PDA

View Full Version : Little Bit Shy

mschuster
10-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi all.

Some new music for those of you who might be interested. Instrumental Jazzy/Rock.

Would appreciate some feedback if you have a minute.

Thanks,
Mark

https://soundcloud.com/markbschuster/little-bit-shy

Wolffman
10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
You know how every now and then you hear something and you think "WOW" i really like this !!

Well this is one of those times for me.

Great piece of music man, you should be proud !!

Cheers

Edit: what did you use to record the guitar ? is it a real amp ? the dynamics are really good it cleans up nice as you play softer just like a valve amp does.

This gets better with each listen.

mschuster
10-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Edit: what did you use to record the guitar ? is it a real amp ? the dynamics are really good it cleans up nice as you play softer just like a valve amp does.

This gets better with each listen.

thanks man! really appreciate your comments.

the guitar tracks are all DI with ampsims. if you want the specifics, PM me and i'd be happy to send specifics. really happy to hear it sounds good. i really work on them!

Sambo Rouge
10-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Tasty.

I particularly like the contrast between the smooth jazz vibe and the rough lead solo with its raw sounding accompaniment.

Very nice.

mschuster
10-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Tasty.

I particularly like the contrast between the smooth jazz vibe and the rough lead solo with its raw sounding accompaniment.

Very nice.

thanks!

sammydix
10-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Some parts reminded me of a modern Santana in spots. but yes, very nice contrast of classy and rock in this one.

m5blackmond
10-16-2014, 09:08 AM
OOOOOOOH YEAH this is awesome. Nothing really to critique. The only thing that threw me off just slightly was a little bit of latency on the lead guitar at like 1:47 -- like it's just a tiny bit late to my ear.

2:40 AWWW YEAH, GET IT!!! Love to hear the heavy stuff on here! Great lead work right there.

Great work, Mark!

mschuster
10-16-2014, 11:48 AM
@sammydix: Thanks Sam!

@m5blackmond: Thanks! You know, I got a little lazy on this one. Some of the repetitive stuff is cut/paste. ** GASP ** I'm usually much more meticulous, but for some reason didn't have that drive here. Before you know it I'll be eating a bag of chips and downing a hot dog while tracking... ;)

kindafishy
10-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Love the intro.

As always, love the super expressive guitar playing. You sing, man. Great attitude and self assured vibe coming at me here. Very jazzy, percussive playing. Just great melody throughout.

Not much more to say here. I really can't stress enough how much I appreciate your playing. Maybe it sounds cliche, but I really think there is more happening here than just chord/note choices... there is this expressiveness to your playing that draws me in, in the same way that many vocalists draw me in.

mschuster
10-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks Kev! Those are some really nice comments. It doesn't surprise me my stuff doesn't translate well to the masses, but it's always nice to hear a fellow guitarist appreciates it. After all, it is a guitar instrumental.

Your description at the end made me think of Freddie Mercury. His voice always drew me in/moved me.

hamish
10-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Yes, I don't know what to add to what everyone else said, just let me say again 'Pure Class'. That should be in big solid gold rock 'n roll letters too...

mschuster
10-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Yes, I don't know what to add to what everyone else said, just let me say again 'Pure Class'. That should be in big solid gold rock 'n roll letters too...

hey thanks man!

stratman
10-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Really good. I can only echo what's already been said - classy, expressive and great playing.

Pete

mschuster
10-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Really good. I can only echo what's already been said - classy, expressive and great playing.

Pete

Thanks Pete!

msore
10-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Hey Mark, I am sorry I took so long to listen to this. Usually I am on laptop and wait to listen to real music on the big box. Enjoyed! The technique is expressive - somewhere between clean and dirty. Arrangement is killer with layers using each other lushly. Good development. You get the most out of pretty simple elements by putting them into drama. Superb mix, focusing on the guitar, where it belongs. I can hear Bryan Adams singing to this. Or even Delbert McClinton. Soulful. Gracias.

mschuster
10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey Mark, I am sorry I took so long to listen to this. Usually I am on laptop and wait to listen to real music on the big box. Enjoyed! The technique is expressive - somewhere between clean and dirty. Arrangement is killer with layers using each other lushly. Good development. You get the most out of pretty simple elements by putting them into drama. Superb mix, focusing on the guitar, where it belongs. I can hear Bryan Adams singing to this. Or even Delbert McClinton. Soulful. Gracias.

no apology needed. thanks for taking the time to listen and the nice comments!

Btw, is that a jug of homemade beer in your avatar? ;)

msore
10-20-2014, 05:54 PM
no apology needed. thanks for taking the time to listen and the nice comments!

Btw, is that a jug of homemade beer in your avatar? ;)

Yeah. I started up again. That is an amber beer with some added peaches from my yard. Lots of solids in the bottom. I like to leave that in during early fermenting. Deepens the flavor, then you get it clarified later by re-racking. cheers.

I was thinking about your guitar style, and wondered how to say what makes it. I remembered a line I read decades ago in some guitar manual. In the chapter on blues it said, "If a blues musician you would be, then learn to play the melody." And that is what is so friendly about your lead style. Singable.

mostlyjustj
10-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Would appreciate some feedback if you have a minute.[/url]

The drums sound massive. The guitar is effing gorgeous, and sometimes wild. Great 'arc' - the song itself really goes places. Not much to complain about here - I like!

mschuster
10-21-2014, 09:09 AM
The drums sound massive. The guitar is effing gorgeous, and sometimes wild. Great 'arc' - the song itself really goes places. Not much to complain about here - I like!

Thanks man.

About six months ago I decided to switch gears from my usual genre (instrumenal hard rock) and write some more Jazzy/Rock stuff. This tune is number 5 or 6 of that effort. At that time I thought it made sense to swap out my usual "go to" kit (MetalMachine) in Toontrack for something more Jazz oriented. I only have three kits, two of which are metal - so decided to go with Avatar. A common theme concerning the kit started to appear after I posted the third tune here in Collab. It just wasn't cutting it, and frankly - I was really happy either. So, on this one I decided to go back to MetalMachine - and it seems to have helped on multiple levels. It's probably what swayed my writing and introduced that heavier part at 2:35. MetalMachine is just one, if not "THE", best recorded/processed kit from Toontrack (imo). I'm a big fan of Andy Sneap who recorded MetalMachine for Toontrack.

Thanks to everybody who's taken a few minutes to listen and offer up some feedback!

mschuster
10-21-2014, 12:41 PM
I was thinking about your guitar style, and wondered how to say what makes it. I remembered a line I read decades ago in some guitar manual. In the chapter on blues it said, "If a blues musician you would be, then learn to play the melody." And that is what is so friendly about your lead style. Singable.

Completely missed this before... I like that.

There isn't much in this crazy life of mine I'm absolutely sure about, but being a very melodic musician certainly seems to be true. It flows easier these days than years prior. Not sure why. Nothing makes me happier then sitting down, noodling around and coming up with a melody that makes me smile!

zeekat
10-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi all.

Some new music for those of you who might be interested. Instrumental Jazzy/Rock.

Would appreciate some feedback if you have a minute.

Nosey question! Are you formally educated in music? Because that sounds pretty damn clever and non-accidental.

I have no clue about theory but it's kinda apparent when musician knows why his music works instead of just jumping from one happy accident to the another. Fictional Substance from this forum does the same, you can almost hear science in his music. As much as I love my fave musicial-moron artists, some things no matter the talent seem to be near impossible to do without being a bit of an egg head :>

^^
This is lame and obvious observation, but maybe not observed enough. Talent paired with knowledge is pretty damn impressive.

mschuster
10-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Nosey question! Are you formally educated in music? Because that sounds pretty damn clever and non-accidental.

I have no clue about theory but it's kinda apparent when musician knows why his music works instead of just jumping from one happy accident to the another. Fictional Substance from this forum does the same, you can almost hear science in his music. As much as I love my fave musicial-moron artists, some things no matter the talent seem to be near impossible to do without being a bit of an egg head :>

^^
This is lame and obvious observation, but maybe not observed enough. Talent paired with knowledge is pretty damn impressive.

Thanks! I am formally educated, but I'd be lying if I said this piece of music was anything but (as you put it) a happy accident. I generally don't over-think the music I write, or pull back any theory unless I get stuck on something (usually a guitar solo over a key I'm not numbingly familiar with). I simply write what makes me happy and I think sounds good.

There are many artists that I greatly respect for both their talent and knowledge of music theory - Pat Metheny and Al Di Meloa to name a few. However, I also greatly respect Ed Van Halen - who on many occasions has mentioned he has no clue what the theory is behind what he plays - he just plays what sounds good to him!

tspring
10-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Nice fat guitar sound. The chordal melodies are impressive as is the attention to the nuances of guitar technique. One of the things that I like about the composition is that it doesn't fit cleanly into a particular genre. However,The sound of the kick drum pulls the recording in a sort of a metal direction. A more natural kick sound (less loose-head snap) might encourage even more freedom in interpretation of the performance by the listener - which to me would be a good thing. This is certainly not an issue of quality, just a thought, as it wasn't clear from your text whether you chose your kick samples based on limitations of your sample set or strictly because you like the metal-style kick drum sound.

T

mschuster
10-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks Tspring. I have access to a handful of kicks with the Toontrack kits I own. The one I chose is my favorite and I can understand how it might be a little over the top for the jazzier parts of the song. I think given the song ramps up 3/4 of the way in, I'd almost have to have two kits used in the song and automate turning them on/off. Something to think about.

g4greg
10-24-2014, 04:48 PM
man! this is soooo good!

you know, with very little adjustments, this would make a wonderful bed for vocals.. Heck I'd be willing to sing over that if you can't find anyone....

PM me if interested :)

RAWWWK! I love when the big guitars kick in.... and when they leave as well :)

mschuster
10-25-2014, 07:23 AM
man! this is soooo good!

you know, with very little adjustments, this would make a wonderful bed for vocals.. Heck I'd be willing to sing over that if you can't find anyone....

PM me if interested :)

RAWWWK! I love when the big guitars kick in.... and when they leave as well :)

Hey, thanks man! If you feel like adding VOX - go for it! I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with!