PDA

View Full Version : Life, Yet Alive

EJ James
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
This is one of those songs that you start recording a bit here, a piece there, but end up letting it collect dust for a while. I started this one in early 2008 and then lost interest. In late 2009 I hooked up with a female fronted band with a similar style to Evanescence or Within Temptation and became inspired to finish it, so I knocked off the dust in early 2010 and started working on it again. Unfortunately the singers lyrical ability was just a tad more emo-goth than I wanted for this song (lyrics were WAY too dark and depressing), so the song remains semi-complete waiting to find a good lyricist/vocalist to help me actually complete it. Never really put it though the final mastering grinder either, so be gentle. :D

https://soundcloud.com/jamesststation/life-yet-alive

Influenced by Ben Moody's style. Tribal rhythmic drums complimented by orchestral synth and piano, accentuated by heavy hitting guitars. Be sure to wait for the interlude at 3:33. Kinda cool, if I say so myself. =)

Instruments Used: Schecter C7FR + Digitech GNX3, MusicMan Stingray 5 HH bass direct via Mackie mixer, Roland XP30, Roland Fantom G7 via Mackie mixer.

Audio Interface: M-Audio ProFire 610

EJ James
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Man, tough crowd. =)

So this one either sucks so bad that everyone is practicing the "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" adage, or it was just so mind-blowingly awesome that everyone who listened to it died on the spot when their head exploded from awesome-overload?

LOL

:D

kindafishy
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Cool track. I wouldn't have thought Evanescence if you hadn't said it. I would have thought maybe Faith No More. FNM may have been a big influence of Evanescence's though... would make sense since they really seem to be the godfathers of epic, melodic metal (at least I think of them like that).

Anyway, I like the counter melody between the bass and the synths in the mellower parts. The guitar leads in this section add another element of interest and don't overstay their welcome. Tasteful.

Nice little runs in between the guitar chords in the heavier sections. Again, I would describe these as tasteful.

Digging the bass tone. Nice and punchy. Good grind to it too. Trademark MM tone. Works really, really well for this style, as does the Schecter. Underrated guitars I think. I wouldn't mind grabbing myself a Hellraiser, and damn, I like the look of the Dan Donegan model, and that neck thru body configuration is something I've always liked. I used to have an old neck thru Ibanez. It was really light, but had really nice sustain.

jalan
06-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Hey, EJ. Just saw (heard) this. I dig the tune and can hear the Evanescence influence. I especially like the drop (to the 5th, I think) at 3:12. Caught me by surprise a bit.

I think everything has it's place and sits well in the mix. I like the clarity/tone of the bass, the keys, guitar, programming, etc. The only think that jumped out to me is that the drums seem a little thin (the snare in particular). Keep in mind I'm listening on cheap phones, though.

Overall, really cool track. Well done, sir!

martifingers
06-07-2013, 07:04 AM
I know what you mean about people not commenting - I too would rather a cold shower of reaction rather than silence. So....

I liked: the guitar sounds and playing (nicely chunky and convincing); the musical idea of replacing gradually the synth/piano (?) with the heavy guitar; the drop into the mellow section with a related variation of the chord progression.
I did not really get: why it took so long to get to the interlude and why the same guitar sound and feel came back. I felt as if I had been (musically) promised something and not received it. I yearned I suppose for a change or at least elaboration of the mood. You clearly have the musicality to do more.

It might be worth saying that I have just been listening to some of Mike Oldfield's old stuff and it amazes me how he will drop in a riff or melody line (often quite tasty) and then drop it within one or two repeats. And finally I may well not be your target demographic!

EJ James
06-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Great feedback guys. I *really* appreciate it. Definitely a couple of points I'll use in future mixes.

Having other enthusiasts reviewing your work is a great way to prevent living in a vacuum. I mix things to where they sound good to me, but if they sound like ass to others...really no point in it. It's nice to hear I'm on the right track.

Thanks again folks.

WynD
06-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I just got through listening to your song and WOW! That is very nice.
I really don't have any comments towards mixing or sound etc...
Other than I think the song sounds great to me.

WynD

Sambo Rouge
06-08-2013, 02:02 AM
EJ,

Very nice --- understated and very nice warm mix -- in other words it doesn't rip your ears off.

Even though its quite repetitive, I feel as if its got an underlying purpose of direction (if that doesn't sound too pretentious).

Enjoyed it.

EJ James
06-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks again guys.

As for the arrangement, most of my songs stick to a similar pattern.

The start by introducing an idea, then branch off into a heavier variation. Then they bring about a slight change in the same or complimentary key and use those for the verse and chorus. A bit later I throw in a change up as a prelude to an interlude, then back to the original theme to sort of bring is full circle.

The idea behind the arrangement for this song was based on a tragic moment in someones life. The first two verse and chorus demonstrated the every day goings on leading up to the event. The drop just prior to the interlude represents the violent change in the persons life, while the interlude itself is reflective of a period of healing. Ultimately they overcame the tragedy and life returned to normal, but they were stronger for having survived. Hence the return to the original verse/chorus with a few embellishments to make it sound fuller, more alive, and give it a bit of a celebratory feel. "Life, Yet Alive".

The singer I was working with took that idea a little too far with her lyrics and described a very violent rape in a very graphic manner, which is why the song remains unfinished. I wanted a tragic moment, but not quite THAT tragic, and certainly not as descriptive as her lyrics. :D

benf
06-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Very fine track. Well played, recorded and engineered.
The only thing that I miss is a melody on it. As is, I find it boring. Maybe a sung part, or solo guitar intervention.