PDA

View Full Version : newer song

schitz8
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
hi guys this is another reaper only song [no sleep] ive added for your critique and suggestions
http://soundcloud.com/drc-7
thanks
D'arcy

tspring
11-29-2012, 09:13 AM
D'Arcy, I like the song a lot. All the instrumental parts sit nicely and have really sweet sounds. Singing is great too. A few comments regarding the recording come to mind. For my taste, the vocal is little too "crispy" (lots of high frequency content or maybe it is a processing that you used?)- it seems to me that the vocal would suit better if it had a more natural sound. No doubt the next person who listens will have exactly the opposite opinion, but hey, you asked for opinions. Pretty heavy reverb on the snare makes the drums sound seem a bit artificial. If that is what you were going for you got it. Again, my personal taste leans toward a more natural sound. It is probably strange for an old fart like me to say this, but to my ear, an overly polished, glossy, recording style can sound dated.

This is a great song supported by excellent performance. All my quibbles are based on personal taste, and you shouldn't really consider my suggestions as criticisms. I am just trying to supply some food for thought.

T

schitz8
11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
thanks tspring
from one old fart[i'm probably an older fart than you]to another
i appreciate you taking the time to listen
and i agree with most of the things you pointed out
the drums are a steven slate preset that i never played around with and in hindsight i have taken another listen and brought the level down over all especially on the ride cymbal
the vocals would be better more natural and because i'm no vocalist i usually fall into the trap of overprocessing
less haste in trying to finish things off would help in my case.
ive found that listening through a set of ear buds brings up a lot of inconsistancies that are not as noticeable when using monitors
thanks again for your comments
D'arcy

LOSANO
11-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Good job! You have produced a professional quality. What did you used beside Reaper?

schitz8
11-29-2012, 06:36 PM
thanks losano
i used steven slate drums played in on an old roland e kit.
the rocket compressor, "schwas"cmx plugin, reatune, m30 reverb,waves gtr solo,toontracks latin kit and i have a joe meek one q preamp that came with a joe meek condensor mike[jmp i think] and the 24 bit stereo render was put through t-racks mastering suite
thanks again for listening
D'arcy

DigiDis
11-30-2012, 01:03 AM
The vocal sound you had for "I'm still missing you" was perfect, as well as the sound of the whole mix. Why not keep close to that sound and call it "your sound?" This latest song sounds washed out with reverb and some other effect like chorusing or flanging. I might suggest to trade some reverb for delay to bring the vocal up front more and lose the effect that is smearing the vocal.

I typically stay very far away from pop music, but I have to say "I'm still missing you" is a great song that I can listen to over and over again. Send that to a label!

mixnar
11-30-2012, 03:35 AM
I like your songs, guitarplaying and voice. My only suggestion is that the drums could do with less fills, I find it a bit restless to listen to now. The songs don't need it, I think a steady beat with sometimes an easy fill will keep the listener more focused at the voice and melodies.

The drum parts sound like you really enjoy playing them! I recognise that, but the results are often too busy, the same thing happens to me. Loads of fun playing it, but a bit tiring to listen to it. So keep up making these nice songs, but perhaps go easy on the drums!

But remember, this is only my opinion...

Greetings, Mixnar

schitz8
11-30-2012, 04:02 AM
thanks to both digidis and mixnar for your comments they are very much appreciated.
as i said in reply to tspring i was too hasty in trying to get this one finished and should have taken more time in refining it.and i agree that the drums are if not a little too busy but too unbalanced and too far up in the mix
i must admit i spent a lot more time on "missing you" than any of the others.
thanks again for taking the time to listen i am really happy to get this type of feedback
cheers
D'arcy

schitz8
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
hi guys here's a "social comment" song [just do nothing] for your views and opinions done totally in reaper
thanks in advance
D'arcy
http://soundcloud.com/drc-7

OpIvy
01-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Listening to 'no sleep' and it sounds great.
I disagree about the vox- I think they suit the song really well but of course, personal opinion