PDA

View Full Version : Reaper on Linux

PhilR
08-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Hello all. I run Ubuntu Linux on my home PC with Reaper running under Wine. So far it seems to run pretty well. This is a mix I threw together the other night using tracks from some mixcontest song I found at homerecording.org, it's an old-school rock/metal kinda track. The only plugs used were the Cockos bundle.

http://www.flatnet.net/files/children.mp3

PhilR
08-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Another one for your consideration. ;)

http://www.flatnet.net/files/out_of_tune-left_hand_dialectics.mp3

These tracks were mixed on my bedroom stereo so they probably ain't a patch on what could be done through the studio Adam P11's but hey, gotta make do with what I've got. It's all fun anyway.

I was running 4 instances of Simulanalog's JCM9000 emulator on this song. Combined with the gating, compression and reverb on the drums that would have probably brought the studio PC to it's knees! (Needs updating) but I don't think Reaper breached the 30% mark. Dual core CPU's rock the house, but remember this isn't even running as native code!

Tallisman
08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
i wish I had the time to learn linux.
If reaper goes native. I will probably make the time.

gr
t.

rutmang
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey Phil,

Are you able to zoom in and out vertically without the track control panel coming out of alignment with the track lanes? I can't do this regardless of clicking on the side scrollbar or using the keyboard shortcut, or using the vdesk winecfg metasymbol recommended.

Is there a work around, or am I strange zooming in and out all the time? :)

thanks!

PhilR
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey rutmang

Yeah I have the same problem you describe. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out though as I never really use vertical zoom.

rutmang
08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks. Glad to know it wasn't just me. Just tried with crossover and got the same thing.

xsonar
09-21-2007, 10:23 PM
audio i/o ect

j

PhilR
09-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Nothing special as this isn't a machine set up for audio work. The soundcard is some 25 nameless job with a Yamaha chipset that I picked up nearly 6 years ago. The PC is a Dual-core Pentium with 1Gb of RAM.

xsonar
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
m-audio has this info on there website

Delta 1010

Version:

Release Date: April 19, 2004

Applies to:
Delta 1010, Delta 1010LT, Delta 410, Delta 44, Delta 66, Delta Audiophile 2496, Delta DiO 2496, Delta RBUS, RPC-1

Operating System(s):
Linux/UNIX

Release Notes:
M-Audio uses a 3rd Party Vendor for Unix support. 4Front Technologies
develops and supports UNIX drivers for the Revolution and Delta Series of Products. The software is available for free evaluation and non-profit use but 4Front charges a fee for technical support and commercial use. They can be found at the following web address:

http://www.opensound.com

One day when I feel like loosing more sleep than I do on most days I set one up with a 44 or a 66 delta card and post results.

I am sure it would fly!

j

StudioDave
09-24-2007, 04:33 AM
m-audio has this info on there website
One day when I feel like loosing more sleep than I do on most days I set one up with a 44 or a 66 delta card and post results.

I am sure it would fly!

I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. However, just to note: the ALSA kernel sound system also supports the M-Audio Delta systems. I have two studio machines that have Delta 66 cards (one has the Omni I/O box as well), both run Linux and the ALSA sound drivers for the Deltas. And yes, those boxes are fast. :)

The driver your post refers to is by 4Front Technologies. The guys at 4Front were pioneers in Linux sound system development, but they eventually lost the edge to ALSA. Their systems are good, especially re: installation, but that's become a no-brainer now with ALSA in the kernel.

xsonar
09-24-2007, 07:51 AM
That info came from m-audio's website on the driver page.
Will the cards "plug and play" at this time. My friend is always pushing for me to test this area. He is a developer on some level,
way above my thinking.

Will Ubuntu work fine then?

j

StudioDave
09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Will the cards "plug and play" at this time.

Yes, hardware detection may be better on Linux now than it is with Windows. I did have to raise channel levels on my soundcard mixer, ALSA mutes the mixer channels by default on first run. Your settings can be saved and restored on subsequent boots.

I also had to set an option for the Omni I/O support in my JAD system. Very simple with JAD's sound configurator.

Will Ubuntu work fine then?

I can't say from experience, but it is a popular distribution. You should search the forum for "Ubuntu" and check what users here have to report.

I'm using JAD on my 32-bit machine, 64 Studio on the 64-bit box. Both work beautifully, but wineasio support is available only for 32-bit systems.

xsonar
09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks,
looks like I have another project.

j

This Forum ROCKS!

4damind
09-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I tested several things with Ubuntu (realtime-kernel, Wineasio, Reaper and a lot of VSTs) and also with OpenSuSE (JAD)

<2ms of latency is no problem with Linux!
The same project, same plugins on XP are running without crackles only at 256 samples (better are 384), thats about 5-8ms latency.
And this with my Delta1010.

Linux is better in the threading and far better for realtime-stuff like multimedia then Windows.
I'm so happy with Reaper on Linux, that I don't miss the UAD, Sonnox or Cubase4 on my Windows XP :P

4Front are the first people who brought sound to linux with OSS (opensound-system). But OSS is marked as deprecated from the kernel-developers since some years.
This days only for FreeBSD it makes sense to use the 4Front drivers (because ALSA only works on Linux and the FreeBSD soundsystem has only very poor support for soundcards).
Yes, and the commercial OSS-version is free since some month.

For Linux Alsa is the way with support for dozens of soundcards (also recording cards like RME or Delta1010, ESI...)

Reaper and Wineasio are the keys to bring Linux to musicians.
Many VSTs are working rock-stable, some not...
Here a short list for plugins I tested the last weeks:
VSTs with Linux and Reaper (http://homerecording.de/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=87550&forum=221)

xsonar
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
What vst's?

Dumb question here.

A windows .exe will or will not work with this App?

later
j

edit:just saw the vst link