PDA

View Full Version : Problems on top of problems

Rwh457
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I still consider myself to be a newbie even though I have been playing, singing, and working sound reinforcement for a long time. Since stepping up my use of Reaper and pc recording in general, I am only having around 60% success with getting recordings finished and rendered to a good audio file. When folks who know almost nothing about recording audio wonder why there are problems, I am sick of having to throw my hands up in the air with no answer almost as often as I can tell them all is great.
I purchased a new laptop to replace the old xp laptop that crashed twice. It has 64bit win8 and -hmmm, can't recall if it is 32 or 64 bit program installed so I will have to check that. I'll assume that could be a possible issue for me.
I plan to go back to using an old tape deck for my primary means of reproducing audio for now. I have a usb backup set up as well thru the xp laptop but do not have confidence it will perform for me and I really really hate feeling like that about almost every piece of digital equipment I have tried to use to date. The only piece that has always worked for me is the presonus firepod but it will not work with win 8, so even if I use it I have to use a pc that has crashed on me while using a usb interface. I am doing all of this as a means of possibly observing a pattern of unfortunate events leading up to a problem.

camerondye
10-09-2013, 09:14 AM
That sucks, hopefully the Win8 drivers will be out soon...it's frustrating not being able to have a stable system. Do you have any questions on getting things better or are you just venting?

DVDdoug
10-09-2013, 11:03 AM
I plan to go back to using an old tape deck for my primary means of reproducing audio for now.You might consider getting a portable digital recorder or a "Portastudio".

OK... I agree... Computers are the least reliable things we own! ...But, unless you are recording critical one-time events where there's no possibility of "take two", a computer-based system is usually the best option. And in a critical situation, you can always use two computers recording in parallel (or something else recording in parallel with the computer).

The line-inputs on a regular souncard (your laptop probably doesn't have line inputs) will generally give you better quality than an analog tape recorder. (The mic input on a consumer soundcard is worthless.) With a laptop, a USB interface usually works well.

And if you can get-by with a tape recorder, I assume you are not multitracking. You may be able to greatly simplify your software by using an audio editor instead of a a DAW. Audacity is FREE!!! Wavosaur is FREE!!! I'm a long-time GoldWave user ($50 USD). Or if you want to go higher-end, consider Adobe Audition or Sony Soundforge.

...to replace the old xp laptop that crashed twice. :D It ONLY crashed twice??? :D

hopi
10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
well then...

I know only too well that off the shelf pc's these days force you to have win8...

but you don't have to go that way...

I build my own desktop pc, and install win7 pro, 64 bit and run reaper 64 very smoothly on those pc's

It is an option.. I don't have to throw up my hands at all, no make excuses for anything...

ugh... throwing up your hands! you'd have to eat your hands first, right? Horrible thought!

jerome_oneil
10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
You might consider getting a portable digital recorder or a "Portastudio".

I'll second that. I've got a Fostex MR-8 and a Tascam DR-100 mkII. I use both for field recording, and they're awesome. I record with them, pull the WAV files off the internal media, and then do my editing in Reaper.

There are a whole lot of good dedicated portable studios out there. Shop around.

planetnine
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll second that. I've got a Fostex MR-8 and a Tascam DR-100 mkII. I use both for field recording, and they're awesome. I record with them, pull the WAV files off the internal media, and then do my editing in Reaper.

There are a whole lot of good dedicated portable studios out there. Shop around.

Heh, large format console and two synched 24-track HDD recorders. Edit later in REAPER. :)

I rarely record more than two tracks at a time directly into REAPER, usu voiceover, pickups/overdubs...

>

Rwh457
10-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. At this point I think I am looking for a digital recorder of some kind to run as primary with the tape as backup. If the digital recorders are consistently putting down retrievable tracks that is enough for me.

Cameron-no I am not just venting although I do that from time to time. I am seriously looking for system consistency and so far I am not finding it.

I am not so interested in portable systems as this will be installed in a control booth. I have looked at the Zoom h4n and think this one would do the job but I am looking for something I can mount into a rack or at least set onto a rack shelf. I would also like it to be easily used by someone who assists me from time to time who knows little to nothing about audio setup. That might be difficult to find but I can always hope.

jerome_oneil
10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Heh, large format console and two synched 24-track HDD recorders. Edit later in REAPER. :)

I rarely record more than two tracks at a time directly into REAPER, usu voiceover, pickups/overdubs...

>

When I am at a festival, or at rehearsal, it's really hard to haul my entire mix console with me.

So yeah, stereo recordings, edit later in Reaper.

If I'm at the house, I'll plug into my audio interface.

Tools. They do different things.

jerome_oneil
10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. At this point I think I am looking for a digital recorder of some kind to run as primary with the tape as backup. If the digital recorders are consistently putting down retrievable tracks that is enough for me.

Cameron-no I am not just venting although I do that from time to time. I am seriously looking for system consistency and so far I am not finding it.

I am not so interested in portable systems as this will be installed in a control booth. I have looked at the Zoom h4n and think this one would do the job but I am looking for something I can mount into a rack or at least set onto a rack shelf. I would also like it to be easily used by someone who assists me from time to time who knows little to nothing about audio setup. That might be difficult to find but I can always hope.

There are a lot of rack mounted options if that's what you want. You can spend very little, and very much, depending on your needs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=digital+recorder+rack+mount&oq=digital+recorder+rack&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5530j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=digital+recorder+rack+mount&tbm=shop&spd=13652157423197924924

Rwh457
10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Yes something like this. The $800 to $1k range would get all the features to give consistent recording done easily by those with a minimum of audio training. I don't know enough about it to know a good one from a bad one but have a friend at guitar center who can help me find out-at least I hope so.

If it had capability to save to hard drive or other internal storage as .wav or mp3 would be great. Then they could get a good stereo or two track recording in the event of my absence- which I could then take into a reaper project and tweak it-Yes? Then render a new file with changes made and send it to cd/dvd/usb/flash storage or even a tape-for those who still use that technology and occasionally want a copy of a performance I have done-and yes(happily) I do get requests.

One other possibility to consider might be to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a better interface. Any thoughts? Since we are considering this much $$$ I will give it much thought before I make a purchase and would appreciate input from others who use Reaper Audio. Thanks a lot!!!

It would appear that I have alot to consider.

jerome_oneil
10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
If it had capability to save to hard drive or other internal storage as .wav or mp3 would be great. Then they could get a good stereo or two track recording in the event of my absence- which I could then take into a reaper project and tweak it-Yes? Then render a new file with changes made and send it to cd/dvd/usb/flash storage or even a tape-for those who still use that technology and occasionally want a copy of a performance I have done-and yes(happily) I do get requests.

Well, that's Reaper.