PDA

View Full Version : In need of control.

simpic
01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi all,

Its the first time I have posted anything on reaper forum but thought I would as I realise there are some experienced musicians and producers on here. So I finished this song yesterday and really just want people's general opinions on it, more production than whether its your style of music. All feedback is really appreciated as its good to learn from any wise owls on here.

https://soundcloud.com/simalyne/in-need-of-control

Thanks

Simon

megalodon
01-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Don't know how to get it to play....

fiddler1
01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Don't know how to get it to play....

Remove the "M" from the url and it will play..

Its linked to soundcloud mobile site..

msore
01-15-2013, 09:00 AM
I was immediately engaged by the noisy gurgling intro turning into something urbanish. I am thinking at .50 that the guitar is too much in the background. A just after a minute the percussion transition is great.

I keep wanting the vocal to come up out of the swamp.
The transition at 2.00 was rather dull and not as fun as the first until I waited and heard the 2.20 addition of the two-note slide phrase, and then the 2.52 addition of the high pad. All those elements together - and the buildup - shows real musical and recording acuity.

At 3.23 another nicely constructed transition. At 3.40 the voice FINALLY comes up front. I am still very interested in what you will be doing in context of what you have been doing, and liking what is going on steadily.

My preference generally is for traditional song/ballad compositions, with lots of chords and changes, but I have a soft spot for well-done moody modal drone-y pieces. Yours has a lot of music in it.

The ending was abrupt but I liked it except that the final fade should have been kept longer.

thanks very much

G-Sun
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Well done :)

simpic
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I have changed the link from the mobile soundcloud so should play now :)

simpic
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I was immediately engaged by the noisy gurgling intro turning into something urbanish. I am thinking at .50 that the guitar is too much in the background. A just after a minute the percussion transition is great.

I keep wanting the vocal to come up out of the swamp.
The transition at 2.00 was rather dull and not as fun as the first until I waited and heard the 2.20 addition of the two-note slide phrase, and then the 2.52 addition of the high pad. All those elements together - and the buildup - shows real musical and recording acuity.

At 3.23 another nicely constructed transition. At 3.40 the voice FINALLY comes up front. I am still very interested in what you will be doing in context of what you have been doing, and liking what is going on steadily.

My preference generally is for traditional song/ballad compositions, with lots of chords and changes, but I have a soft spot for well-done moody modal drone-y pieces. Yours has a lot of music in it.

The ending was abrupt but I liked it except that the final fade should have been kept longer.

thanks very much

Hi msore, thanks for the time to reply. You have made some good points there and its interesting to get a detailed insight to what you think of it. I have always had an issue with my vocals and seam to drop them back in a mix, i know it isn't good to do that but its difficult finding the balance especially when its your own voice:)

simpic
01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Well done :)