PDA

View Full Version : REQ. Track Control Channel EQ?

chip mcdonald
06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Is there going to be EQ controls eventually on the channel windows?

It'd be nice to have a low pass, mid sweep and high pass, with buttons for each going up or down in .2 db increments...

..and if possible/neccessary, a way to have the eq settings switch out to FFT/high resolution "high integrity" on rendering, if it's not practical in real time? I know it would sound a bit different than you might expect (due to lack of overshoot, etc), but I think the results would be better than worse.

Being able to do basic eq on a track-track basis, without bringing up dialogs is a big thing, IMO. Maybe you can already do it now with a control surface - but I don't have a control surface...

Anyone else?

Youn
06-18-2006, 10:33 AM
This would require a built-in EQ, which doesn't exist yet...

unless, of course, we could link the controls to our favorite EQ plugin, or ANY plugin for that matter and be able to edit our own sliders and knobs and buttons to live in track mixer... that would be slick as hell, has anyone seen this in any other DAW besides Logic (which isn't exactly what I'm imagining but almost)?

EnzymeX
06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
I have it in Sonar 4 Producer Edition and never use it, because I like my other eq plugs better than what is built in.

I vote for an alternative: A preference setting to automatically display the FX window associated with the active track (and hides the FX window when focus moves away from that track).

That way, quick adjustments can be made to all inserted effects, not just eq.

This would work best in a future version of Reaper where multiple FX GUI's can be undocked from the FX window and displayed at once.

Philipp K.
06-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Channel EQ's would be friggin' awesome, but a whole channelstrip with compressor or even multiband-comperssor, etc. would be really amazing, i don't know any other program which does something like this by now.

we could link the controls to our favorite EQ plugin, or ANY plugin for that matter and be able to edit our own sliders and knobs and buttons to live in track mixer... that would be slick as hell, has anyone seen this in any other DAW besides Logic (which isn't exactly what I'm imagining but almost)?

I think in Cubase/Nuendo one has a feature like that. It gives the possibility to control plug-ins directly from the arrangment view. Think it's called User-panel.

Youn
06-18-2006, 11:52 AM
here's what I was thinking...

http://img216.**************/img216/8809/link016je.png
http://img216.**************/img216/5792/link025jl.png
http://img224.**************/img224/939/link037om.png
http://img374.**************/img374/2256/link042rx.png

Check out London Architect (or cubase/nuendo like above post said) for more better examples, but basically, you could link any plug-parameter to any other as well as create own "custom" interfaces.

Youn
06-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Here's a screen shot and tutorial of Cubases method..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/images/cubase1header.l.jpg
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/cubasenotes.htm

the orange interface on the left is the user-created one, I would definately use this type of feature as I hate opening/closing big clunky vst interfaces, especially when I just want to tweak the EQ a bit.

Philipp K.
06-18-2006, 03:13 PM

Like your idea, it's mores simple than Cubase'n'stuff it handles. Would be a very intuitive kind of tweaking your most-needed-parameters.

maa
06-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Some very good ideas here - I must say I'd also prefere my own favorite EQ - comp - etc. to appear in the track area - a very modern idea!!

The host then can remain a host - others make the FX.

Cheers

M

Art Evans
06-19-2006, 03:02 AM
+1 from me.

Philipp K.
06-19-2006, 03:51 AM
It would be very smooth to save the linked parameters with the FX-chain, though you have your faders and knobs comin' up again on the track when you load a chain-preset.

chip mcdonald
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I hate opening/closing big clunky vst interfaces, especially when I just want to tweak the EQ a bit.

Seconded. No pop up windows obscuring what I'm looking at. 3 faders off to the side would be fine, double click to access Q and frequency.

Another quibble:

It seems faders moving up/down are easier to tweak than side to side with a mouse....

BUT...

A button you could click on and then use your mouse wheel to implement would be best/most ergonomic IMO.

Jae.Thomas
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Link parameter is a great idea!

synth
06-19-2006, 12:07 PM
+1
and I also would like to see the name of the first FX that's loaded in the FX chainer displayed below the track(s) in the TCP,to know what the &^%$ that track is :) (like FL Studio does)

EnzymeX
06-19-2006, 01:04 PM

Check out London Architect (or cubase/nuendo like above post said) for more better examples, but basically, you could link any plug-parameter to any other as well as create own "custom" interfaces.

+1 I love it!

Youn
06-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Another quicker method of adding FX-param. sliders to tracks like this might be from a drop down menu much like choosing an FX envelope. Would also be easier for Justin & Co. to implement, I imagine...

I also imagine this would make FX automation recording much easier, in some cases anyways...

Philipp K.
06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Another quicker method of adding FX-param. sliders to tracks like this might be from a drop down menu much like choosing an FX envelope.

I think, this is even a bit better, than drag'n'dropping the parameters. It might be interesting for Filter-FX to have some kind of XY-Pad or knobs or vertical faders to satisfy peoples needs.

http://img384.**************/img384/8029/linkpk1sg.jpg

maa
06-19-2006, 02:25 PM
from a drop down menu much like choosing an FX envelope.Thats what EnergyXT does - I discovered that today!

:)

synth
06-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Great stuff.If only REAPER could do this as well.

Youn
06-21-2006, 06:55 AM
I think, this is even a bit better, than drag'n'dropping the parameters. It might be interesting for Filter-FX to have some kind of XY-Pad or knobs or vertical faders to satisfy peoples needs.

http://img384.**************/img384/8029/linkpk1sg.jpg
Yeah now that's what I'm talkin' bout! :)

I think I'd end up using knobs most of the time, because they'd be smaller and they could sit several side-by-side.

Another input method would be a simple Text-Box, which represents the value of parameter, and you could click-drag up/down and fine tune it. I might use this more then the knobs, come to think of it, that would save LOADS of screen space.

Philipp K.
06-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I had again some ideas, maybe this is taking too many steps at once in terms of conception, but have a listen. :)

"Multiple Destinations"

It might be useful to control two or more parameters with one control, filter cutoff and the lowcut of an compressor.
To get this working one will need:

"Parameter Ranges"

With a minimal and a maximal value per destination.

"Output to MIDI CC"

For instance if you want to remote-control a synth or a reverb-unit via MIDI.

"Saving"

Saving the whole thing one build up maybe eith the FX-chain or seperatly.

"Graphical issues"

I had the idea to put all the parameters one linked in first place into the track, but having them form all tracks "cloned" in an masterpanel in an tab down where the mixer is. Maybe with an option to undock it and to get in fullscreen-mode on a second monitor.

Another input method would be a simple Text-Box, which represents the value of parameter, and you could click-drag up/down and fine tune it. I might use this more then the knobs, come to think of it, that would save LOADS of screen space.

In Max/MSP, jMax and PD there is something similar: a textpanel with the possibilty to drag the value.

So far. I don't know i have explained my ideas clear enough, to understand but we will see :)
Will try to do another image for this stuff.

PK

Edit: http://img79.**************/img79/3412/reaper15ja.jpg

Here's an image for the undocked parameter-collection with some kind of in-place-properties for each parameter.

Jae.Thomas
06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
theres a lot of places to go with this type of idea -- look at FLStudio - - and even samplitude... great ways to quickly link up parameters to external controllers, or to anywhere else..

chip mcdonald
06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Or more succinctly:

What it would seem would be "cool" would be an assignable "knob" or two on the track control panel that could be assigned to any function in a plug in.

HOW IT WOULD BE IMPLEMENTED IN A PERFECT WORLD:

1) Right click on a plug-in button/knob;
2) dialog pops: "assign to button 1/2, knob 1,2"

That way you wouldn't have to deal with popping up plug-in windows,having to click: you just put the control for the one you want right there on the track's control panel.

chip mcdonald
06-21-2006, 07:15 PM
..but still let's have the simple 3 band eq somehow...?

The problem I would think with trying to integrate reafir and so forth would be processor headroom... I'd rather something simple that didn't clog up the snappiness of the program that late gave me the option (on rendering) to use a higher resolution/quality of eq.

bobsled
06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Or more succinctly:

What it would seem would be "cool" would be an assignable "knob" or two on the track control panel that could be assigned to any function in a plug in.

That way you wouldn't have to deal with popping up plug-in windows,having to click: you just put the control for the one you want right there on the track's control panel.

Now yer talkin'...super easy to manipulate...virtual control surface(?)...

pipelineaudio
06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
..but still let's have the simple 3 band eq somehow...?

The problem I would think with trying to integrate reafir and so forth would be processor headroom... I'd rather something simple that didn't clog up the snappiness of the program that late gave me the option (on rendering) to use a higher resolution/quality of eq.

I am betting there is a way to do this with reafir actually

the issue of being able to use the thing easily though, thats not reafir :)

Art Evans
06-21-2006, 08:01 PM
The Kristal eq is actually a vst usable in other programs, and seems pretty ideal functionally to me for a simple built-in. (Except of course it's not built in, but it's only a moment to insert it).

Adrianv
06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Just started playing with reafir.

Is there a way to just reset a region? I would like to be able to right click and any where that goes, it gets reset to default, instead of the whole thing by clicking the reset button.

I am betting there is a way to do this with reafir actually

the issue of being able to use the thing easily though, thats not reafir :)

pipelineaudio
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
not yet I dont think

needs some gui help

Art Evans
06-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Have you tried the shift/left click/drag method of drawing yet? That's the nearest to resetting a portion.

Art Evans
06-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Just found a bug in ReaFir - if you turn off analysis, the grid/scale does not redraw when you change the frequency range settings (but the tooltip display is correct). When you turn on analyis, the range is then correctly displayed.

Setting the curve is much easier if you set the limits to +8 and -8 and forgo the display - which isn't much help anyway IMHO - I'd rather judge by my ears than my eyes unless I'm trying to take out some kind of spike or the like.

Scott 1178
06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Is there going to be EQ controls eventually on the channel windows?

It'd be nice to have a low pass, mid sweep and high pass, with buttons for each going up or down in .2 db increments...

..and if possible/neccessary, a way to have the eq settings switch out to FFT/high resolution "high integrity" on rendering, if it's not practical in real time? I know it would sound a bit different than you might expect (due to lack of overshoot, etc), but I think the results would be better than worse.

Being able to do basic eq on a track-track basis, without bringing up dialogs is a big thing, IMO. Maybe you can already do it now with a control surface - but I don't have a control surface...

Anyone else?

This would seriously RUIN it big time for many pros. This would be the biggest turn off in the Universe if Justin does this. keeping a cheapo Acid/Ableton/SX like EQ on every channel would be a turn off like seeing a crappy Reverb in a Minimoog.

Having no dedicated eq at all on every channel and leaving it wide open would be great. Theres 100,000,000 vst's out there as well as all the Waves, UAD's, Duende etc etc etc etc. . .

chip mcdonald
06-22-2006, 10:21 AM
keeping a cheapo Acid/Ableton/SX like EQ on every channel would be a turn off like seeing a crappy Reverb in a Minimoog.

What are you saying? That "pros" don't use eq?

I didn't say "cheapo" eq; in the context of this thread people are asking for what amounts to controls for multiple FIR filters on each channel.

What "pro" multitrack program lets you do 32 tracks of fourier eq?

Why would a "pro" not want controls for a 3 band eq?

Having no dedicated eq at all on every channel and leaving

I didn't say dedicated. You either use it or you don't; if you don't the math is the same.

it wide open would be great. Theres 100,000,000 vst's out there as well as all the Waves, UAD's, Duende etc etc etc etc. .

Where did I say you shouldn't be able to use plug ins? Oh wait, that's right, I DIDN'T.

Every decent DAW on the planet has channel eq. It would be a bonus to have the option to render all tracks through accurate FIR filters.

chip mcdonald
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't see 24+ channels of FIR happening in real time if Justin is declaring 64 bit floats. I prefer a snappy interface; I'd rather have plain II filters and have the overshoot left out on rendering through FIR, if it means keeping a crisp response.

kejkz
06-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Youn, i like your idea! Same thing is used in program called Usine and it's quite handy when you have dozen of fx to setup. That way you can use your favourite fx without even opening the interface!
Great!

Scott 1178
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
What are you saying? That "pros" don't use eq?

I didn't say "cheapo" eq; in the context of this thread people are asking for what amounts to controls for multiple FIR filters on each channel.

What "pro" multitrack program lets you do 32 tracks of fourier eq?

Why would a "pro" not want controls for a 3 band eq?

I didn't say dedicated. You either use it or you don't; if you don't the math is the same.

Where did I say you shouldn't be able to use plug ins? Oh wait, that's right, I DIDN'T.

Every decent DAW on the planet has channel eq. It would be a bonus to have the option to render all tracks through accurate FIR filters.

I See what your saying, thought you were talking about "built in eq" just skimmed...

But to back up my opinion on "built in" (just for the hell of it >

Built in eq is just a waste of code imo. . . Yes, every decent DAW has one, that everyone avoids like the plague 24/7. Native DAW eq's are normally about as useful as a case of herpies (especially in the "high pass area") and just an extra eye sore to look at. The only one I can think of thats actually worth a damn is the one in SAW. "Cheapo" is exactly what it will be for now so why bother? Its like pissing on the mona-lisa. This prog could be so much more without adding one and if it didnt have one, it would attract way more people running Wave Net shell APA 44's, SSL Duende, UAD-1's etc right off the bat. Not having a built in cheapo eq/comp is what attracted pros to Pro Tools right away, and still today Pro tools has no "built in" slappy eq/comp at all on any channel.

If this DAW ends up transparent as can be with attention given to powerful math/summing it will be a massive winner among pros & programmers. In fact thats how I'd market REAPER. Great sound, ease of use.... without all the cheapo crap on board. Screw the on board slappy synths, flashy lights, wing dings and other crap. Just raw transparent power that sounds amazing when rendering final product, with good midi; yet is as easy if not easier than vegas to use. Basically SAWstudio's sound quality with Vegas's ease of use + great MIDI vsti support. I'd buy it for $1,000 today.

EnzymeX
06-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Built in eq is just a waste of code imo. . . Yes, every decent DAW has one, that everyone avoids like the plague 24/7. Native DAW eq's are normally about as useful as a case of herpies (especially in the "high pass area") and just an extra eye sore to look at. The only one I can think of thats actually worth a damn is the one in SAW. "Cheapo" is exactly what it will be for now so why bother? Its like pissing on the mona-lisa. This prog could be so much more without adding one and if it didnt have one, it would attract way more people running Wave Net shell APA 44's, SSL Duende, UAD-1's etc right off the bat. Not having a built in cheapo eq/comp is what attracted pros to Pro Tools right away, and still today Pro tools has no "built in" slappy eq/comp at all on any channel.

If this DAW ends up transparent as can be with attention given to powerful math/summing it will be a massive winner among pros & programmers. In fact thats how I'd market REAPER. Great sound, ease of use.... without all the cheapo crap on board. Screw the on board slappy synths, flashy lights, wing dings and other crap. Just raw transparent power that sounds amazing when rendering final product, with good midi; yet is as easy if not easier than vegas to use. Basically SAWstudio's sound quality with Vegas's ease of use + great MIDI vsti support. I'd buy it for $1,000 today.

Yeah, what he said! Great summary, Scott!

Mark
06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Well as a new boy around here I'll tread carefully, but I have a few comments based on my experiences...

Firstly, why does a built in EQ have to be "crappy"? If it's going to be done, no reason why it can't be done properly.

Secondly, just about every mixer/desk has builtin EQ on every channel. Why? Because it's such a vital tool and is used far more frequently than any other effect.

So I for one would be in favour of a built in channel EQ.

However, I think there is a way to have our cake and eat it.... How about a feature that allows a pre-defined effect or effects to be added to each new track when it is added? Possibly project based, but more usefully, an application global preference. In my case I'd add my favourite EQ for every track and maybe a compressor. Best of both worlds?

$0.02

Mark

malcolmj
06-22-2006, 10:44 PM
However, I think there is a way to have our cake and eat it.... How about a feature that allows a pre-defined effect or effects to be added to each new track when it is added? Possibly project based, but more usefully, an application global preference. In my case I'd add my favourite EQ for every track and maybe a compressor. Best of both worlds?

Yep. I think you'll find this feature is already included in REAPER. :)

From the FX window, select FX > Save chain as default for new tracks. Whatever you save in the chain (e.g. EQ and Comp) will now be included in the FX chain of new Tracks.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

chip mcdonald
06-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Not having a built in cheapo eq/comp is what attracted pros to Pro Tools right away,

"Pros" were initially attracted to a DAW that was more stable than anything on the PC platform at the time, and offered editing capabilities you didn't have with tape. Digi got it right before anyone else and managed it's growth through the Tao of Apple while PC platforms capsized with a Babylonic array of hardware/software problems.

and still today Pro tools has no "built in" slappy eq/comp at all on any channel.

That an eq *isn't* built in doesn't mean it's better - and because it's built in doesn't also mean it's not any good.

But more importantly - if you don't use it, the math is the same either way.

DarkStar
06-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Built-in effects (and other built-in stuff) all require developemnt and testing work by Justin and Christophe and testing by you guys too.

The time spent on this takes time away from other areas. I would much rather that J&C concentrate on the special bits of Reaper, on performance improvements and on bug-fixes.

I can always add VST FX myself, using tried and trusted third-party products. It only takes a moment, and I am familiar with their actions and effect (but I'd still like to hide the FX-chain section, and have a few mappable controls in the track header area (as chip said in another thread)).

"Lean and mean" as someone-else said somewhere.

my 2 cents.

Mark
06-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Yep. I think you'll find this feature is already included in REAPER. :)

From the FX window, select FX > Save chain as default for new tracks. Whatever you save in the chain (e.g. EQ and Comp) will now be included in the FX chain of new Tracks.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Well there you go. Thanks Malcolm. Still getting my head into REAPER.

I'm a happy camper now. (Well for a bit anyway).

Mark

pipelineaudio
06-23-2006, 04:32 AM
Mark, also see the Track FX chain video http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/4_TrackFX_Chain.wmv

from the reaper basics videos page

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/

Mark
06-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Mark, also see the Track FX chain video http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/4_TrackFX_Chain.wmv

from the reaper basics videos page

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/

Excellent, thanks

Youn
06-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Just so you guys know (I didn't until today, actually) You can make any parameter have an envelope and slide the whole thing up and down to adjust in real-time.

The only problem is then you can't adjust using VST gui as the envelope won't be updated, and also the envelope doesn't display the values according to the VST, just 0.000-1.000 (for those of us only using our ears this is no problem, right?)

that is the closest thing we got at the moment, in case some of you (like me) didn't think of it yet... and pretty nice how it hovers the values right away.

Tallisman
10-18-2007, 01:05 PM
This would require a built-in EQ, which doesn't exist yet... thank goodness --1 for built-in per/channel EQ. boo built in per/channel eq!

unless, of course, we could link the controls to our favorite EQ plugin, or ANY plugin for that matter and be able to edit our own sliders and knobs and buttons to live in track mixer... that would be slick as hell Yeah! for slick-as-hell, Drag-n-Drop-FX-parameter-to-MCP for per/channel strip control of whatever the heck you want - saved with default FX chain settings of course, and to track presets.

.t

Lawrence
10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Hmm... the Cubendo method mentioned above is a custom instrument panel which controls outboard devices I think and not the most efficient way to get track eq.

There are 2 TCP views and 3 mixer views for the built in eq but this TCP eq is the most ergonomic in use and in line with the new design Brice has going. Imagine a little graphical eq window like that on Brice's design.

His design has 'rolling' panels like Cubase. Just add one for EQ and an option "Insert ReaEQ on new tracks", with a smaller panel for the TCP to control it without opening a plugin window.

http://theaudiocave.com/eq1.png

http://www.bricedupuy.com/reaper/reaper_adv_gui_leftdock_detail.jpg

Tallisman
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
yes lawrence... that is really cool. but in the inspector you have to select the equalizer curve view albeit only once for each track type.

does that really speed it up? what if you need to see the notes on the next track or inserts... ok ctrl click and see both or all three, provided there is screen real estate... the point is that clicking is inevitable. now we can access any parameter for any plugin in any default FX chain/track preset with one click, 2 if the track was not currently selected, provided we are sneaky about our screenset set up.

.t

.t

Lawrence
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
yes lawrence... that is really cool. but in the inspector you have to select the equalizer curve view albeit only once for each track type.

.t

Yeah, but since Reaper doesn't have track types... not a problem. When you view the EQ panel it should stay there as you select through tracks.

Lawrence
10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
does that really speed it up? what if you need to see the notes on the next track or inserts... ok ctrl click and see both or all three, provided there is screen real estate... the point is that clicking is inevitable. now we can access any parameter for any plugin in any default FX chain/track preset with one click, 2 if the track was not currently selected, provided we are sneaky about our screenset set up.
.t

Good questions. Not sure if it's faster, the same speed or just more convienient. Obviously in Cubendo if you're done editing and are mixing, and don't have a control surface, you just open the mixer. :) If you have two monitors even better.

Use whatever eq view fits your workflow best, mix and match. That blank one would be for a user designed custom panel view.

http://theaudiocave.com/eq2.png

soul&folk
10-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Well as you probably read on the other thread, I would be happy to have this, and I think it's very important to put it at the top of the to-do list, not at the bottom as others here have said.

As a matter of fact that's the only thing I can think of that's missing for the way I work (other than it would be nice to be able to dock the transport at the top of the screen instead of the middle)

sebas777
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
drag+drop of knobs/sliders gets +++1 from me :)

Ideas:

1) To avoid adding a new button, we could reuse the "learn" option: after selecting a knob, instead of moving a midi controller, you would simply d+d this knob on the TCP to add it.

2) TCP "knob sets" = user presets. Done once, profit for life.

3) For more complicated guis, I'd propose just a small icon that would auto-show the whole gui when mousing over it.

JasonTheron
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
For the FR Tracker: group "Built in EQ on the Mixer"

EDIT:
Ungrouping

Youn
01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
we were discussin this on the track control panel, not the mixer... of course with more people using the mixer now it might be good to have it there as well, personally i still don't use the mixer though... for whatever that's worth...

JasonTheron
01-31-2008, 12:22 PM
we were discussin this on the track control panel, not the mixer... of course with more people using the mixer now it might be good to have it there as well, personally i still don't use the mixer though... for whatever that's worth...

Right, I'll ungroup this.
Thanks for the catch.

RCUS
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Just wanted to give a heads up on an older post. Novation just released a new update for their Automap functionality that does exactly what your are saying. I would post a link but i'm typing through my playstation right now and I don't hook my workstation up to net, so i can't copy/paste. The catch is that you would need to buy their specific control surface from their Remote SL series (which i love btw!).

Do a search for Automap 2.0 and you'll see what I mean. It essentially wraps any VST and then you can assign by groups ala: User, FX, Instrument, and Mixer. I am currently testing it out with Reaper (its actually the Beta version of Automp 2.0 that i got off of joining a yahoo group:"Novation Remote SL") and it seems to be working great right now. Took a little time setting up the virtual midi ports to function correctly since i already have an Open Labs midi client that runs in th background and the Automap installs its own midi client that I disabled; but now it will basically let me tweak any FX on any channel in Reaper, without having to touch my mouse. Here's an example of how it works:

Let's say you have an eq and compressor that you love to use an want it on every channel, so you set up all your tracks to have these two FX on them. (thanks Malcolm j for showing how to do that quickly by setting up defaults!!)

The Remote SL (using Automap 2.0) allows you to press one button that brings up a semi-transparent overlay onscreen that you can then use as an assignable control surface for ALL your FX, which then controlled by your hardward control surface from the Remote SL series. You are able to select exactly what you want via the Remote SL and see it graphically represented with a scaleable control surface that mimics whatever FX you select on your screen. So if you want to go to track 4 and select the compressor then quickly go to track 10 and select the EQ, then go to track 2 and play a VST, you can do it all without having to open the FX browser per track in Reaper, simply by using the browser in Automap 2 to navigate the four menu browser groups, again: User, FX, Instrument, Mixer.

And yes, all knobs, sliders, buttons are customizable based on the parameters that the Remote SL reads from the FX. So if you want bandwith on track 1 to be a slider, you right click the slider on the semi-transparent control panel, or select learn on the remote SL hardware, and it saves you settings.

The ONLY, only, only thing that does not work right now with the SL and Automap, is that there is no automap setting for the mixer in Reaper. I actually just got in touch with one of the guys from Novation about this, and i'm hoping that he takes me up on my offer to contact Cockos to get the ball rolling. I sent Justin pm with my email correspondence with Novation and hopefully it will go through. Novation seems eager to please and this technology is really amazing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take it on.

p.s. ahaha this totaly sounds like spam now that i went back and read it but its NOT i promise, i'm just a little chatty i guess!!

Or more succinctly:

S-N-S
02-24-2008, 03:08 PM
would be really nice to have

hereander
04-08-2008, 07:44 AM
@RCUS: Did you really get Automap 2.0beta to work realiably with several instances of ReaEQ?
I have also been trying it the last few days and I constantly get crashes when I move controls in the fx-gui and then on the transparent automap-hud or vice versa. Also I cant explicitely give focus to an instance of ReaEQ. USually the wrapped plugins have the "A" button to give focus to them. The Reaper-Plugins dont have that.

Edit: I just installed reaper 2.201 and re-wrapped all the plugins and now ReaEQ seems to work. Cant reproduce the crashes... weird + The "A" button for focusing instances is now there too

Tallisman
04-08-2008, 07:48 AM
here is the concept and perhaps it can be implemented
thanks to the new APIs and geeky stuff that Justin and
co have opened up to the wonderful world of developers
and coders much more intelligent than I:

Lickety-Strip Control formally Bin Control

A dock-able window (the width of the mixer when
showing the master +1 track) that responds to track
selection (click on track one, it displays the Track
one Configuration).
Contains a pulldown menu that grants access to any
VST in the selected track's FX Chain.
Similar to the virtual Keyboard, in that it sends
midi CC messages to the plugins in the FX chain.
Has 3 modes: 1. Auto: which automatically maps
the first 45 parameters of the selected VST. 2. User:
allows the user to map selected parameters from the selected
VST. 3. Multi-User: Allows the user to map any 45
parameters from any plugin in the selected track's FX bin.

here's a crappy sketch:
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/36196/Bin-Control-sketch.jpg
click for larger view (http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/34867/Bin-Control-sketch.jpg)

TheMulti-User Mode
Selecting Multi-User Moded from the Lickety-Strip control target pulldown
menu opens the FX chain fro that track. The user can then select
a plugin in the FX bin, click midi learn and touch a slot in the
Lickety-Strip Control window. That Parameter is then mapped to that slot.
Ideally it would be killer to drag a Lickety-Strip Control slot to a
parameter (like dragging sends) and create the link as such.

It would be great, and probably less work, if we could could just
reuse the Reaper send Elements so that there would be no need to
have more GUI elements and integration would be tight with any
given theme.

Lickety-Strip Control Configurations should be save-able and recallable.
They should be stored with track presets and project templates.

I will add more Ideas as they come. Please feel free to do the
same, or better yet,

get busy coding :D

many greetings

.t

edit: and thus we have solved the per-track eq problem:
add the eq of choice to the default track config. add a Lickety-Strip Control to the mix, map to taste and save with the default track.

Here is a little crappy mock-up showing the control pannel and a bank of assigned and unassigned parameter slots.
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/34873/Lickety-Strip-Control.png

it re-uses current Reaper grafix. which allows for 45 parameters to be assigned and controlled from the space where the navigator is in this image:

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/9558/10792993239-My-Desktop.png

labyrinth
04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I really like where this is going. I am all for it!!!

++1

Till
04-14-2008, 04:33 AM
!group "Built in EQ on the Mixer"

Matthew Presley
04-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Tallisman,

Ive been asking Justin for this for a while now. Its kinda like Cubendos quick track controls, just not limited at all.

Now that we have the dev tools to do it ourselves (I think). Who is capable and up for the challenge?

I for one would pay for this functionality.

Spyrow
04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Lickety-Strip Control formally Bin Control
[...]

This is my idea. It's I think it would be easy to do for Justin. http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20265

Then he could do a Virtual-Midi-Control (same style than Virtual Midi Keyboard but with knobs sending CC's) so they wouldn't have to do any extra programing and you will have full and flexible Midi Learn for those who want that and full and flexible on-screen custom knobs controling VST parameters for those who want that.