PDA

View Full Version : Music + humor ... maybe... you be the judge

tspring
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm a little hesitant to post this, as it is definitely in a non-serious vein, and it is very easy for attempts at humor in music to be lame. But what the heck, it's an attempt at musical humor anyway. There is a rather chaotic underlying synth part that my son Shea programmed. Then there is a spoken word overlay that I added that is composed of fragments from the internet. The thematic spoken words are from a practical joke that was played by a radio station on an unsuspecting listener. Poor girl tried to call in to get a song played. The DJ sure did't make it easy. I added the multilingual babble in response to some ideas on the old N-track forum, but then got interested in the way that the natural rhythms in the different languages worked against the beat. The whole thing is a bit of nonsense, so approach it with an open mind. Maybe somebody will get a chuckle out of it.

Too much babble here already. To hear the music (?) goto http://www.soundclick.com/tspringer, select music, and then click on Bangkok II.

T

EDIT: Alex it's your fault that I posted this. I figured that you broke the ice for unusual recordings.

Rann
07-01-2007, 11:10 PM
T,
After several hours of struggling to get an idea down on disk, this was a nice break. The synths sounded really good, but "Flexfunk" and "What Duffy Felt" were my favs. :) I gravitate towards acoustic guitars and I really liked the tone that you had on WDF.

Thanks,
r

alex zonder
07-02-2007, 05:25 AM
well T I'm glad your posting was my fault :)

how great to work with your son on this music! Mine will be 3 years old later this year, so far he's only messing up my cables and stuff, but I'd love to make music with him in 10 years or so... I do already record songs with my 5-years old daughter whose voice is a sound from a lost paradise... (as most childrens' voices are)

great stuff, the T-spring music! I do like the Bangkok piece best, very good use of the samples (the small radio conversation confusion easily gets universal meaning in such a setting... :) ). It reminded me of some Holger Hiller things, the great former frontman of the now legendary German band Palais Schaumburg. ( http://profile.myspace.com/holgerhiller )

Since the stuff this Bangkok dream is made of is fairly ephemeric I guess the song would become stronger, with two feet on the ground, when Shea would put a clear and heavy bassline in it - by way of contrast. Yoo might remember the early Tuxedomoon stuff (the great Desire album): their unforgettable basslines kept all their experiments together. :)

But it all sounds very playful, lots of fun, and you did a lovely sounding and moving little piece with Annie's song.

tspring
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys.

Rann, the microphones used to record the acoustic guitar on "What Duffey Felt" are super inexpensive, but I'm really liking them. I'll start another thread about them I think. Glad you liked the songs.

Alex, it really is a huge pleasure to record with my son. Generally, he is a better musician than I am (10 years classical guitar training, and can play anything on guitar; plays bass; drums; trumpet; and keyboards a little), but we are close enough both skill-wise and personality-wise to really enjoy working together. We tend to like the same stuff musically too, and are both obsessed with recording. Of course, I'm the one who got him started in music and recording in the first place. I hope that you are lucky enough to be able to do music and to record with your son and daughter too. It is highly rewarding.

I'm glad you liked the Bangkok thingy. I'll see what Shea thinks about adding a more continuous bass line. I think that it's a good idea. Problem is, there are about a dozen songs in the writing/recording que right now. We get things started but are having trouble finishing. He is doing an intership as an industrial designer in Boston this summer, and is extremely occupied. I have deadlines... time has gotten scarce.

The stuff by Hogerhiller is cool - he sits right between pure electronica performers like Aphex twin and more vocally oriented performers, doesn't he? I suspect Shea will like this. Thanks for pointing him out.

T

Rann
07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
T,
I'm looking forward to the article. I hope I didn't give the impression that Bangkok II was lacking in any way , I just re-read my comments and realized that it could have been taken that way. It's a fun and different (in a good way) kind of tune. :)

r

Mike1
07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi!
Music for me is the first language of my brain. I wake up and sometimes I start to think. Then I translate the ideas in MIDI and print notes. And musicians should play it. But it does not work in a theme about women. Here my ideas about irrational nature of women and my mutual relations (only GM):

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/26663/Sunday.mp3

Musicians cannot play so quickly. But I cannot be erection for a long time. Your ideas for slow tempo except masturbation? Maybe Alex knows slow examples of this theme?

Best regards,
Michael.

tspring
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Mike1,

What a hoot!

Well, I can't see why that little piece of music wouldn't charm any woman right into your arms. Except that maybe they will realize that you are a very troubled lad... Hey some women go for that too!?!

But, your questions are clearly delving into an area where I have absolutely no expertise. I'm sure that Alex can give you deep and profound advice on these topics though.

Seriously, thanks for the posting. I really got a kick out of that. Perhaps some other humorous stuff is out there that other folks will post. A bunch of postings could make a cool thread.

T

Mike1
07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Ha! It only a joke! And women only an occasion for Music creation!

Michael ;)

alex zonder
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm sure that Alex can give you deep and profound advice on these topics though.

Yes, I could. Being erections, slow tempi except masturbations and slow examples of themes have been my favorite issues since I just reread this thread. :)

tspring
07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
T,
I I hope I didn't give the impression that Bangkok II was lacking in any way , I just re-read my comments and realized that it could have been taken that way.

r

I didn't take it that way. Anyway, constructive criticism ought to be encouraged in a collaboration forum.

My cat never criticizes my music, but he isn't my favorite audience.

When I post something it is either because I am interested in hearing other peoples honest thoughts (pro and con) or I just want to share something. The back and forth discussion on the merit of an idea or performance is the whole point. I suspect most people that post here will be of similar opinion.

By the way Rann, you come across as a very considerate person.

T

Yaz
07-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Yo T! This is excellant! Just listened to 'Duffy' great tune!
Loved the acoustic guitars! Now I have more tunes to listen to! Awsum!