PDA

View Full Version : Can U Run Two Motu 828 's with Reaper ?

JLegnon
05-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi , I'm thinking of getting two (Original MK1) Motu 828's so I can have 16 ins and outs .

Has anyone had success running one Motu 828 through Firewire and the other 828 connected through ADAT as the Slave ?

serr
05-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi , I'm thinking of getting two (Original MK1) Motu 828's so I can have 16 ins and outs .

Has anyone had success running one Motu 828 through Firewire and the other 828 connected through ADAT as the Slave ?

<del>Why wouldn't you just run them both as interfaces (as an aggregate device)?</del>

Well, duh because it doesn't have word clock I/O... Sorry about that!

I don't think the internal cuemix is evolved enough in the mk1 units to route the analog inputs to the ADAT output. That would be what you would need to make that work.

You could still plug them in and make an aggregate device but you would have sync issues without the word clock connection and would not have a usable system.

TimOBrien
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM
If you have the 2nd one connected thru adat, they should just show up as one 16 channel device.
That's how adat works, as a slave to the master device.

Motu's drivers also allow you to daisy-chain 4 sets together as one big device, btw....

serr
05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
If you have the 2nd one connected thru adat, they should just show up as one 16 channel device.
That's how adat works, as a slave to the master device.
No way. The MOTU would need to be able to route the digitized signals from the analog inputs to the ADAT output. This early model doesn't have the internal digital mixer to do this. You can only mix the inputs to 2 channels (the stereo main out) with the mk1's cuemix. A single MOTU828 will always show up as an 18 channel input device with the optical input set to ADAT (or 12 with it set to TOSLINK). It has no ability to tell a 2nd device how to route signals to its ADAT output.
Motu's drivers also allow you to daisy-chain 4 sets together as one big device, btw....
If I recall, this will work at the lower sample rates - which you are restricted to in this older unit anyway. When this was made, we had OS9 and MOTU had a unique Mac only system. Now things are more standardized and we have Core Audio in OSX. The rule now is to sync multiple interfaces with word clock. But you can sometimes run an aggregate device of multiple units synced to one of the audio streams at the lower sample rates (44.1k & 48k).