PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't sleep last night.

naturalbridge
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Made this: http://soundcloud.com/threeseas/its-a-wonder

Was more of an experiment than anything else. Any and all criticism welcome.

dea-man
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Certainly unique, creative and fun.

A Pink Floydish feeling in the vocals at time. Good use of keyboards in the solo section. Some trippy sounds.

Nice. Very interesting.

naturalbridge
08-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the nice words. Not sure how I feel about it, but it was fun to get away from guitar-based songwriting.

I’ll have to go listen to The Wall or something now, cuz I haven’t listened to Floyd since I synced up DSOTM with the Wizard of Oz when I was 13.

dea-man
08-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the nice words. Not sure how I feel about it, but it was fun to get away from guitar-based songwriting.

I’ll have to go listen to The Wall or something now, cuz I haven’t listened to Floyd since I synced up DSOTM with the Wizard of Oz when I was 13.

I was really referring to early Pink Floyd around "Echoes", or "Obscured by Clouds".

I'll have to check out something else by you, to see the contrast/departure from your usual music.

I tried, "Something or Other". Again, I was really attracted to the vocal sound. Very laid back. Again, I like the use of your vocals as an instrument. And again, cool use of keyboards in the solo section. Good stuff! It's got a great sense of "space".

Checked out, "Box Social", too. Charming, simply charming. I really like your music. Your music also reminds me of Alan Parsons, Eye In The Sky, type stuff.

You're very creative with your sounds and I like that very much. Inventive, drawing outside of the lines.

Very good. Well done.

naturalbridge
08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Ah, gotcha. I’m not too familiar with early Floyd, or Alan Parsons. Will have to check that out.

And again thanks for the very kind words. I’m still sorta feeling my way towards my own sound and my own voice, I think. But it’s been a fun process.

dea-man
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
..it's really good. Keep going, please!

zeekat
08-05-2012, 01:39 AM
This is pretty good, in modern electro-pop sort of way. Very catchy, like the little synth solo too.

(I've seen Royksopp live a week ago and kinda appreciate this direction in music)

A Was An Archer
08-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Definitely like it. Obviously because I started following you on SoundCloud. There are points where I agree with the early Pink Floyd reference, as well as Alan Parsons Project. Other bits remind me a bit of some of Steve Kilbey's (the Church) solo stuff, like around the breakdown around 1:00 in. Interesting that you did this because you couldn't sleep. How long did it take you? I wouldn't know the first thing about how to get a song like this from soup to nuts in a late night.

Liked the other tracks you have up as well. Despite the one I have up, I'm more into the shoegazy type sound. I assume the "Death Metal" tag on "I will live to see the spring again" is tongue-in-cheek?

naturalbridge
08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
How long did it take you? I wouldn't know the first thing about how to get a song like this from soup to nuts in a late night.

Liked the other tracks you have up as well. Despite the one I have up, I'm more into the shoegazy type sound. I assume the "Death Metal" tag on "I will live to see the spring again" is tongue-in-cheek?

Took me about two hours, I think. Just sat down at the laptop and I built it kinda modular-ly, just letting things go where they may, and trying not to over-think it. It was a fun way to try to make a song, letting it sorta flow out of you as opposed to sitting down with a song, or some ideas.

And yeah, I’m an idiot and put stupid tags on things.

naturalbridge
08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
And thanks for the nice words everyone and the follows on soundcloud. Followed y’all back.

STILL WAITING ON SOMEONE TO TELL ME I SUCK AT SINGING.

But I’ll take compliments, too.

A Was An Archer
08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Took me about two hours, I think. Just sat down at the laptop and I built it kinda modular-ly, just letting things go where they may, and trying not to over-think it. It was a fun way to try to make a song, letting it sorta flow out of you as opposed to sitting down with a song, or some ideas.

I'm amazed that it only took two hours. Granted it's short, but I end up spending weeks (one hour a day) mixing my stuff. If I may ask, what VSTi were you using? Just curious as I'm only beginning to dabble with them beyond JamStix, that is. If it's a trade secret, no worries.

In any case, as to your voice, I can't say that it sucks. I do prefer it in the higher register, but I can understand the benefit of having both high and low registers in this song. It simply works.

Good on yah. Here's to more sleepless, productive nights!

James HE
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
potentially great production here.

I think.... too many voices. I just feel it wants to be more minimal - and the vocal a bit more obscured.

Been listening to too much Bon Iver I guess.... don't mind me.. lol

naturalbridge
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm amazed that it only took two hours. Granted it's short, but I end up spending weeks (one hour a day) mixing my stuff. If I may ask, what VSTi were you using? Just curious as I'm only beginning to dabble with them beyond JamStix, that is. If it's a trade secret, no worries.

In any case, as to your voice, I can't say that it sucks. I do prefer it in the higher register, but I can understand the benefit of having both high and low registers in this song. It simply works.

Good on yah. Here's to more sleepless, productive nights!

No trade secrets here. The drums are Addictive Drums Reel Machines expansion. Piano is PianoOne (free). Synth1 (free) provided me with the synth sounds in the beginning, bass sound, and the synth solo at the end. I think Olga is in there somewhere. The free TAL plugs are all over the mix (reverb, tube, delay). FreeAlpha provided some of the other synth sounds.

I think that’s about it, really. Maybe I used ReaEQ a bit. And no fx on the master buss.

naturalbridge
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
potentially great production here.

I think.... too many voices. I just feel it wants to be more minimal - and the vocal a bit more obscured.

Been listening to too much Bon Iver I guess.... don't mind me.. lol

I hear that. Probably could cut some of the vocals, or go back and record better versions with lyrics that weren’t made up on the spot.

naturalbridge
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Another song I’m working on that is in a similar vein. It’s still pretty rough but I figured I’d post it and see if anyone has any advice or critiques.

https://www.box.com/s/c67821eb421f8e553e74