PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: syncing drum loop to previously recorded track

Scooter
08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
I've been lurking here for a while but I'm a relative newbie to DAW recording. I have what I think may be a pretty basic question - I've done some searching of this forum but I haven't happened upon a simple straightforward answer.

I'm a guitar player, so I often start a song idea by noodling on my guitar. Is there a way in Reaper for me to record a guitar track and then load a drum loop and have it sync to the tempo of my original performance (which may not be locked to an exact, consistent tempo)?

I'd appreciate any advice, or direction to a thread, resource, or section of the user's guide that would explain this.

Thanks!

IXix
08-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Select a bar of your playing, hit Alt+Shift+C. Repeat until end of song. There's a few ancient post about doing this stuff but I couldn't find them.

Scooter
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Nobody likes a newbie. ;>)

I've been lurking here for a while but I'm a relative newbie to DAW recording. I have what I think may be a pretty basic question - I've done some searching of this forum but I haven't happened upon a simple straightforward answer.

I'm a guitar player, so I often start a song idea by noodling on my guitar. Is there a way in Reaper for me to record a guitar track and then load a drum loop and have it sync to the tempo of my original performance (which may not be locked to an exact, consistent tempo)?

I'd appreciate any advice, or direction to a thread, resource, or section of the user's guide that would explain this.

Thanks!

Scooter
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Oops! Can a moderator please move this post to the "Newbieland" forum? Didn't even notice it was there...

pipelineaudio
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
going now

Might want to try and figure out a basic tempo and edit your guitar part to it. Or rerecord with the metronome on.

TONDOG64
08-08-2007, 07:09 PM
This is very simple. Record with a metronome while "noodling" then just paste your loops into the project along with the guitar tracks. They will line up perfectly, assuming you played it well to begin with. You can also change the tempo of everything without a hitch. Childsplay.

Scooter
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all who have replied.

I wasn't very clear in my original post. What I'm wondering is whether there is some way for Reaper or an external editor to "sense" the tempo and sync the drum loop to that tempo.

In other words I'd just like to play spontaneously without setting a metronome to a predetermined tempo, and then afterwards be able to instruct Reaper to detect the tempo and I could work from there.

Is this a pipe dream or is it possible to do?

IXix
08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
You can't do it automatically (yet!) but the ALT+SHIFT+C ('Measure tempo from selection') method works a treat. It just takes a while to make a tempo map for a whole track. Since I was a little vague in my last post, I'll elaborate:

1. Set the loop selection to fit the first bar of your music.
2. Press ALT+SHIFT+C. Reaper will measure the tempo by assuming that the loop selection represents one bar of music and drop in tempo markers accordingly.
3. Set the loop selection to the next bar and repeat step two. Continue until you run out of song.

You should probably explore the various ways of manipulating the loop selection to find the method that suits you best. I split the item into one bar chunks first (using Tab to next transient and split item under cursor) then work through them (there's a set loop selection to selected items action but you need to assign a key since it dosn't have one by default.) You could probably set up a macro to speed up the process a little. If you don't want to split the actual audio item, make a copy on a new track, use that to set up the markers then delete the track when you're done.

Hope that helps.

IXix
08-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Oops! Got so wrapped up in the tempo sync bit I didn't notice you were talking about fitting a drum loop. What I said before still applies but you'll need to time-stretch your loop to fit the one bar sections by holding ALT and dragging the right edge of the loop item.

IXix
08-09-2007, 07:38 AM
I might also point out that if you're not interested in syncing up tempo based effects or midi then you could skip the tempo mapping part and just stretch the loop items to fit.

My brain is stuck in 2nd gear today. :D

RokkD
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
You can't do it automatically (yet!) but the ALT+SHIFT+C ('Measure tempo from selection') method works a treat. It just takes a while to make a tempo map for a whole track. Since I was a little vague in my last post, I'll elaborate:

1. Set the loop selection to fit the first bar of your music.
2. Press ALT+SHIFT+C. Reaper will measure the tempo by assuming that the loop selection represents one bar of music and drop in tempo markers accordingly.
3. Set the loop selection to the next bar and repeat step two. Continue until you run out of song.

You should probably explore the various ways of manipulating the loop selection to find the method that suits you best. I split the item into one bar chunks first (using Tab to next transient and split item under cursor) then work through them (there's a set loop selection to selected items action but you need to assign a key since it dosn't have one by default.) You could probably set up a macro to speed up the process a little. If you don't want to split the actual audio item, make a copy on a new track, use that to set up the markers then delete the track when you're done.

Hope that helps.

Sounds good.....but I can't make head nor tail of it.

If I insert a noodle track with a tempo of around 80-85bpm, into an empty project, after making the selection and then hovering over the transport, reaper tells me the loop selection indicates 60 or 120bpm, and ditto with the tempo markers, which is my default project bpm. I played around with this quite sometime ago with some success, but seem to have forgotten it.

The only thing I can come up with, is to play back the song, and tap out the tempo on the bpm in the transport, this will at least get you in the ballpark, then play around with some drumloops, and try to line them up visually.

...oh yeah, and from now on throw in a beat before you do any serious noodling ..:)

--

--

J Kennedy
08-09-2007, 06:19 PM
This may be off the mark a bit, but doesn't Jamstix allow you to create drum patterns and sync the midi clock to a variable audio signal? I have the program but haven't experimented with this part of it yet, so don't know how well it works.

John K

(release of ver 2 set for Aug 20 if they're still on track)

J Kennedy
08-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Gregh,

Think you're right (darn it).

John

Alistair S
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
This thread might help a bit.. http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10141&highlight=match+beat

It's semi-automated anyway .. you just need to tap in time.