PDA

View Full Version : MIDI notes won't trigger samples

namelessblob
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I hooked up an electronic drum kit via MIDI->USB cable to Reaper to track drums (don't have the mic/interface setup to capture an acoustic kit). I'm using Shortcircuit 1.whatever as my sampler, and have loaded up my drum samples.

The samples work fine when I rig up my MIDI controller and trigger them. However, they don't trigger during playback. Well, most of them don't; some trigger whenever they darn well please, and I can't figure out why...

Any help would be appreciated.

Nip
04-26-2013, 12:56 AM
When you say "hook up midi controller" is that the edrum unit or a regular keyboard?

I'm thinking mapping - that you may find the keys on keyboard that triggers but your pads send on other notes?

Other things that matter in sampler:

1. notes can often be marked as drum or oneshot samples - meaning they only act on note_on, not expecting a note_off. Always play until the end.

So how many voices are allowed sounding at the same time matters.

Certain modes may block new note_on while playing already.

2. Duration of notes - look in midi editor what your recorded notes look like?

I had trouble with samplers not properly triggering if notes are too short. Pretty much as you described - sometime it plays sometimes not.

I used a midi processor/plugin to ensure notes become at least 40 ticks long, then it worked.

Edrum engine usually has a setting for note_off, how long until it's sent - making up the duration of the notes.

My former pads did not have this setting - so I had to use a midi plugin to make them longer, 40 ticks as I mentioned.

a few things...