PDA

View Full Version : a rough cut of some sound design stuff

gwok
09-17-2012, 01:31 AM
posting this now as I don't think I'll be able to get to a re-edit very soon. It's a work in progress, just started this afternoon, though I figured I'd post for kicks - feedback welcome - enjoy

http://vimeo.com/49581177

Artbay
09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
posting this now as I don't think I'll be able to get to a re-edit very soon. It's a work in progress, just started this afternoon, though I figured I'd post for kicks - feedback welcome - enjoy

http://vimeo.com/49581177cool sounds :) what's the vid from/for?

gwok
09-20-2012, 11:20 AM
cool sounds :) what's the vid from/for?

thanks man, the content is for a live rave type show we do. We run ableon live and send out all sorts of information (osc, midi) to the video setup, and try to do as much performing of the material as possible. Though we are changing direction a bit from having lots of audio devices generating audio (drum machines, synths etc) within ableton. Now were focusing on creating content "offline" that is in sync, be it a beat or something like that video there.

That video object can be morphed live by the audio amplitude\spectrum amplitude\midi notes\my audio controllers.

for the audio, i orginally went with live synths etc etc for maximum tweakage live. Though this has its shortcoming in some ways, as things start to get boxed in, and making a new tune becomes a horrendous maze of program changes, presets etc etc.

so making stuff offline, highly in sync is what were trying now. To start with, I'll probably just be triggering various clips in live, though eventually move more into playing the actual sounds\beats. This has the advantage of being able to make way cooler shit, with the disadvatage of less tweakability live - though that may change over time

i'll be posting more of these, did one to a drum beat the other day which turned out really cool :)

gwok
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
The video app developers (TouchDesigner) posted a short writeup:
(http://www.facebook.com/TouchDesigner)

To put it mildly, this short piece is quite staggering so we got a little background before sharing. Very, very interesting as it turns out. From Keith and Greg Lostracco of The Summit, this video is a brief glimpse of a larger project Trypta, a live electronic music/visuals act the brothers are putting together. Here’s what Keith had to say:

“The video aspect of the fractal animation on Vimeo was entirely produced in TouchDesigner in real-time. Recently I've been getting into 3D fractals and found I was able to port and modify a GLSL Distance Estimation raytrace rendering engine created by Mikael Christensen (designer of the fractal software Fragmentarium) into TouchDesigner. I then used a fractal formula written by Fractal Forums members Buddhi and Kali for the animation. The entire video was generated by 1 GLSL TOP connected to a level TOP (for the fade in and out).

To produce the video with the sound I created an animation with the animation component in TouchDesigner, rendered it and sent it to Greg. He then made a sound sequence that went with the video using Reaper with various plugins and sound sources. Then I took the sound file into TouchDesigner, modified and fined tuned the animation to match the sound and rendered it.

At one point once Malcolm adds some new functionality to the GLSL TOP, Matt Wachter (another TouchDesigner forum member who builds awesome UI's) and I will be uploading a version of fractal component to share with others.” Check it out, mind blowing!