PDA

View Full Version : Brand new ending (pop rock, I suppose)

brainwreck
09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
This one started in the 4 track challenge thread. The thread didn't go as expected, but maybe it helped getting the collab worm in some brains. Any way, I threw a riff out there, which seemed to go into the void, but sammydix saved the thing, writing lyrics and manning vocals. I got approval from sammydix on a quick mix last night, and I kind of burned out today on the real mix. So, here is the quick mix from last night: https://app.box.com/s/fdzwu92oczagwrlyl5qd

I'll post a somewhat cleaned up project tomorrow for anyone who wants to take a stab at mixing it. Lyrics can be found in post #36 here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141334

sammydix
09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Totally love the new arrangement. Not so crazy about the "pop" part (my vocals) so much anymore, but it's there now.

brainwreck
09-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Oh well, I tried

I'm laughing at this comment now. Nice job sammydix.

sammydix
09-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm never be too overconfident when singing on someone else's groove. There's always that "will he/she even like this?" kinda feeling.

And you can call me Sam. heh

brainwreck
09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
And you can call me Sam. heh

Ok, Sam. heh, you can call me brain or bran or barney.

I enjoyed working on this thing with you, Sam. Next for me is figuring out 'Break the Locks'.

sammydix
09-23-2014, 08:44 PM
more feedback.

kindafishy
09-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Now this is a cool tune.

I am really digging the distinct groove happening here. Sammy getting melodic in the chorus while the music maintains a similar driving rhythm to the verses has a cool effect.

The chorus is killer.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Nice collab guys!

brainwreck
09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Now this is a cool tune.

I am really digging the distinct groove happening here. Sammy getting melodic in the chorus while the music maintains a similar driving rhythm to the verses has a cool effect.

The chorus is killer.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Nice collab guys!

Thanks for the listen and comments. It turned out completely different than I had imagined it, but that's part of the fun of collabing.

Btw, I've been busy today, but I'll have a zip of the project up in a little while.

Garrick
09-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Nice one guys, melodic and high energy at the same time. i also really the gat tone of the rhythm guitar very planet telex, i can only just hear it but it sounds nice.

brainwreck
09-24-2014, 10:43 PM
I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the project up. Getting late. I'm thinking that the dry di guitars would leave the most options, assuming that anyone wants to mix this thing.

Nice one guys, melodic and high energy at the same time. i also really the gat tone of the rhythm guitar very planet telex, i can only just hear it but it sounds nice.

Thanks for dropping in. The mix was a quickie used for getting Sam's opinion of the arrangement. I started on a real mix, but it seemed like I was putting too much time into it for not much improvement (bah...those amp sims). I want to get onto some other collabs, too. And someone mentioned posting projects for mixing, etc., so maybe this will be helpful (once I have the thing uploaded).

OpIvy
09-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Dunno what to say. This is raw and fucking awesome.
Guitars are sweet and dirty and sammy's voice fits in perfectly, but.....
vox need more volume...esp in the chorus- double track them maybe.

I know sweet f-a but possibly run another vox track smothered in saturation at the chorus.
Yes, the chorus... it's soooooo good! Fix that and everything will be rad!

m5blackmond
09-26-2014, 04:07 PM
This is fucking awesome.

So much drive the whole time. Totally agree on the chorus. A great contrast with the nice vocal melody while the thing drives on. Love the lead guitar at ~1:52. Totally could see me playing something like.

Great work, chaps!

TheCaptain
09-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Light and shade. I hope you don't mind me being honest...

Guitars sounded quite awesome.

Didn't like verse vocals. Nothing "wrong" with them, I just don't like them.

Chorus vocals are on the verge of being brilliant. Need to cut through more, not necessarily louder, but more upfront. (If they are more upfront, I might find more to moan about, but the idea is ace.)

Errrr, it needs an ending, instead of just stopping.

The arrangement doesn't quite cut it for me. It's too short, sounds like cut off mid song.

Otherwise, respect! Could be the birth of a decent little number...

sammydix
09-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Dunno what to say. This is raw and fucking awesome.
Guitars are sweet and dirty and sammy's voice fits in perfectly, but.....
vox need more volume...esp in the chorus- double track them maybe.

hey thx Op, maybe when BW uploads the project, you can take a jab at the mix? I'd really like to hear the saturation method.

This is fucking awesome.

So much drive the whole time. Totally agree on the chorus. A great contrast with the nice vocal melody while the thing drives on. Love the lead guitar at ~1:52. Totally could see me playing something like.

Great work, chaps!
That lead got me too. Had to set up straight the first time I heard it.

Light and shade. I hope you don't mind me being honest...

Guitars sounded quite awesome.

Didn't like verse vocals. Nothing "wrong" with them, I just don't like them.

In the original, the first 1/3 of the verse was the lead, and the 2nd and 3rd were backing. Now with the backing in the 'lead' position, they do sound a bit staccato. Still, in the first version they were too crowded all at once, so I can see why BW pulled them out and placed them in the lead. Of the two (versions), I do prefer this one, though. Appreciate the honesty, goes a long way for improving.
thx guy.

Dream Of Sleeping
09-27-2014, 05:28 AM
I liked the intro riff and the chorus jumped out at me on the first listen. It has a really nice melody. The verses grew on me by the second listen but they aren't up to the same standard as the chorus but I think with maybe just a bit of tweaking they could be.

Because it's so full on from the start, I thrnk it starts to get a little monotonous by the second half of the second verse. It needs something to ether add even more intensity of break it up. Maybe another guitar part that's noisy, melodic but stays in the background. Something like what Glassjaw often do.

The drums are really good but I think with even more subtle variation and some drum fills could keep the energy going. Perhaps you could have little stops in the verses after each vocal phrase. Not sure how to describe what I mean with that but it could make it have more of a groove.

Is the ending just temporary while you are still working on it? Because that's not the way to end the song!

Jorgen
09-27-2014, 12:52 PM
That chorus is gold. Lots of good noise and groovy riffs... at first I thought, man, BW is a damn good singer, had no idea...!