PDA

View Full Version : Hatch 23

Cosmic
09-20-2014, 08:06 AM
This is the latest part of my rock opera Tidy Townstrophenia

I not making them in the right order,but they'll be all assembled correctly for the album.

I didnt really make this one loud enough..I only just finished it..and I'm not going back to slam it harder now..I'll wreck it proper for the lp..although I think the lack of crunchiness might be a good thing.

ANyway..I hope you enjoy!

zLaCXdPD06A

sammydix
09-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I like the 'story' behind the song. This is another one where all the elements work great together (chords, bk vocs, main melody line, the way it drives...). Everything just right, to me.

dea-man
09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Reminds me of early Joe Jackson.

Cosmic
09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Ahh thanks lads!

Joe Jackson!! I can live with that!!

dea-man
09-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Maybe a little early "The Cure", as well.

God, I love your stuff.

Cosmic
09-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Maybe a little early "The Cure", as well.

God, I love your stuff.

Aww....thank you so much.You don't know how much that means to me.

TBH..if ya didnt care..the tunes would still get made...I can't stop.I'm obsessed.For better or worse.

But you do care..and thats my life justified.

Thats my reward.You liking what it does to your ears.

Garrick
09-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Man yer pumping them out!

You're a inspiration cosmic.

I would love for you to do a short vid of you showing how it's done from initial idea and scratch track to finished recording.

I think a lot of punters would watch that.

Cosmic
09-20-2014, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Garrick;1407863]Man yer pumping them out!

Its easy.All ya gotta do is PRACTICE YOUR HOLE OFF

I'm 42..playing the guitar 27 years.I am DEAD HANDY on the guitar.

I'm recorrding since I'm 38,by the time I am 65..I will be DEAD HANDY at recording.

So will you.Yer in no hurry.Just enjoy it

My early shit was gnarly as fuck.People still love it

SO..I'm not making any videos..sure I can barely make it to bed most nights..haha

Garrick
09-20-2014, 03:29 PM
All good gaz. It would be a distraction anyway.

Jorgen
09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Good one... you sound a little tired in places... imho. You get enough rest and sleep...? your own advice, I think.

Cosmic
09-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Good one... you sound a little tired in places... imho. You get enough rest and sleep...? your own advice, I think.

I sound fucking awesome whaadayatalkinbout!

I've had this on repeat since 9am.

This is how I am supposed to sound I can assure you

Its PERFECT

Jorgen
09-20-2014, 04:12 PM
I sound fucking awesome whaadayatalkinbout!

I've had this on repeat since 9am.

This is how I am supposed to sound I can assure you

Its PERFECT

Alright, alright...! I get it... I just had a hard time making out the lyrics and melody line in the first chorus, I can't lie... Of course it's awesome!

Cosmic
09-21-2014, 06:31 AM
This number is gonna be played on the national radio this week.

Imagine I got playlisted..I would become insufferable

kindafishy
09-21-2014, 07:30 AM
This tune rips, Gaz.

What do you mean it's not loud enough? It sounds to me like this is more or less already pinned enough that you have some loudness but it's so far not overcooked. I like your tunes, man and I for one, would like to see you cast that shit off and let these tunes breathe so I can enjoy them like I want to.

This tune is super catchy. I'm looking forward to you finishing your opera project. What are your plans for bringing visuals to these tunes?

You have established that you have come into your own as a mixer, Gaz, but I will share with you that at least here in my room the mix is coming across slightly mid heavy. All the sounds are very well recorded and coming at me beautifully. The top and bottom could both be featured a bit more and that would be good for the tune.

I'd really like to hear your main approach(es) to getting a particular sense of space you are after. This is one of the things that I find myself appreciating with your mixes. They have a really good sense of the space they occupy and they come across as very cohesive and defined.

Cosmic
09-21-2014, 07:47 AM
This tune rips, Gaz.

What do you mean it's not loud enough? It sounds to me like this is more or less already pinned enough that you have some loudness but it's so far not overcooked. I like your tunes, man and I for one, would like to see you cast that shit off and let these tunes breathe so I can enjoy them like I want to.

This tune is super catchy. I'm looking forward to you finishing your opera project. What are your plans for bringing visuals to these tunes?

You have established that you have come into your own as a mixer, Gaz, but I will share with you that at least here in my room the mix is coming across slightly mid heavy. All the sounds are very well recorded and coming at me beautifully. The top and bottom could both be featured a bit more and that would be good for the tune.

I'd really like to hear your main approach(es) to getting a particular sense of space you are after. This is one of the things that I find myself appreciating with your mixes. They have a really good sense of the space they occupy and they come across as very cohesive and defined.

I'll be honest...I'm still having difficulty getting balance just right.I'm afraid to over egg the top end because I just don't trust my ears up there..I've had too many songs come out overly bright..so now I'm a cautious.Maybe overly cautious.
And the low end..well...thats just so subjective.Its so hard to get it just right so that it transefers well across the myriad devices people use to listen.This is where real mastering would come in I reckon.

AS for the space thing..I've figured out something that kinda works.Reverb is honestly imo the hardest part of mixing.

I use a few..theres the "main" verb...thats just a short kinda room ..almost everything goes to that in varying levels.
ANd each with its on eq on the way in
Then theres the backing vocal verb..which is a bigger sounding one.
Then theres the delays..everything gets delayed to some extent..depending on what I'm after.

The combination of reverb and delay gives it thickness.

I havnt figured out a system..I just try identify what needs what as I go along.

This track is mid heavy yer right there...but thats cos I think I roled off too much high end.Theres no boosting on any of the tracks..just subtraction

ANd I have no idea about how I'm gonna present the opera lp.I think its just gonna be 50 CDS with a zine of pictures that relate to the story.

I can't afford to make a movie :)

kindafishy
09-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Brilliant Gaz. What you do with reverb and delay sounds very much like what I try to do (except you do it much better ;)). I know your secret though... Practice, practice, practice.

I think yer right about the mastering. You are definitely right with your opinions on the low end. That has been the hardest bit for me. My biggest issue has always been that I have been able to make it sound fantastic in my environment, but translation was always terrible.

Maybe you can talk to some local college or university professors or course conveners who handle cinematography/filmography courses and see if they would be interested in having a senior class project where the whole class works for a full semester or two on putting a movie to your music? That would be so cool on so many levels for so many people.

Hey, did that dude ever come looking for his fuzzbox?

Thanks for all you share around here Gaz. You've got true to life fans and friends around these parts.

suleiman
09-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Lovely lovely song....it reminded me of something nice but its like a memory I lost..There is honestly zero i can offer in the way of improvements :)

look forward to your first rock opera !

brainwreck
09-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Solid tune. Very cool guitars on this one.

Cosmic
09-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all you share around here Gaz. You've got true to life fans and friends around these parts.

Thanks man..Fans I can live without..but friends..I need!

I think the overall standard of tunes getting posted around here is climbing rapidly.Its a joy to behold.

Sticking it to the man..one track at a time

Cosmic
09-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Fuck it.I just ghetto mastered this..and it sounds AMAZING.
Way louder and kick arseinger...plenty of air and less harshnes
Note to self..don't be so hasty uploading tunes in future.

Its a learning process this music lark