PDA

View Full Version : K....Here's my newest tune.....Reaper/Harrison Mix Buss.mix....

Doughboy
06-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Called: I Will Love You Lightly

(and of course my wife said..."Women don't want to be loved lightly"...and I said in reply to that "AAAAARARRRRRRRRGGH!!!"...but whatever....it's just a fucking song not a political speech...sheeeeesh.

anyway...still mixing and such.

http://www.reverbnation.com/GregPillsbury

benf
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Well, well, well !
Everything's fine : good sound, well played and recorded. Nothing to say about your singing.
The only thing that troubles me is your voice. Not that it's not pleasant to hear. I just think it doesn't fit to that song. A blues or a southern rock way of singing should be better in my idea.

Doughboy
06-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Ya know.....I couldn't agree more!

kindafishy
06-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Pretty catchy tune, but very safe. Holds pretty closely to tried and true songwriting. Good, but doesn't have the strong/memorable hooks of much of your other material. I have grown to respect your work to the point that I think you deserve just straight out honesty, but it's just my opinion alone here.

Mix is a little imbalanced. The cymbals are very prominent and the low end is a touch undefined, but I might be off on the low end perception because the hats are so dominant, that it's hard for me to focus on anything else.

Guitar tones sound nice. Good crunch, but could be a bit brighter for this song.

Know what would be very interesting? Not sure that you'd be into it, but it would be cool to hear this mix done in both DAW's, with identical plugin settings where possible.

What do you think of working in MixBus so far? Do you feel it is adding anything to the mix that wouldn't have been there in REAPER?

Doughboy
06-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi fishy....thanks for the good honest opinion. That's what I'm lookin' for.

This was all recorded with Reaper by the way. It would be easy for me to do a semi decent mix in Reaper and add my normal plugins and such...to A/B them.

However.....I'm already kind of doing that with the three previous songs in that list which were recorded with the same basic plan.

Could I live without what I've heard so far from my Harrison mix.....yeah. But....I think it is a definate improvement to my sound. There has just always been something I've been missing in my Reaper mixes.....I keep adjusting and adjusting and adding more and more plugins, then less and less plugins, and I can't quite get my sound there.

With this....I may be almost there now. And all I'm using is the on board compression and some verb and delay by PSP. And I think I added a Terry West compressor for a Parralell compression deal for the drums....which evidently still needs work....heh

by the way.....it's funny how you say that the hook just isn't as strong as other tunes or whatever......it will happen....but, I don't know if you do this as well. It was a pretty big hook when it was in my mind, and then after I was done playing it.....it just didn't pan out for what I hoped. However, sometimes I have something in my mind that only sounds so so, and then after it's played I think....Whoa, I didn't know it was that decent. Heh heh

kindafishy
06-10-2013, 02:48 PM
by the way.....it's funny how you say that the hook just isn't as strong as other tunes or whatever......it will happen....but, I don't know if you do this as well. It was a pretty big hook when it was in my mind, and then after I was done playing it.....it just didn't pan out for what I hoped. However, sometimes I have something in my mind that only sounds so so, and then after it's played I think....Whoa, I didn't know it was that decent. Heh heh

Pretty much every time, man. From initial idea to completion is such a journey with so many twists and turns that it's impossible to tell where it will end up. And hey, it's all about perception. Just because the hook isn't there for me doesn't mean anything. That is directly related to my sensibilities alone. It'll be there for others, guaranteed.

Doughboy
06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Now you have me wondering if I've ever thought out a song and had it actually end up like I envisioned it. I think I get so use to them just going where they want to go, that it doesn't surprise me any more and I just go on to the next track based on what happened on the previous track.

Wolffman
06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Doughboy, another very nice offering from you.

I have to ask, are you playing all the instruments ( apart from the drums ) ?

The reason i ask is something is weird about the bass, the bass is what will make or brake a song like this.

So...., ( to quote Doughboy :) ) i,m listening and thinking what is wrong with the bass, the bass line itself is ok, why isn't this grooving like it could ?

Now, i think its one of two things, the compression settings are wrong and the attack is being squashed out of the bass or its a bass vsti and the sound your using has way too smooth of an attack on the notes.

Well, of course, i could be right off the money but these are just my initial thoughts.

I like the song and the guitar parts work great, i think Kindafishy was right on the money with his comments.

Glad your liking Mixbuss, i really like the idea myself but i think i'll wait for V3 and check that out.

Cheers

Cosmic
06-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Sounds brillo.

Vocal needs compressing BIGTIME ......and then turning up

Doughboy
06-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Wolfman.....HOW BIG ARE YOUR EARS? Sheeeeeesh.....:) here's the deal...at this point every single thing is Band In A Box except for the Bass. Which is me. I had it run to a Parralell compression deal with the drums. I just deleted that whole idea. And adjusted the compression somewhat on the bass as well. Don't know if it's any better or not....sigh

Wolffman
06-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Don't know if it's any better or not....sigh

Hows this coming along for you Doughboy ?

I some times send just the Kick & the bass guitar to there own track for processing but not the whole kit, not sure that would work too well as the comp setings ( that i use anyway )for snare would not suit the kick & bass, and the cymbals would get all weird.
I know you said this was a parallel track but still not sure that would work, so ditching that might have been a good idea.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Smurf
06-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Could I live without what I've heard so far from my Harrison mix.....yeah. But....I think it is a definate improvement to my sound. There has just always been something I've been missing in my Reaper mixes.....

With this....I may be almost there now. And all I'm using is the on board compression and some verb and delay by PSP. And I think I added a Terry West compressor for a Parralell compression deal for the drums....which evidently still needs work....heh

Pretty much why I love Mixbus, it just does that "something" that every other tape/console emulator missis IMHO.

Just tossing this out there....you do know that the "compressor" has 3 different settings, right? A Limiter, Leveler, and Compressor, and each one DOES sound different, not just varying degrees of the same...