PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like There's a Gate on Each Track?

photonman
10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Is there a default setting that mutes the tracks to "digital black" once the signal weakens?

I'm working with some long, sustained guitar chords.

In playback, it seems as though before the chord faded to silence (as it was performed), it is gated to decay most severely to complete and total silence.

I've recorded on all sorts of formats before for over 20 years now, but I'm relatively new to Reaper. So my ears know what they're hearing. I love how quiet reaper is, but this doesn't sound natural.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks....

Xenakios
10-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Are you using a proper sound interface device? (Sound card, USB audio interface?)

Reaper itself certainly doesn't have anything like a gate on the track by default.

photonman
10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Are you using a proper sound interface device? (Sound card, USB audio interface?)

Reaper itself certainly doesn't have anything like a gate on the track by default.

Hey...thanks for the quick response. I'm using a Saffire6 USB.

foxAsteria
10-27-2013, 12:13 AM
are you recording in 8-bits? (project settings, wave bit depth). otherwise it's got to be an interface issue. check any interface windows you can find. could have some gating somewhere in there. i'd ask on their forums about that.