window

Next, IF that works, load a kit into EZ it likely don't have a kit loaded...

lastly, from your midi notes jpeg... you maybe tring to trigger notes that don't make sound... start out in the C1 octave..

not sure but think there may be on the stash some templastes with EZ drummer set up... check that out and try one.

ivansc
06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Dead right, hopi - drum notemaps for pretty much everything ToonTrack offers already in the stash.

And FWIW we are of the same mind as to what is causing this.

Unfortunately, the crucial picture showing dfhsampler in the FX window is actually a duplicate of the "insert virtual instrument on new track" shot.
But as we both said, he likely ISNT showing the GUI because somehow or other that view got turned off.
One simple mouse click and he will at least SEE it!

Surprised he isnt sticking a MIDI note on ANY of the mapped samples, but stranger things have happened.
Hopefully our work here is done. (grin)

hopi
06-15-2012, 06:14 AM
right Ivan... hopefully... but if not, I'd make him a project he could load to see how it should be done...

I still recall way back going nutz with AD drums, ...which was good in the long run as it got me to understand most everything about routing in reaper and AD.

Elementxenon
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
hopi, I just got to work for the day, gonna have to try this out in 8hrs or so.
Hopefully that'll be the ticket!

Elementxenon
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
once you have the track set up and have EZ loaded on it, dbl clk the FX button and see if another window [the FX Chain window] opens

see if the gui is there... if so, dbl clk on the name of it there and the gui will float and you can close that other window

I double clicked the FX button and it didn't open the FX Chain Window. I did Ctrl+Alt+F to find all floating windows, and it brought up the Browse FX window again.

Next, IF that works, load a kit into EZ it likely don't have a kit loaded...

Since that didn't work... now what?

lastly, from your midi notes jpeg... you maybe tring to trigger notes that don't make sound... start out in the C1 octave..

I tried every single note placement... no sound from any of 'em

not sure but think there may be on the stash some templastes with EZ drummer set up... check that out and try one.

The Stash? Is that a forum section?

Elementxenon
06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, the crucial picture showing dfhsampler in the FX window is actually a duplicate of the "insert virtual instrument on new track" shot.

Here ya go... http://i.imgur.com/3iZl6.jpg

he likely ISNT showing the GUI because somehow or other that view got turned off.
One simple mouse click and he will at least SEE it!

Oh, if only it were that simple...

Hopefully our work here is done. (grin)

I wish it were... :(

ivansc
06-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Might be worth doing an uninstall/reinstall of reaper just so you know your intall is OK?

This is fascinating..... the picture you posted indeed shows everything the way it should be, assuming the latest one was what you got after hitting the insert virtual instrument on new track option, but if you aren't even getting the EZD gui up when you invoke it in the FX chain, there is something drastically wrong and it is starting to look like it COULD be your basic install having issues.
As a matter of interest, do you have other VSTis in use and do they work OK?

Elementxenon
06-15-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't use any other VSTs. But, to re-hash a few posts. I can load the EZD VST without ANY issue in FL Studio 10

Elementxenon
06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Good news... Un/Re-install did the trick! The GUI opens and everything seems good to go! Hopefully I can get my other problem fixed up, but I have a work-around for that, that IS working!

Thanks a ton fellas!