PDA

View Full Version : New prog jam, with visuals!

m5blackmond
09-25-2014, 06:23 PM
To switch it up a bit, I recorded myself playing the lead on my new one. Soundcloud is being strange, so it's only up on youtube so far

http://youtu.be/4XvmyFuIz6k

All reaper, of course. I bought a new audio interface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. This is the first track I've done where all the guitars/bass are done DI instead of mic'ing an amp. Please let me know what you think about it. To me, it feels a little more fake than my previous tracks (can be seen from my soundcloud link in my signature)

Thanks in advanced for listening!

sammydix
09-26-2014, 05:32 PM
When the song first started, I was going, "damn, this is muffled as shit!", then I saw that it was just a filter at the beginning when the song opened up. Got some real nice off timings here and there--why I love prog in the first place-- could have heard a bit more of that. You've got some pretty sweet techniques, man.

m5blackmond
10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
When the song first started, I was going, "damn, this is muffled as shit!", then I saw that it was just a filter at the beginning when the song opened up. Got some real nice off timings here and there--why I love prog in the first place-- could have heard a bit more of that. You've got some pretty sweet techniques, man.

Thanks, Sammy! Yeah, the thing at the beginning was just some envelope of the EQ I was trying. Heard some of my favorite bands do it, so I tried it. Still gotta perfect it.

Fictional Substance
10-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the video. It's inspiring to see skilled hands at work.

Repetition Compulsion
10-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Awesome. I dig this one being a little slower paced and more relaxed, sits well against your other pieces. And I'm jealous of your lead chops & phrasing...rhythm is pretty much all I got in my bag :(

The DI guitars sound fine, especially for a first go at it with amp sims. What are you using? They do a sound a bit more fake compared to your previous stuff, but thats to be expected really. Despite that, they sound a little more full--I didn't notice the quack that we talked about on the last track.

Impressive as always man, keep em coming.