PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a mix

Groeggskalle
09-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Hi
I'm almost a little embarrased about posting this mix since I just listened to the great mix made by Dream Of Sleeping, but I need some advice.

Could you listen to the song and give me some feedback on how to make this a better mix? The lyrics are in Norwegian if anyone wonders ;)

Drums, bass, and synths are midi.

http://urort.p3.no/#!/Band/fillefrans/Track/108968

msundh
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi, there's nothing to be ashamed of here. Nice song, nice mix.
There is though an overall lack of brightness in the mix. this goes for all parts, vocals and instruments.

Groeggskalle
09-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Aha, so maybe just an exiter on the master-track, then?

Dream Of Sleeping
09-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi
I'm almost a little embarrased about posting this mix since I just listened to the great mix made by Dream Of Sleeping]

haha what? I don't know what the heck i'm doing! If my mix sounded good, it was mainly luck! lol

Your track sounds a lot more impressive in my opinion. So much more complex. I really like the song too. What style of music is this? It's actually very catchy but in a very unusual way. Everything seems to fit together well mix wise. I love the vocals and backing vocals.

Groeggskalle
09-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks a lot! Well, let's just say we both made some good songs ;)

I actually feel the mix gets a little bit crowdy at the climax near the end.

The arrangement is quite funny. The singing is inspired from a traditional style of call and response. The response (the second and fourth line) is the chorus. The melodies are inspired by scales that I've come across in Norwegian and Bulgarian traditional music. The beat I came up with myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's used in some balkan style as well. The text is based on an old saga. A Norwegian prince ventures out to find Paradise, which he doesn't find, but he becomes a christian, and in the end when he dies an angel takes him there :)

whiteaxxxe
09-30-2014, 02:36 PM
nice song. and norwegian language I am used to, I am a big fan of "Lillyhammer" with Little Steven. :-))))) ("can we please talk about that ass-thing? there are some unfortunate connotations with the names ... " :-)))))))

anyway, for those who dont know that: "Lillyhammer" is a glorious Norwegian/American TV show, main character is played by Steven van Zandt as a mafia fugitiv, same character as Pauly in the Sopranos. now in Norway, Lillyhammer. you have to see that ... half of the show is in norwegian, without undertitles. doesnt matter. hilarious!!!

back to topic: as said, it lacks a little bit in brightness. try boosting s little bit broadband at 6.8khz or so. a small amount to make everything a bit clearer. or use Thrillseeker from Variety of Sound, the clean master preset does it nearly every time. :-)))

I had to laugh when I heard the vocals, I didnt understand a word, but this TV show ... oh, man ... you norwegian people are very special. :-))

dont forget: watch "Lillyhammer".

sammydix
09-30-2014, 05:14 PM
For a split second I thought I was hearing Jon Anderson and Yes.
(they switch members so much you have to clarify "which Yes?")

Jorgen
10-01-2014, 01:29 AM
I'd like more vocals... otherwise, very well done. A kicking, dramatic piece from start to finish, high level of writing and performance... best of luck with it, there's an audience in scandinavia for this... folk-prog, I'd call it...

Groeggskalle
10-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks again. Well, I have been listening to both folk music and progressive rock, so that has probably affected my writing :) I'll try that presence-boost. The vocals are hard to make much louder without compromizing everything else that is going on, unfortunately. That is why I thought maybe I should do sth about the arrangement where it gets crowdy. The problem is I don't know what I should take away :/