PDA

View Full Version : Classic meets contemporary prog

m5blackmond
10-07-2014, 06:48 AM
I feel like I'm getting on that Cosmic-level release schedule. Banged this one out in about a week, and I'm pretty excited about it.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-blackmond/turings-machines

I think it's a little smooshed (per the usual), but I feel like I'm getting a bit better at the production. Also it's a little muddy in the 400Hz range, but I couldn't seem to remedy it.

You guys think I should send it off for a professional mix/master?

Again, guitars/bass are DI via Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Drums are Addictive Drums. And of course, all in our magical Reaper.

The title references the fact that I feel like I'm channeling (the band) Yes' bass player at parts (particularly at 1:18), as well as drawing huge inspiration off a new progressive album, Wake, by Hail the Sun.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Fictional Substance
10-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Amazing energy! I don't know what to tell you about sending it off to a "pro" for the mix/master. I hear the mud, but in my own mixes I just move on and keep recording when I'm not happy with them. I guess if I had the money to spend, I'd have someone else do as much as I could afford.

hamish
10-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds great, very good composition and playing. The only things I notice mix wise are in the drums, the way the cymbals sound like they're heaving or pumping with a compressor. Also the snare reverb doesn't fit too well.

Don't take these criticisms too seriously, because I'm not super versed in the genre. Of course I have listened to vintage prog, and I know a couple of guys who write prog tunes, but I don't know the current references in the style. (Meaning contemporary prog)

sammydix
10-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Yes, I could hear a bit of Squire in there. Ham nailed it about the cymbals. Out of all the goodness going on, that jumped right out as a distraction. That's some dynamic playing there.

zeekat
10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Pure class. Still made on that angry Schecter guitar with EMGs? I really should buy a 7 some day.

BTW new soundcloud's song screen is pretty cool.

m5blackmond
10-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Pure class. Still made on that angry Schecter guitar with EMGs? I really should buy a 7 some day.

BTW new soundcloud's song screen is pretty cool.

Yep -- I absolutely love this guitar. I swear I"ve only played on my 6-string like a handful of times since I bought the 7-string. It's a really cool thing going from 7-string to 6-string though. I liken the 7-string to those weights that baseball players use on their bats when they're warming up. Then, the 6-string is when they're actually up to bat with the nice light weight :)

Thanks on the image -- I needed something new and I found some guy on the internet that made it, gave him 5 bucks and he let me use it. It fits well for prog, I think! Complexity, and all that.

Sounds great, very good composition and playing. The only things I notice mix wise are in the drums, the way the cymbals sound like they're heaving or pumping with a compressor. Also the snare reverb doesn't fit too well.

Don't take these criticisms too seriously, because I'm not super versed in the genre. Of course I have listened to vintage prog, and I know a couple of guys who write prog tunes, but I don't know the current references in the style. (Meaning contemporary prog)

Yes, I could hear a bit of Squire in there. Ham nailed it about the cymbals. Out of all the goodness going on, that jumped right out as a distraction. That's some dynamic playing there.

You guys are totally right, and I don't even understand it. Even without my pseudo-master, I can hear the cymbals pumping. I'm very impatient and I just end up moving on, and I stop hearing it...

I'm planning on taking my last 5-6 tracks, compiling all the critiques I've gotten on here (thanks to all of them, my beautiful sweet cockos forum), revisiting all the tracks with those critiques in mind, and sending it off for professional mix/master, then releasing an EP. (I've actually got a sweet drum collab with our very own Hugo that I'm still reworking)

Amazing energy! I don't know what to tell you about sending it off to a "pro" for the mix/master. I hear the mud, but in my own mixes I just move on and keep recording when I'm not happy with them. I guess if I had the money to spend, I'd have someone else do as much as I could afford.

Thanks dude -- are you saying you hear your own mud then just say, aw f*ck it, and move on? Or you hear it and then re-record the guitars until it's gone? Because, dude, you've got no mud, my friend :)

Fictional Substance
10-10-2014, 03:31 PM
...are you saying you hear your own mud then just say, aw f*ck it, and move on? Or you hear it and then re-record the guitars until it's gone? Because, dude, you've got no mud, my friend :)

Thanks, but I meant I hear your mud. I have other issues that I put behind me when I can't seem to get them right. I've come to grips with the idea that it's better to finish something than to work toward perfection. For me, it doesn't exist.

m5blackmond
10-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks, but I meant I hear your mud. I have other issues that I put behind me when I can't seem to get them right. I've come to grips with the idea that it's better to finish something than to work toward perfection. For me, it doesn't exist.

AHHH, I got you now (FYI -- I did understand you regarding hearing my mud).

The way your original comment was worded:

I hear the mud, but in my own mixes I just move on and keep recording when I'm not happy with them.

it sounded like you were talking specifically about muddiness in your tracks (non-existent) rather than just your own (self-prescribed) issues. Now I get it.

I agree on no perfection! We are humans, aren't we?

Fictional Substance
10-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I agree on no perfection! We are humans, aren't we?

Yeah, it's all so subjective. What sounds bad to you sounds great to others and vice versa.

Jorgen
10-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Fab playing, but I could hear the cut and paste/repeated bars all through the song. It was a distraction. Imho.

m5blackmond
10-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Fab playing, but I could hear the cut and paste/repeated bars all through the song. It was a distraction. Imho.

Wow!! Really? The only parts that I really cut/paste were the rhythm guitar at the beginning and in the slow section ~2min. I could not for the life of me play those chords like that 4 times in a row...

All the rest of the sections were pretty continuous, though. Is it that you hear a slight clip between sections? I often write sections by themselves and then just move them together later. Or is it that I'm reusing sections without any variation?

Really good ear that you can hear it. I could only hear it if I REALLY listened for it.

Jorgen
10-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Wow!! Really? The only parts that I really cut/paste were the rhythm guitar at the beginning and in the slow section ~2min. I could not for the life of me play those chords like that 4 times in a row...

This. I heard it right away, it distracted me, and then that part came again, it distracted me again... no big deal.

OpIvy
10-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Seriously? You noticed that?

Mate this is a killer track. I'm not sure how much better a pro could make it thb. Yeah, maybe a lil mud but there is a lot going on, esp with the reverb in there too. So what..... the quality of the overall mix makes up for it. There's too much else to listen for.
Drums sound awesome to me (agree about the cymbals) esp the face smacking kick..

msore
10-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Liked it. What I liked most was the overall sound, mix, dynamics, and some of the changes in arrangement between parts. The drive (not so much the composition) and the syncopation. thanks

m5blackmond
11-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Ahh sorry, guys. I must have totally abandoned this thread :). Thanks for the nice words, OpIvy and msore. Truly appreciated!

mschuster
11-06-2014, 09:18 AM
how did i miss this one??

this does have a tremendous amount of energy!! my god that bass ripped my face off!! ;) dig it! really like the instrumental breakdowns. me like syncopation.. the part around 1:50 is especially nice.

the only thing i noticed was the wee issue with the cymbals, as noted above. other than that, massively nice!