PDA

View Full Version : Automation to insert FX?

mschuster
08-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi - this is my first post. I got turned onto Reaper from my VS Roland forum a few weeks ago. Ever since, I fall more in love with it everyday...

I have a vocal track that I'd like to "turn on" a vocoder plug part way through the song for just one phrase and then turn it off. I looked through the user's manual - and tried a few things with the track's envelope automation - but can't seem to figure this out. Is it possible? I only see volume and pan envelope types.

If there is way, could someone please fill me in?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Limeflavour
08-03-2007, 11:49 PM
If you right click the envelope -> Fx Parameters -> "your vocoder", there should be an option to automate the bypass of the plugin.
I'm not used to vocoders but I think that should work. ;)

bigwoody
08-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Envelopes work great but here is another option to think about. If it is just one place in the track that you want the effect, you can make can copy just that segment and paste it to a new track, then insert your effect on that track and you are all set.
Both options can work really well depending on the complexity of each. I find that if I am already using some FX and envelopes on the track that it is easier to isolate and individual piece as described. As usual lots of ways to do the same thing, just a personal preference thing.....

mschuster
08-04-2007, 12:17 PM
thanks for those ideas!

the "bypass" automation worked. i had to play with it a little - but the trick was to keep the checkbox next to the vocoder VST checked, or "on", all the time - even AFTER performing the automation. last night when it wasn't working - i was turning it off after i automated thinking the automation would "re-check" the box in the FX chain during playback (read).

i am really diggin' this software..

thanks again.
mark