PDA

View Full Version : Hullo, person!

alex zonder
06-29-2007, 12:10 PM
OK I'm working on a song that is meant to be a little birthday present to a friend who'll be 40 this August. I wanted to do something with his lifelong artistic favorites: the writer Nabokov and the 'Berlin' cooperation between Bowie and Eno on Low and Heroes. I share the admirations btw but he's REALLY fanatic about them.:)

On the song I read the opening passage of Nabokov's novella Transparant Things, while the music - well, I'm not able to come anywhere near to that Eno/Bowie sound of the late seventies. :D And my English may sound rather non-native, but so did Nabokov's English ;)

Yet I did my best - but could need some advice before finishing it, especially on what to do with the second part (more text; just cut it; synths out; new guitar parts?). No use however to propose chord changes; the thing is meant to be a one chord piece.

The MP3 (all was done in REAPER) can be downloaded here:
http://www.ifpost.com/ifpost/download/2438915674679678

tspring
06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry Alex,download isn't working for me.

T

alex zonder
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Uploaded it as well on YourFileHost.com, but since their download page appears to be all about ads for hot video sites, here's the direct download (or play) link. Hope it works.

Beware, it's a 7MB file and you may hate it... :)

http://38.119.88.14/dl/d6d38ebf350f6496e5b8acd758fc6a39/4685b920/audio/Hullo__person_.mp3

Jason Brian Merrill
06-29-2007, 08:29 PM
some interesting sounds in this one....

drove the cat crazy for sure, although not my style of music.

to be honest with you, i dont really know what to say about this, although i think you nailed the sound you were looking for :)

tspring
06-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Still can't download. Have you ever tried mediafire.com for file sharing? No popups, no annoying advertising, no signup required. I've load upto 40 MB files to share with no problem.

T

alex zonder
06-30-2007, 04:29 AM
T, I'm sorry but the mediafire site won't even load here... apparently we're on very different servers... now I uploaded it at Rapidshare, guessing that would work for you. Strange how the WWW is not as world wide as one would assume.

http://rapidshare.com/files/40207792/Hullo__person_.mp3.html

tspring
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Definitely an avant-garde feel to this. You've done a very credible job of balancing incipient harmonic chaos with just enough structure to keep the piece musical. You might consider boosting the volume of the vocal during the reading just a little. Your English is perfect, but it was hard for me to hear what was being said, assuming that you actually want the words to come through. Other than that I thought that the recording quality was excellent.

T

alex zonder
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks T for your response. I notice that spoken text is pretty difficult to combine with this sort of music; the advantage of singing being that words and sentences are stretched i.e. very slowly 'spoken'. Spoken words have short durations...

So I'm gonna redo the spoken text, think of an elegant solution, and write an arrangement for the last couples of beats.

likenokevin
07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
This is great. I'm totally feeling the Eno vibe. I wouldn't change a thing.

earlabs
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I like the song very much. It has a catchy tune, an exciting guitar part. The vocals are nicely embedded in the instrumentals. My connections: Bill Nelson, Eno (the whole), Fripp (the guitar), Bowie (diction and voice). It certainly makes me curious to hear more.

Alistair S
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Bill Nelson? Of Be Bop Deluxe? I haven't thought of them in years. So, he's still around, eh? Nice.

I enjoyed this Alex. Interesting stuff :)