PDA

View Full Version : Changing the 'voice' in MIDI

JohnB47
09-07-2007, 03:44 PM
HI.

I'm playing with recording a MIDI track using the built in MIDI keyboard and it works fine but a question comes to mind.

As well as modifying the note/velocity/duration etc in the MIDI editor, is there a way to make individual notes (or all of them) sound not like a piano, but as, say, strings or organ, just as I can by selecting a certain 'voice' when I play my digital piano?

Thanks.

P.S. Off to bed now, so I won't get back to anyone who replies for about 9 hours.

TONDOG64
09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
You need to have some other sounds to play for starters. I use ReaSamploMatic5000 and load samples from my collection or you can throw in a VSTi and play synth sounds. If you use the default settings for Reasampleomatic then all you have to do is load one sample and it will sound each note on the keyboard tonically correct. If you're getting any sounds at all I think you can get this to happen. You need some sounds though one way or the other. I can't remember what synths if any are native to Reaper. I haven't found too many good ones for free, but they're out there. I've picked up some samples from ebay just to get things going. I'm sure somebody has some more comprehensive suggestions, but this way is cheap.

JohnB47
09-08-2007, 02:44 AM
I'll have a look at what you've suggested. I need to get into the whole plugins thing.

But I was thinking, seeing as there's a general standard for Midi, that there would be a specific code or identifier for each voice and that I could somehow modify that in the Midi editor - e.g. just by changing a number somewhere, rather than having to find that specific voice from somewhere.

Here's a site that seems to suggest that this is possible:

http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tutorial/tutor.shtml

Scroll down to the paragraph headed 'The General MIDI (GM) System' and you'll see what I mean. Is there a way to modify what they call the 'Programme Change message' in Reapers Midi editor?

Thanks again.

Billoon
09-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Yep...

Insert an empty midi item, open it in the midi editor, at bottom left...change the dropdown box to "program" and then draw a change in the lane. Hit play to send the message.

...or you could use the List Editor to insert the program change.

JohnB47
09-08-2007, 03:13 AM
I not sure exactly you mean at present - I'm in work, so I'll have a look at your suggestion when I get home.

For now, could you please expand on what you mean by 'draw a change in the lane'. How would that change a voice from piano to french horn, for example.

Also, what/where is the 'List Editor'

Thanks again for the help.

Billoon
09-08-2007, 03:22 AM
The arrow points to the program change i drew in...just click the mouse in the lane area to draw one.

http://img205.**************/img205/8198/pchk7.png (http://**************)

Each voice on a synth has a number assigned to it and the program change sends the number you want to use. In the pic...its number 39 at bottom right.

To get to the list editor...in the midi editor, theres a menu at the top...view>mode:event list.

JohnB47
09-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Excellent response - thank you. What an amazing program Reaper is and what a great Forum too - quick informative responses and with pictures too! Just what a Newbe needs.

It would be really useful to add what you've just clarified to the Users Guide and Wiki - I can't see anything about it in them.

Thanks again.

nicholas
09-08-2007, 04:04 AM
It would be really useful to add what you've just clarified to the Users Guide and Wiki - I can't see anything about it in them.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will include it, probably not in time for the very next update (Reaper 2.00), but hopefully for the one after.

As I've said before, my knowledge of MIDI is very sketchy which is why the User Guide doesn't have as much on MIDI as I'd like it to.

If anybody thinks of anything else that should be included and can give me examples, please PM me,

JohnB47
09-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi.

Thanks Nicholas - that would be great. I know nothing at all at this point so I guess I'm experiencing any small deficiencies in the User Guide/Wiki in a way that simply stops me dead, whereas others with some knowlwdge of other programs will be able to sort things out for themselves.

Biloon - I've had a chance to play now and can add program changes exactly as you say but I can't see how using the List Editor would help. I can't see any entries that appear to be related to Program Changes.

Also, although I can tell the program change number that I've selected as I click/drag the little command change bar up and down in the editer, if I want to determine what number relates to a bar already created, how do I do that? If I hover the cursor over the bar, I can't really see what value it has, 'cos any small movement in cursor shows a different value. I've discovered that right clicking on a bar removes it!

Thanks again for the help.

Billoon
09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Use the list editor...its Type :PC...Value = (bar number).

In the List editor...theres a button at top left, "add event"..click it then select "Program change" in the box at the top and select the program change number in "Parm 1" (just ignore the text after the numbers in this case)....to do it manually.

If youre using General MIDI...you can find a list using google that will tell you what number = what instrument.

JohnB47
09-08-2007, 08:29 AM
That explained it. Cheers. I've raised another thread, so's not to overload this one.

Thanks for all your help.