PDA

View Full Version : NEW album of JAZZ done in Reaper!

bobruzzo
09-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Here is a 5 song mini-album, actually a work in progress. I have 5 more tunes to go. But here are 5 that were done in Reaper. I played all instruments, with exception of drums. All original jazzy kinda stuff. Some modal tunes using Mixolydian and Dorian. Guitar was Strat blacktop, VST Rhodes keyboard and electric jazz bass. Guest drummers appear.

https://soundcloud.com/bobruzzo/sets/lome-weird-jazz

sammydix
09-28-2014, 05:35 PM
All guitars were sweet, but that tone of the right guitar was exceptional. Just crisp with depth. What Rhodes VST did you use? Mr Ray?

Summer End sax: is that you? if so, very cool...and then comes that guitar tone again. very nice.

Dorian was my personal fav becaue I really like the bossa nova flavor and the Benson-like octave notes on the guitar. Got a soft spot for anything Latin.

Fast Walkin had some pretty intricate moments and I actually liked the left side strumming more on this one. Those chords got to me.

KaleidosKope gave me flavors of Herbie. Chill song of the batch and flows so well.

Sum up in two words: great musician. I'd be proud of this batch. WILL be watching for future posts.

off&on
09-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the music!

bobruzzo
09-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Thanks off&on and sammydix......well Sammydix thats incredible you were able to guess I used Mr. Ray on those tunes!!! Hahaha how did you guess? I used to use the "Lounge Lizard electric piano" VST but it wont load in reaper. I had to find another rhodes keyboard vst.
The saxophone I used was really a vst called "DVR Saxophone" which is FREE and sounds better than anything I have heard. The guitar tone was a Fender Strat black top with split coil kinda thing. I used the neck position for left side and the bridge/middle for right side. The guitar has humbuckers and has switching to use 1/2 of the 'buckers to get a thinner single coil tone.
I like Latin music alot too and sometimes will include some on a collection. "Fast walkin'" was a tough tune to play. The chords were basically a few minor 7ths and minor 9ths. I almost always use jazz chords on everything. I appreciate your critique man.....you have a good ear. This kind of music is not very big over here in Rhode Island. More people from other places like it though. I will check out your tunes some more today. Thanks for the GREAT review!

sammydix
09-29-2014, 08:47 AM
LL is what I use for a Rhodes tone, but it loads fine in Reaper for me, not sure why that's happening to you, but I have had plugs that I couldn't get recognized no matter what. I used to use Xlutop Chainer and cound never get that to appear in my plugin list. I also have Mr Ray and, msore, a fellow artist on the boards uses it as well, so I recognized the sound.

Listening to KaleidosKope again right now. Think I actually like this one most now.
Yay East coast!

msore
09-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Hey Bob. Cool stuff. I used to use Mr Ray and still use the DVR sax (love it), and appreciate your well-packed, nicely arranged pieces. I'm surprised you say that kind of music is not doing well in RI. Seemed to me I kept hearing stuff like that all the way from Newport, up to Cape Cod and Boston. Maybe not on the radio, but at least in nice restaurants. Your gtr sound is very disciplined (Carlton-ish, or Rittenauer) and so are the other instruments. At certain points I was reminded of old records by Mike Nock and John Klemmer, and I thought your guitar might sound great with the kind of echoing reverb those guys used. I kept wanting some banging and jumping, but that's me, not you. I agree with how fun and accomplished the chording was on Fast Walkin. Solos were good examples of groove that is not repetitive. Each piece had a distinct character. gracias.

sammydix
09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Hey Bob. Cool stuff. I used to use Mr Ray...
Used to? What do you use now?

msore
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Used to? What do you use now?

My default kbd now (in templates in Reaper) is piamo.

Question for bobruzzo - what bass are you using? Sounds VST, nicely done, very even, great lines. 4Front?

bobruzzo
09-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Sammydix, now I have been using Mr Ray because I can tweak it to get the exact sound I want. I dont know why LL wont load, it's just not there in the list of VST's and the .dll is right in with all the other VST's.

Msore, I decided I am gonna re do the tune "Fast walkin'"...I need to do the guitar parts over. I want a cleaner shinier tone. I played the rhythm with fingertips so it isn't as clear as I would like it. Plus I made a couple bass mistakes. New version will be out this week, but man what an excersize!

Most people around here like top 40 "pop" or rock 'n roll. You have to go to Boston or Newport for jazz. But the kinda jazz I do is too quirky for the purists! I kinda emphasize the modal stuff alot and used a bit of quartal harmony on keyboard rhythm tracks. Nobody else around here does what I do. I mean as far as writing and recording originals that use these jazz elements.

I like Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour alot. I also like Denny Dias who was former guitarist during Steely Dan's early days. Santana, Mike Bloomfield, John Cippolina, Sting.......stuff like that.

Glad U liked Fast walkin'.....I just came up with the idea from a guitar riff I had been fooling with. Sometimes I come up with something nice, other times.......the chord changes were challenging. 7+9 chords and M9 chords in rapid succession. Actually the tune is a group of 3 or 4 figures I have used at times.

bobruzzo
09-29-2014, 07:57 PM
MSORE: I recorded with a jazz bass and a VST acoustic bass on one of the songs. I ran jazz bass thru a small amp and into a Steinberg audio interface which records to computer. By the way I completely did "Fast walkin'" over because I didnt like the sound of it...the new version is tighter with a better sound.

msore
09-30-2014, 08:33 AM
BR - you have pretty demanding standards!

bobruzzo
09-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Hahaha....I really like to challenge myself and try to come up with a song I really like. Some I like and others bug me. It is more of an exercise to see what I can pull off. Since I have discovered modes I have a lot more tools for ideas. Some come out crazy and others even my girlfriend likes. I like to try to get a clean and listenable mix. It's hard EQ'ing the bass guitar. If anybody has expertise on this, using Reaper I'm interested.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Fantastic job!!! Kudos! :)

cheers