PDA

View Full Version : Possible Vista Compatibility Issue?

stratman
10-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I only get the problem described below on my computer with a Vista operating system. Using exactly the same settings, I don't get the problem on my laptop, which has an XP operating system.

I want to combine Audio recordings with Midi.

Firstly I'll give the settings I use, then I'll explain the problem and a work around I've found.

In Options/Preferences/Audio/Device I set my Audio system to ASIO. This gives the driver as ASIO Podxt (which is my USB audio interface).

In Options/Preferences/Midi/Audio/Midi Devices I then enable Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

However, I get the following error message "Error Creating Audio: Error initializing buffers (please configure your audio devices in Preferences/Audio Devices)".

I can get around the problem by going back into Options/Preferences/Midi/Audio/Midi Devices and by disabling Microsoft GS Wavetable synth.

I then select [Play] then [Stop]. There don't need to be any tracks present.

After this I go back and enable Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. Following this everything works for a while. When the problem occurs again I repeat the above process.

Although, there seems to be a work around it's a bit of a pain. Is this a genuine issue or is there a subtle change to my settings that I need to make?

Deajan
10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Your problem seems more a driver issue than a Reaper problem.
I can greatly use Audio & Midi under Vista.

Have you tried update your sound driver?
You can also put in another soundcard just to test...

Cheers.

stratman
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Many thanks for your response. I did update my sound drivers and it didn't cure the problem. I've actually got onboard sound and don't have a separate sound card. As I said before I use my Podxt as the Audio interface and use midi from my onboard sound.

I think you're probably correct that it's not a Reaper issue.

Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) soundcard that works well in Reaper?

Deajan
10-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Nice card would be a M-audio delta 2496, can find on ebay for $50. Even a Creative SBLive can do the trick, for $5.

Cheers.