PDA

View Full Version : song contest entry

CtrlAltDel
09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
This is a first draft for a North Carolina song contest.

My goal is short and sweet for judges attention span

Comments for final version appreciated

Thanks, Mark

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=798168&songID=11898115

Boray
09-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Most song contest have a rule that you can't play the song in public before the contest. So you could be breaking that rule here now... if they have it.

CtrlAltDel
09-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I checked rules and didn;t see that mentioned. Thx for the heads up tho!

camerondye
09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Nice job, the recording sounds very nice and you have a nice voice. I also have a Taylor 514ce and live in NC too There are a couple of pitchy spots in the recording, nothing terrible but something you'd want right on the final version though. The only suggestion might be having some background vocals and maybe some percussion but nothing too much because part of the charm is the basicness of the track. Nice job on everything...

Give us some details on what you used (mics, preamps...etc) to record everything if you get a minute.

CtrlAltDel
09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Thx for the listen and critique. Yeah there's no do overs on this one, will tighten up on next one hopefully.

i tried harmonies but the sweet spots on this tune are near my range limit already.

Recording chain for guitar: LDC mic (an old AM51 alesis groove tube) close mic'd off the 10th fret or so, into focusrite saffire pre, into Reaper

Same mic and pre for vocal

2 tracks with eq and reaverb

I usually X/Y stereo mic this taylor with small dia/cond pair but for draft I went with easy setup. I liked the bass response I got with the drop D tuning and LDC. Will probably use same setup again or spaced pair with LDC and SDC. dunno

Wolffman
09-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Very nice sound, both guitar and vocals.
This reminded me instantly of James Taylor, thats not a bad thing btw :)

Good luck with the song comp

Cheers

Cosmic
09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Thats a lovely lovely song.It sounds great..

..if it was my mix..I'd compress the vocals a little bit add a smidgen of air in the eq..but this one sounds lovely.

Good luck man!Let us know how you get on!

plgrmsprgrs
09-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Nice writing and technical work all 'round. Especially liked the imagery in the bridge. Sounds like a contender for sure!

Kyle

Jorgen
09-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Best of luck. Beautiful song, voice too.

Fictional Substance
09-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Excellent! Best of luck.

CtrlAltDel
09-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey thx ALL for the comments and tips!

re compression: I agree. Was thinking about adding a tad of multiband to the final mix but may try on vocal for comparison

There's a boat load of entrys so... I'll post back if I place

Mark

karbomusic
09-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I also have a Taylor 514ce and live in NC too

Taylor 814ce and Charlotte, NC here. :) Did a log of cover gigs in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area in the 90s. (Charlie Goodnights, Cantina, He's Not Here and a few other places).